Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum free night coupon not honored?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2008, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture

As a Platinum Elite, I booked a weekend stay a few months ago at the Marriott Yorkville in Toronto through the Platinum reservation line to use one of those 2-1 free night coupons they give you in a booklet. Other than telling me I needed to book the standard room rate, there was no indication of a problem using the certificate

Yesterday at check-in, the desk tells me that they wouldn't honor the 2-1 free weekend room night cert because they were in an oversold condition at the hotel. (but they certainly weren't when I made the reservation)

Furthermore, they told me that they have chosen not to participate in any of Marriott's elite rewards programs. As well, they refused to return the coupon to me.

any have this bizarro issue before? The desk was very "not nice" to me... they didn't even have a platinum arrival gift or offer me the points (said that they don't participate in "that" program either)
Old Aug 23, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
The current set of EEOs are valid only for properties in the United States, excluding resorts and other properties with exemptions. Having said that, you need to contact Marriott because (1) They should have given you your coupon back. It is your property unless they accept it. (2) This property is not mentioned in Marriott Rewards as being one of only two or three that do not participate in the program. (Yes, several properties have received exemptions.) I see that they participate in Marriott Reward only room rates. This would not be possible if they do not participate in Marriott Rewards. (3) Because of (2), you are entitled to a platinum welcome gift or the cash guarantee, which I think is $100 (Canadian) if you are in Canada.

You should contact Marriott International Customer Care ASAP. I only have the US number, 800-535-4028. They will contact the property. If this does not get resolved, you should write a letter to Marriott's headquarters and send a copy to the GM of the hotel. I would push hard for the cash guarantee for the platinum arrival gift in your situation and make the property eat the cost.

Added: Marriott lists several properties that do not participate in Marriott Rewards here.

The relevant quote is:
10. Marriott Hotel Brands Participating in Marriott Rewards:
Marriott Hotels & Resorts - all locations
JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts - all locations
Renaissance Hotels & Resorts - all locations
Fairfield Inn/Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott - all locations
SpringHill Suites by Marriott - all locations
Courtyard by Marriott - all locations
Residence Inn by Marriott - all locations except:
Inn at Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL
TownePlace Suites by Marriott - all locations
Marriott Vacation Club International - all locations except:
Marriott's StreamSide Evergreen, Vail, CO
Marriott's StreamSide Douglas, Vail, CO
Marriott's StreamSide Birch, Vail, CO
47 Park Street - Marriott Grand Residence Club, UK
Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club - all locations
Marriott Conference Centers - all locations except:
Aspen Wye River Conference Center, Queenstown, MD (participates as an earnings location only)
NCED Marriott Conference Center, Oklahoma City, OK
Jesse H. Jones Rotary House Conference Center, Houston, TX

Last edited by VA1379; Aug 23, 2008 at 8:34 am
Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:31 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Follow VA1379's suggestions before you check out. The T&Cs state that the Guarantee must be invoked before check-out. So if you wait, you may have more issues to deal with.

And let us know how things work out.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
be persistent with customer care as well....99% of the agents (at least on the US line) are great...but there are a couple that, well, need to find another line of work!

good luck
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Fermat
Yesterday at check-in, the desk tells me that they wouldn't honor the 2-1 free weekend room night cert because they were in an oversold condition at the hotel. (but they certainly weren't when I made the reservation)

Furthermore, they told me that they have chosen not to participate in any of Marriott's elite rewards programs. As well, they refused to return the coupon to me.
Three strikes and they're out:

1- Being oversold has absolutely nothing to do with the EEO 2-for-1 certificate. Rooms were available at an eligible rate when you booked, so you should be good to go here.
2- AFAIK, they don't have the choice whether or not to participate in MR elite benefits or not. They can potentially withdraw from the Marriott system completely, but until they clear such a move with corporate they are stuck adhering to the T&C.
3- Refusing to return your coupon is just plain ludicrous. Even if everything else I said was untrue, there is absolutely no excuse for this behavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.