Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for both replies. I am going to stick with Park Lane based fairly solely on the fact that the Mayfair Club on Park Lane is attached and gives guests free access to a steam room and pool. I find a steam before (or after) a long flight helps me a great deal. It also looks to be a better fitness center and I may want to get a spa service.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:18 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
The 3 seminal Marriott properties in London are:

The Grosvenor House JW is well up to JW standards, you'll find it frequently mentioned alongside Claridges, the Ritz, The Goring, Browns and The Savoy as one of Londons grand hotels. It's not really up to those standards, but, then again it's usually a lot cheaper than any of them. I reckon it's one of the finest places you'll stay on Marriott money.

Marriott County Hall has just completed a major top-to-toe refurbishment and I will be able to update on it later this month, but it's right at the heart of tourist central next to the London Eye with great Thames and Parliament views.

Marriott Park Lane - I've never stayed here as it's always been the priciest for my visits and I've never really understood why. It's well regarded though. On the corner of Hyde Park and Oxford Street.

Grosvenor Square and West India Quay are definitely a rank below these 3 but still good. Marble Arch, Kensington, Maida Vale and Regents Park are simply straightforward Marriott's that do the job but aren't anything special.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Nice summary Bob!

Cheers.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Ugh. Now I want to stay at Grosvenor. Unfortunately that 5th night free is not going to let me split this up.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bergamini
Ugh. Now I want to stay at Grosvenor. Unfortunately that 5th night free is not going to let me split this up.
Relax. PL is terrific, and I say that having only stayed there during the Olympics, prior to the remodel. I very much appreciated its intimacy. More the size of a boutique hotel, rather than the larger spots like the JW Grosvenor House or the County Hall. The shorter walk to the tube was also much appreciated.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:18 pm

Book your ressie at PL (it's not like it's a horrible choice & it does offer the steam room you want), but keep checking back for JW opening up. Or call the ressie line & see if they can talk to the JW about opening up that last night. Both are good choices.

Cheers.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:53 pm

Two Residence Inns are opening in London in 2017 (per Marriott press release):

Excerpt:

"The opening of Residence Inn London – London Bridge expected in Q2 2017 will mark the debut of the company’s industry-leading extended-stay brand in the capital, and the opening of Residence Inn London – Kensington is scheduled to follow in Q4.

Located on Long Lane in Southwark, Residence Inn London – London Bridge will offer 87 generous suites. Well-connected with good transport links, and a short walk from some of the city’s main historic attractions such as Tower Bridge and St. Paul’s Cathedral, it is ideally situated for leisure and business travellers alike.

Residence Inn London – Kensington will be situated on Warwick Road in Earls Court, with 307 suites. The Kensington Olympia Exhibition Centre is a 10-minute walk away, while cultural attractions such as The Victoria and Albert museum, the Science Museum, Royal Albert Hall, and the Natural History museum can be reached within 10 minutes by car."

Cheers.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Located on Long Lane in Southwark, Residence Inn London – London Bridge will offer 87 generous suites. Well-connected with good transport links, and a short walk from some of the city’s main historic attractions such as Tower Bridge and St. Paul’s Cathedral, it is ideally situated for leisure and business travellers alike.
Agreed that this RI will be a good fit for Marriott on the Southbank - 'tho with 87 rooms its gonna price in high for families and tourists.

Residence Inn London – Kensington will be situated on Warwick Road in Earls Court, with 307 suites. The Kensington Olympia Exhibition Centre is a 10-minute walk away, while cultural attractions such as The Victoria and Albert museum, the Science Museum, Royal Albert Hall, and the Natural History museum can be reached within 10 minutes by car."
Now this one, I don't get much. Where's the clientele going to that would stay here? There's almost nothing major nearby this location.

David (currently at the Park Lane on holiday)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:25 pm

wh
Originally Posted by DELee
Now this one, I don't get much. Where's the clientele going to that would stay here? There's almost nothing major nearby this location.

David (currently at the Park Lane on holiday)
While a lot of people prefer hotels in Zone 1/close to tourist things when redeeming points (and if their budgets allow, paid stays), there are also some that will stay at farther locations such as Kensington, Maida Vale, Regents Park, and just tube it to the tourist sites (or to biz mtgs). London's got an excellent public transport system, so I think those who want larger rooms because of family or perhaps less expensive accommodations, it will be an option.

Cheers.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
While a lot of people prefer hotels in Zone 1/close to tourist things when redeeming points (and if their budgets allow, paid stays), there are also some that will stay at farther locations such as Kensington, Maida Vale, Regents Park, and just tube it to the tourist sites (or to biz mtgs). London's got an excellent public transport system, so I think those who want larger rooms because of family or perhaps less expensive accommodations, it will be an option.

Cheers.
OK. One benefit of being near Earl's Court station is that it is on both the Piccadilly and District lines for the Underground. It will at least make it easy to get in and out of LHR. I guess the Moxy ExCel and CY Gatwick will service those going into and out of other London area airports.

David
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Warwick Road isn't necessarily close to a tube station. I can't find the actual address to the Kensington Res Inn but that area in general isn't bad. Lots of restaurants and everything.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:38 am
alc

not sure exactly when, but MOXY London Stratford now listed as Cat 6. Still not bookable and listed as open in July.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Based on that last post, I'm guessing Park Lane. I'm staying on points at end of June. I booked some Urban Villa property on Priceline for a bid price of $54/night for the first 4 nights since I'm going to tennis matches most all day/night then (6/22-6/26), and it's not too far from Queen's Club, but want to stay somewhere fairly fancy and central the last 5 nights (6/26-7/1) of my trip when I'm going to be more relaxed and able to enjoy the amenities of a nice hotel. I picked Park Lane based on 4.6 score on Marriott. I excluded all properties wanting $ + points only.

London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square - 180K
London Marriott Hotel Park Lane - 180K (currently reserved)
Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott - 180K
London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch - 160K
London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale - 140K
Maida Vale was just renovated, like last year. Top to bottom, if I recall. I stayed there a few years ago. While it's not great for touristy sights, it is quite close to the Underground.

I've done a week at Grosvenor House for three years now. The staff is good and the lounge is great -- enough food and drinks at night that I don't eat out, unless I can claim it as a business expense. The only real issue is service outside of the lounge can be inconsistent. Little things go wrong -- like things not being delivered on time, no newspaper, turndown inconsistency, etc.

Some won't like it because the hotel has been very, very slow with renovations of rooms. The lounge was "new" three years ago. Some of the rooms are 10 years past when they should have been renovated. Still, everything is kept clean and in generally good condition.

Best of all is the neighborhood. It is very, very, very nice. Morning walks are great here. I've never seen so many $200-500,000 cars just casually parked on a street before. And for now, the American Embassy is a quick walk away if something happens like your passport gets stolen and you need an emergency replacement. (The Embassy will be relocating eventually.)
Old May 12, 2017, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
The 3 seminal Marriott properties in London are:

The Grosvenor House JW is well up to JW standards, you'll find it frequently mentioned alongside Claridges, the Ritz, The Goring, Browns and The Savoy as one of Londons grand hotels. It's not really up to those standards, but, then again it's usually a lot cheaper than any of them. I reckon it's one of the finest places you'll stay on Marriott money.
I would largely agree, though the J.W. Marriott in Dubai -- the world's tallest hotel -- has incredible service and staff. Outside of Asia and some Ritz-Carlton properties, I would agree that this is the best hotel in the Marriott property. It's really too bad there are so many dumpy Holiday Inn-esque Marriott properties, as there really is no brand consistency anymore between a Marriott or J.W. Marriott in Asia and one in the United States.

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Marriott County Hall has just completed a major top-to-toe refurbishment and I will be able to update on it later this month, but it's right at the heart of tourist central next to the London Eye with great Thames and Parliament views.
I stayed in November for two nights. My rate was an absurd $600 a night -- more than the J.W. Marriott, actually.

The renovations are very nice. A bit nicer than the renovated Marriott properties in the United States, but I think the offerings and services aren't as upscale as the old County Hall. The makeshift lounge -- renovations on the lounge were way behind schedule -- was pathetic, in my opinion. It was never noticed at reservation that the renovated lounge wasn't open. I even made a point to complain to the general manager, but they didn't care. In fact, the duty manager, before I spoke to the general manager, told me this is one of the most-redeemed award stay properties in all of the Marriott portfolio. (It's like the Marriott on St. Thomas. It isn't worth what they charge, but they don't need to be because it's a steady flow of customers.)

Yes, it's a beautiful old-looking building and, yes, it's within walking distance of everything touristy but the J.W. is much better, especially in terms of service and actually caring about its elite-level guests.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
While a lot of people prefer hotels in Zone 1/close to tourist things when redeeming points (and if their budgets allow, paid stays), there are also some that will stay at farther locations such as Kensington, Maida Vale, Regents Park, and just tube it to the tourist sites (or to biz mtgs).
Ding ding ding. I've had about 250 nights in London over the last 7 years. I decided long ago to stay in Zone 2, where the properties tend to be less expensive, quiet, and not overloaded with tourists. Yes, it takes me perhaps an extra 10 minutes on the Tube going to the office in the morning. No problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.