Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vd0t
Any recommendation for the best Marriott to stay in London?
Prefer proximity to Soho and good treatment of Gold members!
The London Edition is closest to Soho. It is located just off of Oxford Street between Soho and Fitzrovia. For location alone, it is my favorite Marriott property in London.

If you choose to book there, you will want to spend a little extra for a higher room class, as the very bottom rooms are tiny. In addition, there is not a perfect correlation between room size and room type, so whatever you book, it is worth asking for the largest room in that class.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
New Autograph Collection property opening in November.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...n-england.html

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:51 am

Residence Inn Kensington opening in April.

Residence Inn London Kensington: London Extended Stay Hotels

Cheers.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Completed an eight-day stay over Christmas at the Grovsnor Square Marriott. As we had our college-aged boys with us we had a suite and an adjoining room. The hotel was very difficult to work with to confirm an adjoining room, and we did this almost 10 months in advance of the stay. I felt they wanted to squeeze as much money out of us to guarantee an adjoining room with two beds. The lounge was overwhelmed and the basement location is not appealing. The lounge staff could not keep the lounge stocked with food let alone clean glassware. Our suite was very large and comfortable, but we found the walls in the rooms to be thin and you could hear your neighbors. We also found the staff in the Maze restaurant to be unfriendly. We would not consider staying here again. I have been traveling to London for decades, and prefer the Langham or the Rosewood, though quite a bit more expensive than the Marriott!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sonomawine
The lounge was overwhelmed and the basement location is not appealing.
What were the demographics of the other guests? Mostly American? I'm always surprised at how many of the guests a couple blocks away at the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House are from the Middle East. Yes, there are a fair number of Americans, but I would wager that they are not a majority. I imagine the number of Americans will only decline now that the U.S. Embassy is gone.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What were the demographics of the other guests? Mostly American? I'm always surprised at how many of the guests a couple blocks away at the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House are from the Middle East. Yes, there are a fair number of Americans, but I would wager that they are not a majority. I imagine the number of Americans will only decline now that the U.S. Embassy is gone.
I would say 90% of the guests were from the Middle East. Most of the time we were the only Americans in the lounge.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:58 am

Completed an eight-day stay over Christmas at the Grovsnor Square Marriott. As we had our college-aged boys with us we had a suite and an adjoining room. The hotel was very difficult to work with to confirm an adjoining room, and we did this almost 10 months in advance of the stay. I felt they wanted to squeeze as much money out of us to guarantee an adjoining room with two beds. The lounge was overwhelmed and the basement location is not appealing. The lounge staff could not keep the lounge stocked with food let alone clean glassware. Our suite was very large and comfortable, but we found the walls in the rooms to be thin and you could hear your neighbors. We also found the staff in the Maze restaurant to be unfriendly. We would not consider staying here again. I have been traveling to London for decades, and prefer the Langham or the Rosewood, though quite a bit more expensive than the Marriott!
I used to stay at this property a lot before switching over to Grosvenor House/JW. They were always stingy w/ upgrades, bennies & having the lounge in the basement wasn't ideal. Agree the staff wasn't as friendly as other properties.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Part of the reason the JW still has Grosvenor House as part of the name is that GH is known in the Middle East (unrelated property) & GH is known in London. JW brand wasn't/isn't. I still tell the taxis to take me to Grosvenor House, not to the JW. They nod & know exactly where to go. When I stayed at GS, it was more American/Europeans than Middle East. GH it's a mix of Americans/Middle East/Europeans, but yes a lot of (very wealthy) Middle East folk. It's never bothered me.

A lot of the Americans that stay at both properties (and Park Lane) are there because they're Marriott brands. That's not going to change even with the embassy move.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I would say 90% of the guests were from the Middle East. Most of the time we were the only Americans in the lounge.
Concur. At the GS I saw a much higher % of women wearing hijabs in the lobby and lounge (compared to a few years ago), similar to what I used to find at the Hyatt Churchill.

Concur 100%. Used to love the GS but received a subpar room last week and was unimpressed with the lounge offerings. Given this price my expectations are a bit higher, and were not me.

I am informed that our corporate rate is actually lower at the Langham (which is closer to our London office), so I expect I may be staying there on my next visit. Will miss the MR points but not much else.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo

I am informed that our corporate rate is actually lower at the Langham (which is closer to our London office), so I expect I may be staying there on my next visit. Will miss the MR points but not much else.
The Langham is wonderful if you haven't been. Be sure to have a pint and dinner at their new pub the Wigmore. I also forgot to mention the showers are terrible at the GS, hot, cold, scald & freeze all within a minute!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The Park Lane has a large percentage of Arab guests as well.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by catocony
The Park Lane has a large percentage of Arab guests as well.
Very true: this sticker was in our night stand at the Park Lane:

David
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:10 pm

Park Lane/Grosnevor House/Grosvenor Square are in Mayfair area, which is an expensive neighborhood. So not surprising some of the wealthier Middle East prefer the area/properties. Doesn't bother me, although it does others.

Cheers.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:58 pm

I pay as much attention to the Mecca locator as I do the mormon bible stashed in all the rooms.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
The primary point I would make is for folks to be aware that different hotels have different clientele bases - and specifically to Americans, not to assume anything or be as frankly crass and unobservant as I've seen some to be.

As an example from another thread, taking a look at the placard behind the door at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott would show folks that the Japanese are considered an important part of many hotels' clientele base in Hawaii.

Bringing this back to the current thread, I was rather dismayed at the rude behavior of some Americans and their families at the Park Lane when we visited versus that of other guests. I would remind everyone that, especially on international travel, you represent your culture and country.

And to refocus on what Marriott is doing in London, I think it is great for all Marriott Rewards members that Marriott is continuing to add more properties in London - 'tho most will likely be Category 7's, 8's and 9's.

David

Last edited by DELee; Jan 25, 2018 at 9:24 am
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:31 am

No one staying in a random hotel is representing anyone other than themselves No one is representing their culture or country, just themselves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.