Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, UA Silver, SouthWest CP, Hilton Diamond
Options for March

My boyfriend and I are taking a quick week long trip to London in March. Thus far I have booked the week at the Grosvenor House JW Marriott on a LNF refundable rate of ~£165 per night, including breakfast. (This is somewhat important because I am not sure I will make the remaining nights this year to keep my gold status with Marriott. ) The other hotels I was looking at were the Marriott County Hall and London EDITION. They are currently ~£223 and ~£282 per night respectively. However I feel like with some work, I could likely get an LNF rate close(ish) to what I currently have booked. Any advise? Should I keep looking for the other hotels? Should I be happy with what I currently have? TIA
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by karrjl
My boyfriend and I are taking a quick week long trip to London in March. Thus far I have booked the week at the Grosvenor House JW Marriott on a LNF refundable rate of ~£165 per night, including breakfast. (This is somewhat important because I am not sure I will make the remaining nights this year to keep my gold status with Marriott. ) The other hotels I was looking at were the Marriott County Hall and London EDITION. They are currently ~£223 and ~£282 per night respectively. However I feel like with some work, I could likely get an LNF rate close(ish) to what I currently have booked. Any advise? Should I keep looking for the other hotels? Should I be happy with what I currently have? TIA
If it were me I'd probably stick w/ what you've got. Rooms at EDITION are very small. If you were going to try & LNF-match, I'd do w/ County Hall.

Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:23 am

If you've never been to London I would recommend County Hall...it's right beside the EYE, Westminster Bridge, Big Ben, boat tours, etc. An easy walk to lots of the tourist sites.

We stayed at Park Lane at Oxford St. last time and in spite of it being remodelled at the time (now finished) it was great boutique type hotel...and 20 steps to the subway. Great executive lounge too. Oxford is a fun, busy and noisy street but we couldn't hear any of it in our room which faced It.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Does anyone have an email address for a contact at Grosvenor Square? I've searched and can't find anything.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, UA Silver, SouthWest CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If it were me I'd probably stick w/ what you've got. Rooms at EDITION are very small. If you were going to try & LNF-match, I'd do w/ County Hall.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by pwrshift
If you've never been to London I would recommend County Hall...it's right beside the EYE, Westminster Bridge, Big Ben, boat tours, etc. An easy walk to lots of the tourist sites.

We stayed at Park Lane at Oxford St. last time and in spite of it being remodelled at the time (now finished) it was great boutique type hotel...and 20 steps to the subway. Great executive lounge too. Oxford is a fun, busy and noisy street but we couldn't hear any of it in our room which faced It.
Thanks SkiAdcock and pwrshift for the feedback. We have been to London before but it was a few years ago in less ideal accommodations due to budget. Also, SkiAdcock you are indeed correct about the rooms at the London EDITION. They do appear to be only about 2/3 the size of the other hotels. However, taking that into account, I was able (after about 7 emails back and forth) to get a LNF rate for a Loft Suite (yes Suite, not just the Loft room) for ~£290 per night, refundable.

So now I have two booked(refundable) options:
Grosvenor House JW Marriott in a Deluxe Room for ~£165 per night, includes breakfast.
London EDITION in a Loft Suite for ~£290 per night.

Or I can continue looking for a LNF rate for the Marriott County Hall? (Which has been elusive thus far.)

Any advice? TIA
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:20 pm

Grosvenor House JW Marriott in a Deluxe Room for ~£165 per night, includes breakfast.

Or I can continue looking for a LNF rate for the Marriott County Hall? (Which has been elusive thus far.)

Any advice? TIA
How much room are you going to spend in the room? I like suites as much as the next person, but given your stay is a week, if you stay at Grosvenor/JW you're saving £825 - which could go towards food, drink, theater, museums, etc.

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Thanks SkiAdcock and pwrshift for the feedback. We have been to London before but it was a few years ago in less ideal accommodations due to budget. Also, SkiAdcock you are indeed correct about the rooms at the London EDITION. They do appear to be only about 2/3 the size of the other hotels. However, taking that into account, I was able (after about 7 emails back and forth) to get a LNF rate for a Loft Suite (yes Suite, not just the Loft room) for ~£290 per night, refundable.

Any advice? TIA
Much of the value of the Edition is in the lobby bars, restaurant, and basement nightclub (all of which cost additional money obviously). If you care about those amenities, then you may want to stay in the Edition; if not, then it may make sense to stay in the Grosvenor House and save the money.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 7:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
How much room are you going to spend in the room? I like suites as much as the next person, but given your stay is a week, if you stasy at Grosvenor/JW you're saving £825 - which could go towards food, drink, theater, museums, etc.

Cheers.
The Grosvenor/JW seems to most commonly provide Marriott Golds with rooms that are at least a junior suite-alcove studio size room or very large rooms. And the lounge has ok amenities.

Unless the space is needed for a rollaway bed or sleeping roommates, I do with the Grosvenor/JW over the Edition suite.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Much of the value of the Edition is in the lobby bars, restaurant, and basement nightclub (all of which cost additional money obviously). If you care about those amenities, then you may want to stay in the Edition; if not, then it may make sense to stay in the Grosvenor House and save the money.
It should also be noted that even if you do spend $ at the venues of EDITION, you receive points for room only. GH/JW (and CH) you get points for all spend. If it were me I'd go w/ the GH/JW & use the £825 savings to underwrite food, drink, museums, for the week. But that's just me.

Cheers.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
I am looking at the GH and the Park Lane for a future stay (will make the award reservation with my wife's Platinum status).

So GH enthusiasts, why should I chose the GH over the Park Lane?

Or if you are PL enthusiast, why chose PL over GH?

(The proximity to Marble Arch tube station makes me more inclined toward the PL.)
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by jmd001
I am looking at the GH and the Park Lane for a future stay (will make the award reservation with my wife's Platinum status).

So GH enthusiasts, why should I chose the GH over the Park Lane?

Or if you are PL enthusiast, why chose PL over GH?

(The proximity to Marble Arch tube station makes me more inclined toward the PL.)
This should probably go in the London family thread as that's more a comparison thread, whereas the property threads are property specific.

If you read this thread though, you'll get a feeling/understand why GH enthusiasts like it. There's really not a need to re-hash it again. Same w/ the PL property thread.

Cheers.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I am looking at the GH and the Park Lane for a future stay
Both are fine hotels and either would be a sound choice.

As Sharon said, this has been discussed on the London thread for years. Here is a simple rule: If you like classic hotels, choose the GH, if you like boutique hotels, choose the PL.

You may have answered your own question.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: MR rewards
London categories

Why Marriott categories in London properties are very high for example Xenia hotel Category 8 if this hotel in other country well be 5 or maximum 6 or Twickenham marriott give it category 7 wich is very high in my opinion !!
Most of other london hotels are 9 or 8
for example in Dubai or Shanghai more luxurious, modern, newer and cleaner properties are category 5 or 6 they are busy also most of the year so i think its not about the income of the property

Any easy way to know how Marriott calculate these numbers?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I believe it's typically based on average room rate.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Supply and Demand, though mostly demand in this case.

Originally Posted by weld3z
for example Xenia hotel Category 8 if this hotel in other country well be 5 or maximum 6
In New York City, no it wouldn't be. In Dubuque, probably.

Originally Posted by weld3z
Any easy way to know how Marriott calculate these numbers?
The specific details beyond the generalities that have been shared? You'd need to get a job with Marriott, probably in the Marketing/Rewards department, to access this proprietary info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.