Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Old May 20, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
One of the best in London

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

86-90 Park Lane London, GB W1K 7TN

One of the best in London (0 Photo)

Stayed 5 nights on points.  Beautiful room overlooking the Park.  Convienent location for the tube.  Impeccable service.  The restaurant was very good as well.  I am ashamed but I had steak with chips 3 nights.  Unlike US properties elite status means something here and points stays are appreciated.  I will go again.

The concierge lounge was superb.  They had a huge variety suiting their international guests and it was well staffed.  The deserts were freshly prepared as we're all other items.  Breakfast was of a similar quality.

One of the best in London

Would you like to write a review on the Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 20, 2016, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jascp
Introduction Stayed 5 nights on points.  Beautiful room overlooking the Park.  Convienent location for the tube.  Impeccable service.  The restaurant was very good as well.  I am ashamed but I had steak with chips 3 nights.  Unlike US properties elite status means something here and points stays are appreciated.  I will go again.
Where?
Old May 21, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Where?
Vicki, you must have images suppressed as the embedded image above his post indicated Grosvenor House.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'd also add stick to St. Ermins. It is close to St. James Park tube, which goes direct to Wimbledon.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Duke787
Going to Wimbledon this summer with my parents. Right now we have St. Ermin's booked but London Marriott County Hall and Grovesnor House just opened up. Is there any reason to switch?

It seems like St. Ermin's we'll have 2 doubles, breakfast in the restaurant, and no lounge whereas at other two there's a chance for an upgrade an an EL but we'd likely have to pay at LMCH for a confirmed room with 2 doubles (instead of 1 King + rollaway).

Being near Tube is important since I'm recovering from knee surgery and we'll be taking the Tube to Wimbledon. That alone probably rules out Grovesnor House unless it's significantly better.
County Hall is very close to Waterloo station and you can get a train direct to Wimbledon from Waterloo, which is probably quicker than the tube ride.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by twa777
Location: In the past, I've avoided this hotel because I've walked by a number of times and the area is always swarming with tourists. However, for someone looking to do tourist-things it London, it's really hard to beat the location. Westminster, Parliament, the London Eye and the Southbank Center are all at your doorstep, and the West End and Soho are a reasonable walk across the Thames on a pedestrian bridge to Embankment. In retrospect, I now wish I had stayed here before on other trips.
Thanks for the review! I'm thinking about County Hall because of its proximity to the National Theater. The two look like they're just blocks apart. Also, fitness/recreation facilities are very important to me. Did you have any experience with the facilities at County Hall, which look fabulous on the website?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by twa777
Platinum, I was given an upgrade to a river view room with a nice view of the Thames and Parliament, and a very up-close view of the London Eye. In fact, the Eye was so close that the pods were going right by my room. Despite the great view I kept my blinds closed much of the time so I didn't feel like people were looking in my window.
The last time I stayed there I got the same room (or one above/below it). While it was a river view I kept my blinds closed because the London Eye pods were so close people could see into the room - which of course negates the views of the river etc if you have to basically keep the blinds closed.

I think the property is fine for first time tourists, but once you've done the stuff around there I like other properties better.

Cheers.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by philwupdx
Thanks for the review! I'm thinking about County Hall because of its proximity to the National Theater. The two look like they're just blocks apart. Also, fitness/recreation facilities are very important to me. Did you have any experience with the facilities at County Hall, which look fabulous on the website?
Yes, the National Theater is an easy walk from County Hall -- the only difficult part is getting through the crowds of tourists by the London Eye. A tip if you do stay there: the shortcut to get down to the walk along the Thames is to cut through the bar at the entrance to the restaurant. There's an exterior entrance there that will take you out to a terrace with stairs down to the walk.

But no, I didn't get to check out the fitness facilities there. When I'm in London on vacation, between lots of walking during the day and often going to dance clubs in the evening, I find I get a decent workout (at least for me) without that.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM; MR Gold
Question re: JW Grosvenor House Room Renovation

Looking through the updated pictures for the JW Grosvenor House, appears that the renovation of the lobby, lounge and larger suites (exec suite and up) is now complete. Any word on if/when management plans to renovate the remaining guest rooms (deluxe, superior, exec)? While I have always enjoyed the rooms, I think they are in need of renovation, so hoping they are next on the list. Or better yet - it's already underway. Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, AC 25K
Hi,

I am planning a trip in late August on points and am a Platinum member. Narrowed choices down to Park Lane, Grosvenor House, or Pancras Renaissance. As I will most likely be in an entry level room, quality of club lounge is very important.

Does my platinum access to Chambers Club tip the choice to Pancras or are the others still good options?

Last, where did you see that platinums get access to Chambers Club or was it just confirmed from the hotel directly?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Horace
Here are the seven Central London hotels I considered, along with bullets summarizing my notes about each. I finally decided on Park Lane, but I seriously considered all of them.

London Marriott Hotel Park Lane
  • Category 9
  • Boutique luxury hotel
  • Smaller, but very good Executive Lounge for Gold and Platinum
  • Recently renovated
  • Underground station at same corner as hotel
  • Well located for tour bus stops, Oxford Street shopping
  • High marks on TripAdvsior

• Category 9
  • Large luxury hotel
  • Biggest, best Executive Lounge for Gold and Platinum
  • Recently renovated
  • No Underground station right by hotel, but several within a 3/10 to 5/10 mile walk

London Marriott Hotel County Hall
  • Category 9
  • Large deluxe hotel
  • Currently undergoing renovation, which should be complete before summer
  • Executive Lounge and separate breakfast room for Gold and Platinum (although seems to be a moving target due to renovations)
  • Many attractions in walking distance
  • Several Underground lines reasonably close
  • Stunning view from room if you're upgraded or you pay extra

London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
  • Category 9
  • Was once the only Marriott in Central London (I stayed there then)
  • Executive Lounge for Gold and Platinum
  • Good location on Grosvenor Square in Mayfair, away from busy boulevards
  • Close to Grosvenor House JW and Park Lane, which both seem to offer more
  • Undoubtedly still a good place to stay with points if Grosvenor House JW and Park Lane are unavailable

St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London
  • Category 9
  • Historic, beautifully restored railroad hotel with modern wing added (where most rooms are located)
  • Chambers Club Lounge is spectacular, but only available to Platinum (or if booked in very expensive Chambers room or suite)
  • Gold gets breakfast in the restaurant
  • Excellent railroad and Underground access

London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch
  • Category 9
  • Should be Category 7 or 8, not 9
  • Modern, "standard" Marriott hotel
  • Executive Lounge for Gold and Platinum
  • Not as close to actual Marble Arch (or Marble Arch Underground station) as Park Lane is

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
  • Category 8
  • No lounge
  • Boutique deluxe hotel
  • Historical, "very British" property
  • Well-located, although not right in a tourist area
  • Breakfast for Gold and Platinum in restaurant
  • High marks on TripAdvsior

I'm posting this list because it might be useful to others. If anyone wants to offer additional details or thinks I'm wrong about anything, please post.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by airswim
Does my platinum access to Chambers Club tip the choice to Pancras or are the others still good options?
Last, where did you see that platinums get access to Chambers Club or was it just confirmed from the hotel directly?
Thanks
Yes, IMO, access to the Club is a choice tipper, as long as the neighborhood is your cup of tea (it certainly is mine). As to platinum lounge access, here it is straight from the horse's mouth (so to speak). https://www.tripadvisor.com/FAQ_Answ...ld_status.html

Last edited by ohmark; Jun 19, 2016 at 10:28 pm
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ohmark
Originally Posted by airswim

Yes, IMO, access to the Club is a choice tipper, as long as the neighborhood is your cup of tea (it certainly is mine). As to platinum lounge access, here it is straight from the horse's mouth (so to speak). https://www.tripadvisor.com/FAQ_Answ...ld_status.html
I agree, and stay here often. I also like the neighborhood and while I walk a lot (10+ miles/day) there are also great transportation options here including a day trip to Paris if you like, as Eurostar is right at your doorstep.

The added plus is rates are usually lower than the other high end MR properties, with the exception of St. Ermin's which is usually around the same price point as SPR. I have a Ł228/night refundable rate booked for later this year. I can't justify burning 45K pts/night at that rate. Rooms are basic, beds are comfy, which works out well since the time I spend in the room I'm usually asleep. And lounge is well worth it IMO.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Just got back from a 3 night stay at the JW Grosvenor House, which I picked based on location (my colleagues were staying near the marble arch tube station) and the descriptions in this thread. I'm a new Marriott gold, and have to say I was very pleased with my stay. On check-in I was told I had been upgraded- I don't know what the room type was (I had booked the most basic room class), but whatever I got was quite spacious, comfortable, and quiet. The amenities and furnishings were good - not quite up to Conrad St. James standards, but better than the Marriott properties at which I've stayed in Paris. The best part for me was the lounge. The breakfast there was probably the best lounge breakfast I've had anywhere, with a really nice selection of quite high quality items (the fresh-squeezed orange juice and coffee were both excellent). Also, at the time I had breakfast (around 6:30am) the lounge was relatively empty, so I had my pick of seats. I stopped in for cocktails twice in the evening; the second night the place was like a zoo, with all chairs occupied, and large, loud gatherings in various corners of the room. Both nights, however, the selection of food and snacks was pretty good. I was a bit disappointed that there was no hard liquor, only wine and beer, as I crave a bit of scotch in the evening, but I guess this is a Marriott thing? I noticed the same at a few other Marriott properties in Europe where I had lounge access, but those hotels also had much sparser food offerings, so I thought they were just being cheap. With that as my only real downside, the JW is going to be my top choice the next time I'm in London.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I don't think I've seen a concierge lounge where hard liquor was free. Nowhere in the Americas or in Europe that I've seen. Maybe in Asia you get the good stuff gratis.

In the US it's an honor bar, if available at all (not all hotels do). At least the wine and beer are free in Europe and most other spots outside the US.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:23 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by catocony
I don't think I've seen a concierge lounge where hard liquor was free. Nowhere in the Americas or in Europe that I've seen. Maybe in Asia you get the good stuff gratis.

In the US it's an honor bar, if available at all (not all hotels do). At least the wine and beer are free in Europe and most other spots outside the US.
Not at Marriott, but it is free in a lot of the Hilton Hotels in Europe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.