Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]

As of June 2022 :

Chambers Club opening hours:
Opens at 7am until 10pm
Club’s Breakfast : Weekdays : 7am-11am, Weekends: 7am-12pm
Club’s Pre-Dinner Snacks : Daily : 5:30pm-7:30pm Hot snacks, Cold snacks, and dessert buffet including complimentary house spirits.

As a part of Club experience you may bring one additional guest to the club with you and any additional will be subject to Club access fee of £80 per person.
Print Wikipost

Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Krischey
Don't mean to thread jack, but does anyone have any input on how the hotel and location compares to the JW Grosvenor House? I have a stay currently booked on points for the Grosvenor and will be in London on vacation, wondering which hotel is better located for tourism and overall which is a better property? Thanks!
From reports on STP & knowing GH, they're both good properties. GH is closer to tourism type things, so it gets the edge there. But STP is near a major transpo hub, so catching the tube wouldn't be difficult.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM; MR Gold
St Pancras Renaissance Trip Report

Caveat: I am very tardy with this trip report as my stay was 2 months ago during the soft opening, but wanted to share in case others find helpful.

I booked a basic Barlow room (new wing, queen or 2 twins) during the hotel’s “soft opening” period prior to the Grand Opening on May 5th; requested an upgrade to a Barlow King through the virtual concierge. When I printed my confirmation prior to leaving, was happily surprised to see that I had already received the upgrade and the King Barlow was guaranteed. Arrived around 11:30 a.m., security at the door verified that I was a guest (security is very tight at the hotel given the local interest in the renovation and attachment to the rail station). Check-in staff very friendly but my room was not ready; given a tour of the ground floor and stayed in the Chambers lounge while waiting for the room. After an hour, I was told I was being upgraded to a Chambers room (original building with direct access to the lounge) and that caused delay. OK by me. The room was ready shortly thereafter, and a staff member took us up the flight of stairs located in the lounge – very convenient.

Room was stunning – 20 ft ceilings (aprox), floor to ceiling windows, and little sitting area, walls a lovely shade of green (the room is pictured in the hotel’s photo gallery under Chambers Junior Suite) Since these room were not originally en suite, they basically created a “room w/in a room” for the bath. It was a little small – shower, no tub, singe bowl sink, commode right next to sink – not a lot of extra room. So I don’t think the room was actually a junior suite. I certainly didn’t mind since it was an upgrade – just letting readers know that not all of the rooms on the Chambers side have the grand bathroom with the big tub, so if that’s important to you, confirm when booking. Mini-bar had beer and liquor but no wine. Our butter brought wine and additional beers up at our request, and these were included in the room rate. And her also brought up delicious macaroons, strawberries and nuts.

While we were walking around the event space on the first floor, including the Ladies Smoking Room, there were Marriott folks also surveying the rooms. My BF commented on how long it would take the developer to re-coup his investment, and lo and behold, the developer was one of the folks surveying the room. He talked to us for 15 minutes or so about the development – particularly the Smoking Room and the Gilbert Scott suite and the stringent guidelines they had to follow since the building is Grade 1 listed (I think that’s the right term, but could be mistaken). Very down to earth guy – he joked that he grandchildren may be able to afford college if he’s lucky =). Event rooms and hallways – really, all the public spaces on the first floor of rooms were STUNNING. The Grand Staircase was breath taking – the highlight of the building IMO.

Service from the wait staff in the Chambers lounge was spotty, but the management staff members in the lounge were very solicitous and engaging. There was a little confusion about what was offered during breakfast – I didn’t see anything hot, just continental standards, but since this was during the soft opening, they might not have had everything set up. House red, white, and sparkling wine included, additional options available for purchase, and they came by he tables to take orders. They had a good selection for afternoon tea (little sandwiches, veggies, pastries, scones with jam) and a very nice selection of evening canapes. The lounge has much more of a posh and trendy “wine bar” vibe as compared to the club at the Grosvenor House (GH), for instance – which has more of a business feel. But it's a very open space, with a lot of light during the day. The hotel staff members were very considerate and friendly – the only drawback, and this probably b/c we were there during the initial opening, was intense scrutiny from the security staff.

Overall, I loved the hotel because it’s a little slice of history that I had a chance to “live in” – and I would gladly stay there again if I can find a good rate – if for no other reason than to just walk down that staircase again. But I am more comfortable and at home at the GH – the St Pancras is a little too grand for me. And the location, while offering convenient access to Kings Cross Station (lots of little shops and eateries - and a champaign bar), is not quite as nice as the GH in Mayfair IMO – at least for just enjoying a peaceful stroll after dinner or a pleasant walk to Buckingham Palace, St James, Trafalger, which is certainly do-able from the GH. You can walk to Regents Park from the St Pancras – which is lovely…it’s just the direct environment is slightly less appealing (and was apparently quite rough 20 years ago, but not as bad now...and you're not far from Camden/Islington). But these are not reasons to skip the St Pancras - the hotel is a destination in and of itself…really, if you can stay there at least once, go for it…you won’t be disappointed.

Last edited by waterbug111; Jun 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm
Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Need input/advice for this August

I (and my husband and teenage son) have a 5 night rewards stay booked at both the County Hall (our usual) and the Renaissance St. Pancras. I have been following every comment here and on tripadvisor in order to decide between the two. We're just a month away, and I'm still torn. I'm excited about seeing the renovated Midland Grand, but I am concerned by of some of the comments I've read about both lackluster and overly intrusive service (and not just in the first few weeks). I'm also concerned that if we do not get upgraded, the standard Barlow room with a view of an alley, brick wall, or the station roof will feel small for the three of us (we're always given a large room at the County Hall, generally with a river view).

If you've stayed in the standard Barlow rooms, please let me know if you think we'll be cramped.

If you've stayed at the Renaissance St. Pancras recently, share your experience with the service.

And if you've stayed at both the CH and the Renaissance St. Pancras, please offer your advice.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Mini TR

As a regular at RCC, (50+ nights there last year), I needed a new London home. GH is nice as is Grosvenor Square, but both are a pig to get to our office from and although I'll stay there at times, I was looking at something closer.

Had my first trial stay at RSP this week and it seems outstanding.

Location & transport links

In St Pancras station itself, which is a transformed building with a range of eating, drinking and shopping within walking distance. There’s much more than the standard railway station fare with some decent looking places to eat, and two branches of M&S within a 2 minute walk for those who fancy a room picnic.

Euston is 5 minutes away and Kings X / St Pancras tube and main line stations are on the doorstep so public transport links are fantastic. There is a Boris’s bike stand on the opposite side of Euston Road.

On the downside, the immediate area is less than lovely. Kings Cross has been cleaned up but it is in a different league to the environment around CH or GH for example. For tourists, there’s a tube or taxi ride to almost any attraction.

Ambience

The public areas have a real wow factor. The entrance itself is grand, and the reception area is fantastic with the old Gilbert Scott building and a glass roof making it light, airy and almost cathedral like. There looks to be a meeting room behind the reception area that has the same style and would be a great place for an event.

Staff are smartly turned out and all are very helpful – almost too much so at times.

The room keys and all of the brochures have a distinctive Midland railway logo pattern on them – very smart.

Rooms

The Barlow rooms are in a modern wing at the back and by the look of the fire plan, all seem to be the same size. For a London hotel they are spacious and the odd numbered rooms have a view over the street and side of the British Library.

Nice room, with big flat panel TV, chaise longue, all the usual amenities. Bathrooms looked very smart, although mine only had a (huge) shower.

Wi-fi worked well, was fast and free to a Plat. I had two devices connected without issue.

Bars & restaurants

The Booking Office bar is in another very impressive space next to the lobby. It is also part of the original building and has a dark, slightly clubby ambience along with huge ceilings and large windows overlooking the platform concourse.

There is an excellent selection of wines by the glass which seem to be delivered from some gas blanketed storage unit to keep them fresh, and a decent menu of snacks and meals. I’d rate it above the equivalent at RCC, GH and CH.

There is also a Marcus Wareing restaurant for more formal dining. The room looked good as did the menu, but I didn’t have time to sample it.

Lounge & elite treatment

The Chambers Club (aka Exec Lounge) is again part of the original building and is a splendid space, with the same high ceilings and huge windows, this time overlooking the front of the station.

Breakfast has hot options as well as the usual cold collections and they looked a cut above the average at least equal to, if not better than GH or RCC and streets ahead of places like CH.

The evening spread is similarly impressive, supplemented by a free bar with wine, beer and spirits. The only downside is that, unlike GH, there is no Laphroaig on offer.
Check in was nothing special, although I sensed that the agent was new to the hotel as he seemed to be feeling his way around the systems.

I had a “Barlow Club” room that probably wasn’t much different to the normal Barlow rooms – according to the floor plan they all seemed the same size, but did have a nice plate of strawberries and clotted cream with 2 large bottles of water waiting for me when I went upstairs.

On checking out, the agent started processing my bill, then lifted the phone up and said to someone at the other end “thegoderic is checking out”. This resulted in someone appearing at reception to thank me for my stay and check if I’d enjoyed it, which was a nice touch.

In summary a great place to stay, in a location that is convenient for me and is likely to become my new home in London. I have 2 single night stays there next week, then 3 days the week after so will report anything else after those.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by lexdevil
I (and my husband and teenage son) have a 5 night rewards stay booked at both the County Hall (our usual) and the Renaissance St. Pancras. I have been following every comment here and on tripadvisor in order to decide between the two. We're just a month away, and I'm still torn. I'm excited about seeing the renovated Midland Grand, but I am concerned by of some of the comments I've read about both lackluster and overly intrusive service (and not just in the first few weeks). I'm also concerned that if we do not get upgraded, the standard Barlow room with a view of an alley, brick wall, or the station roof will feel small for the three of us (we're always given a large room at the County Hall, generally with a river view).

If you've stayed in the standard Barlow rooms, please let me know if you think we'll be cramped.

If you've stayed at the Renaissance St. Pancras recently, share your experience with the service.

And if you've stayed at both the CH and the Renaissance St. Pancras, please offer your advice.
CH rooms may be bigger (or smaller) but Barlow rooms would be fine for 2 + 1. They're not cramped at all.

As I say in my TR above there's not much to do once you're outside the hotel and the station area - CH is better in that respect.

On every other level, RSP is streets ahead of CH.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by thegoderic
The evening spread is similarly impressive, supplemented by a free bar with wine, beer and spirits. The only downside is that, unlike GH, there is no Laphroaig on offer.
First, thank you for the trip report. It was very helpful. We'll definitely opt for the Renaissance St. Pancras now.

Second, I wonder if the UK lounge drinks policy is in the process of changing (and if it is changing at the RSP). It has, based on comments in another thread, been in flux. As I was checking out the descriptions of the rooms at the RSP on the Marriott website, I found a puzzling inconsistency.

In the description of a Barlow Club room:
Complimentary Cocktails
Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages
In the description of all of the Chambers rooms:
Cocktails, for a fee
Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages
Clearly, one is incorrect. The question is which one. Given that the Barlow Club room is the only one listing complimentary cocktails, I wonder if it was an oversight. Could the drinks policy in the lounge have changed in the short time since your stay?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've found a # of hotels say cocktails for a fee on the website yet the drinks are free. Or they might have switched it to beer & wine is free but hard liquor is not. I've seen both.

Cheers.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:53 am

There's (basic) wine, beer and spirits free at RSP as well as GH.

Incidentally I'm in a Chambers room at the moment which is very grand but a little cramped and impractical compared to the Barlow room I had last week.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've found a # of hotels say cocktails for a fee on the website yet the drinks are free. Or they might have switched it to beer & wine is free but hard liquor is not..
I received the following clarification from the GM.

Dear lexdevil,

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback. I will have the website updated. Our standard is not to charge for what we call standard pour drinks in the Chambers Club. If you choose to upgrade your wine, Spirit, or Champagne to something more expensive than our standard pour then we do apply a charge. It should be pointed out to guests what is and is not charged.
I think this is in line with what folks have experienced. I was very impressed with the speed of the reply.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by thegoderic
Incidentally I'm in a Chambers room at the moment which is very grand but a little cramped and impractical compared to the Barlow room I had last week.
Interesting. The Chambers Junior Suite looks to be about 25% larger than a Barlow King (463 square feet as opposed to 344 square feet). Is there a Chambers room smaller than the Junior Suite, or is the room just awkwardly configured?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil
Interesting. The Chambers Junior Suite looks to be about 25% larger than a Barlow King (463 square feet as opposed to 344 square feet). Is there a Chambers room smaller than the Junior Suite, or is the room just awkwardly configured?
I've now tried out a Chambers Club Room (178) and a Junior Suite (355).

There is a considerable difference in size between the two.

in the first they've built a large bathroom space in the room which does use up a good deal of floor area. It's a bit like some of those in the Hilton Waldorf with no doors (except for the loo) and had a huge bath.

The junior suite is much more conventional with a lovely bathrom in the corner of the room, which is proobably larger to start with.

Although both are high on style, there are a few practical details that are done better in the Barlow rooms. For a start the work desk is a circular table which I find hard to use when typing as theyr'es no wrist support, and the power strip that's built into the desk for the junior suite is too narrow to take a MacBook power adaptor.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, American Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
As a former loyal Chancery Lane resident (probably stayed there 5-6 times), alot of my impressions on services will be in comparison to that property. Staying at the Renaissance St Pancras now for 2 nights. Had a tour of the hotel upon arrival and they definitely didn't scrimp in the refurb. The common areas are spectacular. As reported, security is tight although nobody has overtly asked if I'm a guest I've gotten quite a few "can I help you's" while walking around.

The club lounge is quite a bit more spacious than the Renaissance Chancery Lane...they serve high tea with really good clotted cream and scones, canapes with 2 hot options, 2 cheeses and a couple of cold items. Good booze selection with 8 wines available and hard liquors. Weird that they don't serve dessert separately like most clubs in Europe (and like Chancery Lane used to), it just sits there with the canapes. Also, dessert range is disappointing...I miss the creme brulee selection that happened every night at RCL (at least 3 were always avail!). Sadly, also missing the carbonated juice range that Chancery Lane used to have. Haven't had breakfast yet.

My room is in the Barlow wing, good aircon, great furnishings in the rooms. However, the corridors have a weird smell to them and are clearly not airconditioned they are so stuffy. Same with the elevators (and the elevators are SO SLOW!). The fitness center, pool, spa area is fantastic (although you have to cross the lobby from the Barlow to get there) and is a clear plus on the old Renaissance Chancery Lane offer. Overall, I've been pretty pleased with the offer here and would stay again given the right circumstances.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: air canada
Thanks for the review and the comparison to Chancery Court (not Lane). I usually stay at County Hall but scored a fantastic rate for St P starting this Sunday - looking forward to seeing how the moeny was spent on the renovations.

Also thank you for the comment on the power bar - I will make sure that I pack a small extension cord that I have.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:08 am

Checked in to a Barlow king on points yesterday. We were early (around 1:30 PM, so waited in the Chambers Club for a bit). Pluses and minuses thus far are noted below. Though I do list a number of minuses, they are mostly niggling, and outweighed by the more substantial pluses.

+ Room is comfortable and generally well designed.
+ Bed is very comfortable.
+ Room is very quiet -- no traffic noise in the morning, though we do have a window overlooking the street.
+ Media bar has sockets for UK, US and EU plugs.
+ I like the card keys that do not need to be inserted into the lock.
+ Good A/C in room.
+ Roll-away brought well before bed time. Man who brought it also offered to bring extra towels and did so.
+ Chambers Club is spacious and beautiful.
+ Nice large-format photos of London (and not tourist shots and landmarks) in the hallways of the Barlow wing.
+ Nice thick, large bath towels.
+ Solid selection of food on the breakfast buffet in the Chambers Club. Sausages, cheeses, and smoked salmon were especially nice. Good quality bread as well.

- Failed to offer platinum amenity choice. I requested it when the front desk called our room to check if everything was alright.
- No internet access in Chambers Club during our wait for our room (we arrived a bit early) because we had not yet been given a room number. Wanted to ask for help, but the club attendant disappeared for quite a while, and I didn't want to walk back to reception because getting back to the club without a room key would be complicated.
- The elevators are really hot! I think it's from the overhead lights, which are quite hot to the touch. Not nice when you're making your way to your room from a muggy journey by tube.
- Towel bar looks sharp, but is too flush to the wall to accommodate the thick bath towels.
- Open shower has very shallow lip so water was nearly overflowing onto bathroom floor in the course of a pretty short shower. The drain is also very slow. I predict frequent disasters as a result of this.
- Form over function decisions in Chambers Club make for some awkwardness at breakfast. Small rectangular plates look cool, but don't hold much food. They're also impossible to rest your knife on. It slips off of the lip and into your food without fail. The Staub cast iron pots from which they serve hot food are great to cook in, but they make terrible buffet serving pieces. You can't see into them, so you have no idea what they hold (they do not post signs either). Additionally, you must remove the heavy lid and set it down somewhere in order to serve yourself, but there's really no place to put it.
- No tongs for serving bread at breakfast in the Chambers Club. That's just gross! There are also whole loaves and a bread knife and cutting board. I used a cloth napkin to pick up the loaf and hold it while I cut it, but I'll bet others did not. Double gross.
- A couple of misses at breakfast in the Chambers Club. Terrible strawberries that looked good but had little flavor. What flavor they did have was rather bitter. The kitchen staff need to taste the berries. When they're no good, they should be macerated with a bit of sugar and a squeeze of lemon to make them palatable. The flabby bacon (streaky) steaming away in the Staub pot was rather unattractive. I am a great fan of swine in any form, and I closed the lid and did not look back. I know this is being picky, but the food should live up to the great room instead of meeting the generally weak standard of concierge lounge breakfasts.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: air canada
No lounge access if only gold

Very disappointed. Just checked into a Barlow King room and was informed that there is no access to the Chambers Club for me. Looking back through these threads there are some that have used the Club staying in a Barlow room - but i think thye are platinums. oh well - am only here for three nights. The gold benefits are a healthy start breakfast in the booking office restaurant and one complementary cup of coffee in the afternoon and one complementary bottle of camden beer or one glass of house wine wine in the evening and a light selection of snacks.

I guess there are too many golds - ironic as I was two nights of platinum last year and decided to stay at another hotel for my last stay of the year so that I would have rollover nights - did not see much differenece between plat and gold. And then not all the nights rolled oveer because some of the nights had rolled over from the previous year!!!

Such is life.

Will post a review after the total experience but so far I think it is back to CHM for my next trip at the begining of next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.