Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

TORONTO: Renaissance Skydome or Marriott Eaton Centre?

Old May 20, 2008, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

I will be in Toronto for 5 days in mid-September. My choices are the Renaissance Skydome or the Marriott Eaton Centre. My business in town will be in the Financial District, which is about midway between the two hotels, so location is not an issue. I was told the Concierge Lounge is closed on weekends at both hotels . No info on which, if either, provide breakfast coupons.
Any experiences at either hotel to help me decide would be greatly appreciated.

Newman
Old May 20, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
I cannot speak for weekend CL or the Eaton. I was at the REN twice. I had a great suite once. The only problem was it was a LONG walk back to the corner rooms. If you are a baseball fan, they may be able to hook you up with a view.
Old May 21, 2008, 7:39 am

Can't comment on the Renaissance, but I did stay at the Eaton Center Marriott. It was a typical FS Marriott. I did have a heck of a good time in the club lounge. It was during the football play-offs and we had a good crowd there. A great time was had by all. I had no complaints with the hotel and I stayed there for a few days (maybe about 4 or 5).

Bobette
Old May 21, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
I stayed for 4 nights at the Eaton Centre Marriott last November. They were just finishing the refurb - all the rooms were done, just the lobby area was being completed. I found the staff were particularly friendly and helpful and absolutely would not accept a tip - "no thank you sir, its all part of the service" was the polite refusal if I attempted to tip anyone. I have not been to the Ren so can't comment.

At the time I was a Silver so I don't know what their policy is regarding breakfast coupons for Golds and Plats.
Old May 21, 2008, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by GlennTheBaker
I stayed for 4 nights at the Eaton Centre Marriott last November. They were just finishing the refurb - all the rooms were done, just the lobby area was being completed. I found the staff were particularly friendly and helpful and absolutely would not accept a tip - "no thank you sir, its all part of the service" was the polite refusal if I attempted to tip anyone. I have not been to the Ren so can't comment.

At the time I was a Silver so I don't know what their policy is regarding breakfast coupons for Golds and Plats.
I agree w/ the staff comments above re: EC. Since my stays were during weekdays the e.l. was open. Last time I was at Skydome it was a dif hotel I think. Been a while on that one. Cheers.
Old May 21, 2008, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GlennTheBaker
I'm looking forward to the comments about the Renaissance, as I'm pondering this exact same thing for next month.

I stayed at this Marriott before. They were just getting going with the construction thing. They were downstairs doing their thing with the lobby and restaurant (I think this was late August last year).

I did not find the staff terribly friendly...either in check-in, or (definitely) at check-out.

Had the exact same tip experience happen, though. It's a shame the nicest guy who I dealt with wouldn't take a tip.
Old May 21, 2008, 3:43 pm

I stay at both of these properties several times a month. In fact I'm currently at The Marriott Eaton Centre.

- BOTH give vouchers for breakfast on weekends (REN gives full buffet)

- Renaissance is excellent with suite upgrades (My 6 stays this year have all been suites)

- Location wise you are better off at Marriott Eaton Centre it's on Bay St. (Canada's Wall St.)

- Rooms are much more modern at Marriott and they have the new bedding and flat screen tv's where Renaissance doesn't.

- Lounge wise Renaissance is more intimate but Marriott has better selection of food. Weekday breakfast Marriott wins hands down as they give you full buffet access to the restaurant which is just outside the lounge.

- Service wise Renaissance is friendlier over-all but both lounge staff are excellent.

Hope this helps
Old May 21, 2008, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I've stayed at both, and both are good.

Eaton Centre strikes me as a bit more comfortable and more friendly. That said, you're probably more likely to get an upgrade at Skydome/Ren/Rogers (or whatever it is). Food and CL are good at both, although I prefer the atmosphere at EC.

Bring your hiking shoes if you're at the Ren and have a corner room.
Old May 30, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: MR Plat;NWA GE; UA Prem Exec
Beware - the Toronto International Film Festival is Sept. 4th -13th. If you do not already have a room reserved during that time peroid, you may be already SOL for anything in downtown Toronto.

I prefer the location of the Eaton Centre. I have not stayed at the Ren, but I have stayed at the Royal York, which is near.
Old May 30, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: MR Plat;NWA GE; UA Prem Exec
Originally Posted by LessO2

I did not find the staff terribly friendly...either in check-in, or (definitely) at check-out.
My experience has been exactly the opposite. Of course It's probably due to the fact that I have been staying there once a month for the last two years and just completed a 24 night stay this morning.
Old May 30, 2008, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seob
I prefer the location of the Eaton Centre. I have not stayed at the Ren, but I have stayed at the Royal York, which is near.
Oh geez, I prefer the Marriott in Prague for a business trip to Toronto before staying at the Royal York again.
Old May 30, 2008, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seob
My experience has been exactly the opposite. Of course It's probably due to the fact that I have been staying there once a month for the last two years and just completed a 24 night stay this morning.
Yeah, judging by the comments here, I'm thinking my experience was an aberration.

I've got a stay booked there next month already.
Old May 31, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
One more vote for Eaton Centre

It's just around the corner from Toronto's subway system--easy to get anywhere up- (Bloor St) or down- (central business district) town. Obviously easy access to the Eaton Centre shopping mall too.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Sounds like the Eaton Centre was a good choice for my stay in October, especially since I will only pay 125 CAD
Does anyone know how they treat golds? I have two rooms reserved for my family; how will they handle breakfast? Thanks all for the insight.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:02 am

Programs: marriott platinum
My experience at the Eaton Center this past August(weekend, Marriott Visa reward stay) was a little different from the recent posts. I have stayed here many times, but this was first in 2 years and things are not moving in the best direction. As plat, I was given a nice corner room but was refused bfast coupons and I pushed pretty hard. I was told that they stopped giving them about 2 years ago!! If people report that they have gotten bfast coupons this summer, I will have to make a call. We had a nice bfast off property at Eggspectation(?), an easy walk from hotel.
This is very interesting...I was told that this hotel is actually OWNED by Marriott and the order came down to stop coupons directly from "Mr Marriott." When I mentioned that I thought the whole brand was going to start wkend bfast for plat, they were aware of the plan but said it had been "delayed indefinitely."
Plat gift...this is really funny..they present you a laminated sheet with the usual choices and ask you to make your choice then..ok..when I said to give me the sheet and I will call down at the time I want the gift delivered with my choices(I frequently select ice cream), they said that to "go green" they do not give the sheets anymore "to save PAPER"!!!! After no bfast coupons this was an annoyance...I asked what to do if I do not want to make selection now since I do not know what I want or when I want it delivered, she said they usually "xerox" the laminated sheet, which she did, giving me a FULL sheet of paper.
Here is another "change" that I have never encountered before..the "room" with the ice and coke machine is LOCKED...First time I did not bring my key, long walk back to get the key and it doesn't work!!! Ah... someone behind me is coming down, money in hand to buy a coke, her key doesn't work...A maintenance person comes by and his key opens the door..we say that this needs to be fixed and he says that I have to call the front desk!!??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.