Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Please help, I am new to all this!

Old May 10, 2008, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.

Hi, I have recently been given a Marriot gold card through BA. Nice, so I think it is fare to stay at a few marriott hotels.

I have not received a card, I joined about a month ago. As I am a new member will they send me one or will I only recive it after my first stay? If this is the case how does this affect access to the various perks of a gold card such as lounges and upgrades.

I see from the list on FT that the hotel I would like to stay at next week, the Renaissance LHR, has a lounge but it is closed over the weekend. I want to stay next Sunday so will it be open for breakfast on Monday?

Finally I have messed around with the codes on the public list and found a great rate using the PKG code. However, under the rate it says: "SPECIAL CORPORATE WEEKEND * DELUXE ROOM (1 QUEEN OR 2 SNGL BEDS)INCLUDES BREAKFAST * MAX 2 PEOPLE IN ROOM * MUST SHOW CORP ID!!!".

How likely are they to ask for ID, how do i find out if my company is one of the ones allowed to use this rate?

Thanks for any help you can give a newbie to the world of Hotel points,
Old May 10, 2008, 10:40 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
As to gold benefits, if you are gold you should receive them whether or not you have a card with you. If you're not sure of your gold status, why not call Marriott and ask? If you are gold, and make a reservation using your Marriott Rewards number, your status should appear on your reservation and the hotel will be aware of it.

If the lounge is closed on weekends, it may or may not be open for Monday morning breakfast. You may want to inquire when checking in. If you're told it's closed, you may or may not be comped to breakfast at the hotel, depending on the property's policy and, sometimes, depending on the clerk who checks you in. Nevertheless, you should politely ask for breakfast coupons. But don't be disappointed if you're denied.

Generally a "pkg" rate does not require a corporate ID, and generally includes something other than just the room (like parking, or a meal, or tickets to an event). Because of the notation on you pkg rate as to ID required, I'd call the hotel to inquire. It may just be an error.
Old May 11, 2008, 5:30 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
In general, even if the CL is closed on the Weekends, it will be open for breakfast on Monday as that is not a weekend day. Ohmark's suggest of calling the hotel to ask is a good one. If you do so, you might want to write down the name of the person you talked with. That way if there are any issues, you can always tell the hotel who told you something.

Oh, and in 13+ years of traveling and staying at Marriotts, I don't remember ever having to actually show my Marriott elite card (at least for checking-in/out.)
Old May 11, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Have you received anything notifying you of you Marriott Rewards number? For example were you assigned a number when registering for the BA offer?

As long as you have your MR number, and it is in your reservation, then you are good to go. If not, then you need to find out what your number is. It is also good to set up an online account at Marriott.com and make bookings when signed into your account. In additon to insuring your MR number is attached to your reservation, it also cuts down on how much you have to type when making reservations.
Old May 11, 2008, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
Thanks you for the quick response. Yes I have a number and when I log into the website it says I have gold status. I just tried to call the hotel but the person who answered did not really understand what I was asking about, i think I will try again later.
Old May 11, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Vince....

I stayed at the LHR Ren on a Sunday a few months back. Big sprawling hotel, with comfortable rooms and an a competent staff. (Rooms, btw, are smallish by North American standards, but pretty much average size for Europe).

I didn't visit the CL, but I believe it was open Sunday evening.
It should have definitely been open for breakfast Monday. I didn't go because I had to leave early a 7am flight. The CL in the morning would be a moot point, however, if your PKG rate includes breakfast.

As Ohmark says, if you purchase a "package", you shouldn't need to show an ID in order to get all the benefits. It would be a good idea, however, to bring along a printout of what your package is supposed to include.

I wound up having dinner Sunday night at The Pheasant...a pub "behind" the FS Marriott and the Sheraton. About a ten minute walk. Good food and lively, friendly atmosphere, with locals mingling with travellers from all over.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I also received the Gold upgrade through BA last month. I recently received my new Gold card in the mail with an expiration date of 2010. I never carry my card but make sure I have the MR # in my reservation or available when I check in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.