Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Various questions about points/nights for multiple rooms [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Various questions about points/nights for multiple rooms [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by seks
I will has to ask the members but I somehow doubt it Nope...didn't know I only get credit for max 3 rooms.
If not, maybe sign someone up. There won't be any checks on who's in what room, so even if you split with your spouse at least that keeps the points in the same house.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by seks
Perhaps there were no availability during your stay?
Stays. Like maybe four in the last couple of years. During which time I have always gotten UGed at the Soi 57, Marquis, Ren and LM. I know UGs are subject to availability, but given this is an Asian property, my stays at that hotel are short and I'm not staying during popular times, I will ask the next time I'm there.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: marriott
Marriott is the only chain that will not award points if you dont stay.

Read this its a shame

After spending several thousand dollars with Marriott I was shocked to get audited and shunned for my patronage to Marriott. In todays day and age how does one get burnt for spending hard earned with a corporation? I received no points and for over $20,000 in spend because I was not onsite. Incredible stupid policy. I will never spend another dollar with Marriott. Holiday Inn and Hilton is where I will spend my money, they appreciate my business.

Must Read!

Dear MICHAEL : Thank you for choosing Marriott for your travel needs.

We know that protecting your personal information is important to you and wanted to bring the following information to your attention. It appears that stays made by individuals, other than yourself, have been added to your Marriott Rewards account.

In order for your stays to qualify for credit in the Marriott Rewards program, all reservations and payments must be made in your name and you must be in residence at the property during the time of the reservation.
Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions State:

A member is eligible to receive points for staying at participating Marriott Rewards hotels for his/her guestroom and up to two additional rooms. All rooms must be reserved and registered in the member's name and the member must make arrangements for payment of all rooms on a consolidated bill, which should be requested at time of hotel check-in. To ensure points are automatically posted to member's account, the member should present his/her Marriott Rewards membership card at check-in.

We would like to discuss this issue with you. Your account has been placed into review status and will remain in review status until you contact the Account Auditors at the following telephone number: (801) 832-4500. Please respond within fifteen (15) business days. We reserve the right to adjust your account after the fifteen (15) business days have elapsed.

Sincerely,

Marriott Rewards Program Risk Department
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by myzippybiz

Read this its a shame

After spending several thousand dollars with Marriott I was shocked to get audited and shunned for my patronage to Marriott. In todays day and age how does one get burnt for spending hard earned with a corporation? I received no points and for over $20,000 in spend because I was not onsite. Incredible stupid policy. I will never spend another dollar with Marriott. Holiday Inn and Hilton is where I will spend my money, they appreciate my business.

Must Read!
The T&C for Marriott Rewards are pretty clear. The rep made a lot of statements that may or may not apply to you. If they do, you got caught. Accept the punishment and move on. If they don't, call the number provided and see what's going on.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:24 am

Not true. Other programs like SPG, Hilton, IHG all require member to stay to be eligible for credits. Does mistakes happen and members not staying gets credit? Yes. Does accounts gets audited in other programs? Yes. Most also have programs for corporate event organisers to book Events and or Rooms for others and get some form of points/awards, usually at a reduced rate.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist

If you pay for someone else's stay, then you don't get the credit. Only the person staying and paying get the credit.

With SPG, you can earn credit for up to 3 rooms which you pay for, but only if you stay in one of the rooms.

These T&Care clear, if your circumstances do not conform to these T&C, then good luck finding another chain that will let you play.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by PayItForward
Not true. Other programs like SPG, Hilton, IHG all require member to stay to be eligible for credits. Does mistakes happen and members not staying gets credit? Yes. Does accounts gets audited in other programs? Yes. Most also have programs for corporate event organisers to book Events and or Rooms for others and get some form of points/awards, usually at a reduced rate.
I'm not able to find a single loyalty program that allows credit when the member is not a guest, although Le Club Accor's site is down, so maybe they do.

From the Hilton T&Cs:
To earn Hilton Honors Points for hotel stays, a Member must be a registered, paying and staying guest at a participating hotel...
From SPG's T&Cs:
...provided that the SPG Member provides his/her SPG Member number at the time of reservation or at check-in and stays in one of the reserved guest rooms...

A "Stay" is a stay of one or more consecutive nights at the same SPG Participating Hotel by an SPG Member who: ...(C) stays in one of the reserved guest rooms.
From IHG T&Cs:
You must have stayed in the room and paid for it in full to receive IHG®Rewards Club points.
From Carlson Club T&Cs:
Gold Points may be earned by only one Club Carlson member per Eligible Stay, and that member must appear on the reservation and be the registered guest.
From Hyatt T&Cs:
To earn points in connection with a hotel or resort stay, Member must be a registered guest staying at a participating (hotel)...
Marriott allows credit for up to three rooms, so long as the MR member is staying in one of the rooms, which is consistent with most of the programs above.
A Member is eligible to receive Points/Miles for a qualifying stay at participating Marriott brand hotels or Ritz-Carlton hotels for his/her room and up to two additional rooms
I would often travel with salespeople who collected points at different chains. We would often trade off, staying at a Marriott on night one, with me getting credit for both rooms, and staying at the other chain the next night with the other person getting credit for both rooms.

Two different hotels have always given me credit for two nights under the following scenario: The room in City A is needed past four and the hotel charges for the night. After five, I leave, paying for the night, but arrive in City B and check in after eleven. Both hotels give me credit. Note that some hotels let me keep the room for free, in which case there was no credit. Other hotels charged a half day rate, in which case there was no credit. Other hotels like the Chatham Center FS in PGH insisted on charging the full rate, triggering the credit at two different hotels. This might happen twice a year.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I'm not able to find a single loyalty program that allows credit when the member is not a guest, although Le Club Accor's site is down, so maybe they do.
I agree and that's what I said when replying to myzippybiz.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Read this its a shame

Must Read!
As mentioned, this is in the T&Cs of the MR (and most other) programs. You failed to read or consider these terms when you signed up and now shocked that they are enforcing them? I doubt MR will miss your business. The same here is the properties not following the rules in the first place and I hope they bear some cost here too. I do say "It's only illegal if you get caught", and you got caught. Knowing the rules can go a long ways in playing the game to your advantage, expecting them to look the other way when caught is not likely.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CJKatl

From the Hilton T&Cs:

From SPG's T&Cs:

From IHG T&Cs:

From Carlson Club T&Cs:

From Hyatt T&Cs:

Marriott allows credit for up to three rooms, so long as the MR member is staying in one of the rooms, which is consistent with most of the programs above.

I would often travel with salespeople who collected points at different chains. We would often trade off, staying at a Marriott on night one, with me getting credit for both rooms, and staying at the other chain the next night with the other person getting credit for both rooms.

Two different hotels have always given me credit for two nights under the following scenario: The room in City A is needed past four and the hotel charges for the night. After five, I leave, paying for the night, but arrive in City B and check in after eleven. Both hotels give me credit. Note that some hotels let me keep the room for free, in which case there was no credit. Other hotels charged a half day rate, in which case there was no credit. Other hotels like the Chatham Center FS in PGH insisted on charging the full rate, triggering the credit at two different hotels. This might happen twice a year.
There tends to also be an exception if you're staying for a while at an extended stay property but must briefly go elsewhere while keeping your room at the extended stay place.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There tends to also be an exception if you're staying for a while at an extended stay property but must briefly go elsewhere while keeping your room at the extended stay place.
The only time I did that the hotel was pretty empty for the weekend I was leaving so they let me keep my stuff in the room at no charge.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:44 am

I just did this for 6 days in Europe.

I booked a suite at a FS Marriott for me to use during the day while my conference was going on near the airport and then booked another Marriott hotel (junior suite) for the evening where I spent the night after going out for dinner and cocktailing downtown. I literally checked into both hotels and made it known I was using one room during the day and at night was staying at another Marriott property to sleep. I commuted between both.

Received points and nights for both.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
how about if you checked in at an SPG and Marriott property at the same time? Will they even have a way to tell that you're at 2 different hotel but only sleep at one ?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by sandyph
how about if you checked in at an SPG and Marriott property at the same time? Will they even have a way to tell that you're at 2 different hotel but only sleep at one ?
Marriott and SPG are not yet linked in that sense. You can do that with no issues.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by sandyph
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Marriott and SPG are not yet linked in that sense. You can do that with no issues.
Slow your roll. Unless you are willing to guaranty there will be no issues by giving the poster points or cash should something happen, you cannot make that statement.

You will likely be okay, but keep in mind if someone else is really checking in and staying at a different property, you are breaking the rules. As the OP points out, if you are audited, which suspicious activity will trigger, and the audit turns up questions, your account will be closed and you will forfeit all points, like the OP, and have no defense. If lying and cheating are worth that risk, then you will be okay. If you enjoy being honest and ethical and not having to worry, don't look for ways to skirt the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.