FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Bumped from Renaissance Waverly Atlanta (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/802636-bumped-renaissance-waverly-atlanta.html)

gungadin Mar 18, 2008 3:43 am

Bumped from Renaissance Waverly Atlanta

First time it ever happened to me! We were staying one night and the manager left a message on my home phone--my son picked it up and called me. We were coming in about 7:30 and the manager told us they had overbooked.
The good part--they made arrangements for us at the Shereton Suites , a not-quite-as- nice but OK place in the same area and paid for it. . Also, the manager gave me 20,000 points .
Altogether, good service and compensation.

keeton Mar 18, 2008 4:29 am

Are you an elite in MR? If so, that property shortchanged you considerably from the published Ultimate Reservations Guarantee.

gungadin Mar 18, 2008 4:41 am

Nope--just a base level Marriott. Should I have gotten more? I thought the compensation was pretty fair.

bitburgr Mar 18, 2008 4:43 am

20,000 points? I'd have taken it (along with 1 night toward status).

mapu Mar 18, 2008 6:42 am

Originally Posted by keeton (Post 9426509)
Are you an elite in MR? If so, that property shortchanged you considerably from the published Ultimate Reservations Guarantee.

Can you provide me with a link to this guarantee?

pitflyer Mar 18, 2008 10:41 am

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/term...eliteguarantee

As a base member I believe he got fair compensation (and more than they have to do).

crazygrow Mar 18, 2008 11:28 am

Customer service at this hotel is typically top notch, but the hotel itself is showing wear and tear. I will never stay there again after a recent stay that apparently was the drunk football players convention. The staff lost complete control of the hotel (grown drunk men running around the lobby, the hallways, etc. chanting songs about beer, sexual exploits, etc.). For those that haven't stayed there, the inside of the hotel is an open atrium that ECHOES very loudly. :td:

SanDiego1K Mar 18, 2008 2:38 pm

I'm impressed by the proactive GM. How much nicer than arriving at the front desk to the same offer.

Marriott Concierge Mar 18, 2008 3:01 pm

I'm sorry that you were bumped, gungadin, but I'm glad that it worked out for you in the end. :)

Kind regards,

Drew

cyberdad Mar 18, 2008 7:03 pm

I agree that this was Marriott customer service at its finest. I also agree that the compensation was fair and deserved. What I'm sorry to hear is the report that the hotel is now showing signs of wear and tear. I stayed there in '93 (as the Stouffer Waverly) when it was fairly new, and thought it was a great place.

SCEflyer Mar 19, 2008 4:28 am

This happened to me at the Portland, ME, FS property at a time when I too was a base member.

Frankly, I complained vehemently about being singled out. The end result was that we were comped at a nearby Sheraton, I received the points that would have accrued if we had stayed at the Marriott and we also received a $100.00 Marriott gift certificate.

My advice is that anytime you have a confirmed reservation but are "walked", you should push matters to the limit. My position is that the chains don't hesitate to charge us for being "no shows", so the reverse should hold as well.

gungadin Mar 22, 2008 7:55 am

I wish I had thought to ask for the credit for the stay too--in addition to the 20,000 points--but I was so surprised--and frankly exhausted after a really long day. I was irritated and showed it when the manager told me --before he offered the points--to call him the next time we were in Atlanta and he would make our stay special.. Since I did not have any Atlanta plans in the near future , I was pretty sure by the time I got there, he would have forgotten all about me:) I did not say that, but sort of let him know that I did not find that statement reassuring . That was when he offered the points. Perhaps he would not have done that , had I not been annoyed. I guess you do have to be really honest about how annoyed you are:)