Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Concierge: Is it policy to "double sell" rooms

Marriott Concierge: Is it policy to "double sell" rooms

Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

Every one of my Starwood reservations has this in the Ts and Cs:

Guarantee Rules
For reservations guaranteed with a form of payment at time of booking,
rooms are held until hotel check-out time the day following arrival.

That seems like a reasonable policy to me. If I am paying for the room, it should sit empty unless I arrive to claim it.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:22 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Welcome to the Marriott boards.

I agree, unfortunately Marriott makes no guarantee like such, and if they had it would make the gray area situations like this a lot easier to handle on both the hotel and guest side of the fence (although they wouldn't really be grey area if such a statement existed). In fact, with Marriott, the general rule of thumb is that a late arrival is anything after 6PM on the day of arrival.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Plat 1MM, Denny's mmmm
It resonates

I have to believe Marriott has made a lot of money booking hotels at 102% of capacity or whatever. But it's morally wrong.

Back in the '80s when I worked for one of the famous consulting firms, Marriott became a running joke for not holding enough rooms for confirmed late arrivals. Turned me into an SPG guy. How can this still be the case? I don't like hunting for rooms in the middle of the night when I already paid for one, and who should.

Commercial decision for them, commercial decision for me. I hope they do OK; I'll be fine.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:26 pm

Welcome to the Marriott board?? I'm a Marriott lifetime platinum who has hung out here a fair bit.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:32 pm

Sorry, it was said in joking in reference to you being a Starwood Moderator hence the goofy smiley instead of a regular smile...

Last edited by NDDomer86; Mar 19, 2008 at 2:26 am
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Sorry, it was said in jest in reference to you being a Starwood Moderator hence the goofy smiley instead of a regular smile...

you might also notice that the people you seem to be disagreeing with are

1. Long long time members of FT
2. NOT students
3. Have status at these hotels.

In other words, if you are going to get into a flame war - watch where you are throwing the fire.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:48 pm

In case YOU missed it, I spent over 200 nights last year in Marriott properties alone (in 42 different states and 8 different countries), so while I may not have 15 years of experience with Marriott, I'm not unqualified to speak on experiences with them by any means

Additionally, what does my being a student have to do with anything? Only by either a) your assumption that students can only be young people [ever heard of continuing education? Or is that only for people below you] or b) by looking at my profile which I believe indicates my age range would this indicate any reasonable since of merit.

In excess, I AM a MR platinum member.

And lastly, if your post is a hint at because I'm a college student I don't know what I'm talking about, mind you I clear over 180k/year of which approx. 50k of that went to hotel stays in FS properties last year so I'm not the occasional college student that stays in some rat motel for $29/night.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
In case YOU missed it, I spent over 200 nights last year in Marriott properties alone (in 42 different states and 8 different countries), so while I may not have 15 years of experience with Marriott, I'm not unqualified to speak on experiences with them by any means

Additionally, what does my being a student have to do with anything? Only by either a) your assumption that students can only be young people [ever heard of continuing education? Or is that only for people below you] or b) by looking at my profile which I believe indicates my age range would you have any indication of how old I am, and with age does not necessarily come experience with hotels.

In excess, I AM a MR platinum member.

And lastly, if your post is a hint at because I'm a college student I don't know what I'm talking about, mind you I clear over 180k/year of which approx. 50k of that went to hotel stays in FS properties last year so I'm not the occasional college student that stays in some rat motel for $29/night.

No silly - it means you totally missed the law school joke
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:54 pm

Well in that case I'm sorry. Maybe I just don't understand the law school joke?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:06 pm

The great thing about FlyerTalk is gaining different perspectives, and learning from each other. I just wanted to recap some things:

Most important:
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Hi ediemac1

We're looking into this. Please stand by.

Kind regards,

Drew
Sometimes it's useful to see what a competitor offers:

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Every one of my Starwood reservations has this in the Ts and Cs:

Guarantee Rules
For reservations guaranteed with a form of payment at time of booking,
rooms are held until hotel check-out time the day following arrival.
And here is real life experience from someone who has worked with the Marriott system:

In my experience as a night audit clerk, guests are charged as a no-show just before the night auditors roll the date over in the PMS system. If the guests shows up after this time, then they can still be checked in, but it screws up the Marriott Rewards credit as the "no-showed" night goes into the system as a zero night stay.
The hotel has no obligation to keep a reservation after they roll the date in the system (which DOES NOT coincide with the actual date change at midnight and often does not occur until 3 or 4 AM). While checkout/checkin times vary, it's solely up to the goodwill of the front desk to have rooms available to guests at 8AM, and not under any terms, conditions, or rules governing hotels.
Hopefully, the Marriott concierge will be able to come back and clarify the Marriott policy - and at a minimum, help the member who began this thread.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
The hotel has no obligation to keep a reservation after they roll the date in the system (which DOES NOT coincide with the actual date change at midnight and often does not occur until 3 or 4 AM). While checkout/checkin times vary, it's solely up to the goodwill of the front desk to have rooms available to guests at 8AM, and not under any terms, conditions, or rules governing hotels. For the record, I realize I'm playing the devils' advocate here (comes from being a Lodging and Resort Management Degree student), but I'm actually probably a hotel's worst nightmare.
Actually not correct - SOP is to hold the rooms even after the "date roll" until the next morning but I do understand PMS does cxl the reservation as part of the night audit process
Old Mar 19, 2008, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
On to your question, by any legal rights, no, the hotel would not be under obligation to hold your reservation after they rolled the date, as in no way are you actually checking in on the day of your reservation (in your example, the day of Friday would physically end at midnight, and end in terms of the hotel at whatever time the night auditors roll the date over). HOWEVER, on the customer service end, the hotel SHOULD hold your reservation if you call and notify them of an early morning arrival and if a greedy night auditor gives your room away in search of that elusive perfect sell (you would be surprised, even on nights when hotels are fully booked, it's often not a perfect sell as rooms may be on maintenance or blocked out for other reasons) then proper compensation should be given upon arrival.

Again, I know I'm playing the devils advocate here, but trust me, as a guest in no way do I advocate the hotel.
Wow - first your legal opinions are not valid, second your use of the word greedy seems inappropriate.....
Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:23 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by socrates
Wow - first your legal opinions are not valid, second your use of the word greedy seems inappropriate.....
The word greedy doesn't seem inappropriate. Blaming it on the night auditor may be, however.

I seriously doubt that all of those rooms were double sold to walk-ins at 3-4 AM when the day rolls.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:47 am

That statement makes no sense at all. You cannot legally act as an attorney until you have attended law school, passed the Bar Exam, and been licensed to practice law. On the other hand, I HAVE worked in the hospitality industry, at multiple properties, in multiple countries.

On to your question, by any legal rights, no, the hotel would not be under obligation to hold your reservation after they rolled the date, as in no way are you actually checking in on the day of your reservation (in your example, the day of Friday would physically end at midnight, and end in terms of the hotel at whatever time the night auditors roll the date over). HOWEVER, on the customer service end, the hotel SHOULD hold your reservation if you call and notify them of an early morning arrival and if a greedy night auditor gives your room away in search of that elusive perfect sell (you would be surprised, even on nights when hotels are fully booked, it's often not a perfect sell as rooms may be on maintenance or blocked out for other reasons) then proper compensation should be given upon arrival.

Again, I know I'm playing the devils advocate here, but trust me, as a guest in no way do I advocate the hotel.
I must be missing something here.

Suppose I book (and guarantee via credit card) a room at a property whose check in time is 3 PM (with an official check out time of 12 noon the next day).

If I counted my fingers correctly that translates into my being obligated to pay for that room (and having access to it) for 21 consecutive hours.

But even though I am paying/guaranteeing payment for whatever the tariff may be (and agreeing, in effect to all the terms and conditions that go along with making a reservation when I press that final 'enter' ),

Does that mean that I'm NOT entitled to that room for that full 21-hour period? If that's the case, shouldn't hotels be obligated to disclose to customers exactly how long the room will be held for them if it's their practice to rescind that hold sometime before the 21 hours expire???

I'm not an attorney but it seems to me that when booking a reservation that includes a monetary exchange between parties (in this case either for the room (or as a forfiture for not complying with a Term and Condition) an implied contract between two parties (guest/purchaser and hotel/seller) has been initiated.

And wouldn't that mean that all Ts and Cs have to be disclosed so that the party who's incurring the obligation knows exactly the conditions that can cause him to be obligated (even when goods/services are being witheld) are?

To sum up - if you're paying for 21 hours of access to a room shouldn't you receive sameif not invormed of terms and conditions that will be involked that can cause all or part of that period to be taken away from you?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
As someone who stays in the hotel a lot - I know it is a very busy hotel. I would imagine that they had overbooked for the night (they always get late cancellations) and planned on some of the people who check out early to be out early enough for you to get in there.

If it happens again there, ask to speak to the GM - he knows who his top customers are and will sort you out.

Paul

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.