FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Oatmeal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/789173-marriott-oatmeal.html)

the_bob123 Feb 10, 2008 7:07 pm

Marriott Oatmeal

I know this has nothing to do with Marriott Rewards (mods please move if this is the case), but I absolutely love the oatmeal offered at various Marriott properties and have tried to recreate it at home with the various stove-top oats and instant oatmeal but have had no luck.

Does anyone know how they do it? I know, I know... oatmeal is just as simple as combining oats and water, and then cooking it; but there's something unique about Marriott oatmeal that I really like.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance (and you can continue laughing at me long after reading this post). :D

stratofortress Feb 10, 2008 7:24 pm

I have observed the same thing. I don't know the secret, but I'm going to take a stab and say it likely has something to do with putting some cream in instead of water only...

Just a guess.

ohmark Feb 10, 2008 8:03 pm

Don't know the answer to your question, but if you like the stuff, it's the only hot dish they serve for breakfast in the lounge at the Milwaukee Marriott West on Monday, and on Tuesday, and on Wednesday, and on Thursday, and on Friday. Enjoy.

Rolling Stone Feb 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Try looking for steel cut oats. I've noticed a difference in oatmeal served at Sheraton's too and when I asked I was shown a package of Irish Steel Cut Oats.

Most oatmeal sold in north america is made from rolled oats where the grain is pressed between rollers to flatten them allowing them to cook faster. Steel cut oats cut the grain into two or three pieces. Cutting the oats makes for longer cooking times and gives the cooked cereal more flavor than rolled oats.

Also I love reheating previously cooked oatmeal - it seems to taste better to me a few ays later.

boberonicus Feb 10, 2008 10:19 pm

I love steel-cut oats, but I've never seen them in at any Marriott. I'd agree that cream is the culprit. So much for oatmeal lowering your cholesterol. At a Courtyard in Montgomery Alabama last year, I opened the oatmeal container and saw a thick yellow sheen on top of the oatmeal. "They're made with butter!" the attendant proudly announced. Great. How about the Special K. Is that swimming in butter?

BearX220 Feb 10, 2008 10:19 pm

I know exactly what the OP means. Buy yourself a tin of Hamlyn's Pinhead Oatmeal from Scotland. (You can get it at Cost Plus or online British grocery sources.) This is whole-grain, unrolled oats... the raw product looks like cat litter, nothing like Quaker Oats. Prepare it on the stovetop using half-and-half or soy milk instead of regular milk or water. It takes about 20-30 minutes to make it properly. Delicious, and very close to Marriott oatmeal.

Cargojon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am

MMMMMMM....doggone it, now you having me jonesing for some Marrriott oatmail from the CL, complete with brown sugar and raisins......:D

PTahCha Feb 14, 2008 11:49 am

The following is from the "Marriott 80 years" book:

There is one lesson in particular I will never forget. I was executive chef at the company's Dallas hotel. We had always had hot oatmeal on the menu, because Mr. Marriott insisted on it. Well, I took it off the menu. When he visited us not long afterward, he ordered oatmeal, and the waitress had to tell him that it wasn't available. He immediately came into the kitchen to ask me why. I said, “We don't sell any. We've got to watch our food costs.” He replied, “When I was a sheep herder as a boy, that's what we ate for breakfast. It lasted us all day. And it's wholesome. It has to be on the menu.” I tried to make some excuses, but he looked me straight in the eye and said slowly but firmly, “Karl, oatmeal is not negotiable.”
The entire story is available here: http://www.marriott.com/marriott.mi?page=story05

swes Feb 14, 2008 12:12 pm

The Marriott prefered oatmeal brand is Quaker Kettle Hearty Oats. Often times, some properties will try to substitute instant oatmeal and you can totally tell! Kettle Hearty Oats are specially produced for foodservice accounts and different from the tube of Quaker oats you buy in the store.

Italy98 Feb 15, 2008 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 9229073)
I know exactly what the OP means. Buy yourself a tin of Hamlyn's Pinhead Oatmeal from Scotland. (You can get it at Cost Plus or online British grocery sources.) This is whole-grain, unrolled oats... the raw product looks like cat litter, nothing like Quaker Oats. Prepare it on the stovetop using half-and-half or soy milk instead of regular milk or water. It takes about 20-30 minutes to make it properly. Delicious, and very close to Marriott oatmeal.

Another way to cook the Irish steel cut oatmeal is to either place it is a slow cooker overnight or let it soak in hot water overnight then reheat. I've used a timer with the slow cooker to adjust the consistency. We have found the Irish steel cut oatmeal at our local grocery store in the health food section. The Eggery in Phoenix, AZ serves a wonderful Irish steel cut oatmeal. Enjoy!

jcthorne Feb 18, 2008 1:00 pm

1/4 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water
2 Tbs cream or H&H

Place in oversize bowl in microwave, 20 minutes at 40% power, then let stand 10 minutes.

Been cooking steel cut oats for many years and this is how I prep them in the hotel room micro. Usually put them on before the coffee. I like apples and cinnimon in mine....

rylan Feb 18, 2008 2:42 pm

I agree, it really is good and I'm glad that Marriott still has the oatmeal.

You can send a email to cust service on the marriott site... you'd be surprised with the knowledge they can retrieve. I've asked things about lotions and shampoo and they researched it and got back to me.

Cargojon Jan 27, 2011 10:31 pm

OK ladies/gents - I think wifey has nailed the Marriott Oatmeal recipe.

approx. 1.5 tsp of butter
1 cup oats - McCann's Irish Steel cut oat (we bought them on Amazon0

-melt butter in frying pan and toast oats for approx. 2 minutes (they will start to smell really good)

Then add (in a pot, not the frying pan)

3 cups water
1/2 cup of either milk, cream, or half and half (we used condensed milk and it worked well)
1/2 cup of mix of maple syrup and water....slightly more water then maple syrup.

Heat mixture of oats and liquid to boiling, then remove from heat and cover. Place in fridge overnight.

In the morning, reheat for approx. 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

enjoy!