Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
Well... I guess we have our answer...

Originally Posted by Colli
I got this now from the chat
Erin H: In order to be grandfathered into the Lifetime Platinum Premier status, you would need to achieve the Lifetime Platinum status before August.
Erin H: Otherwise
Erin H:If you did not have the Lifetime Platinum status then, you would have to complete the requirements under our current rules by December 31, 2018 to become Lifetime Platinum.Me: but you say - You can also qualify via the existing criteria through December 31, 2018 in the lifetime page?
Erin H: You would only be able to be grandfathered into the Lifetime Platinum Premier status if you achieve the Lifetime Platinum before August. I did receive clarification on this and this is how it was explained to me.
Sooo close!... I guess I'd better book a few meetings between now and August!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by danola

No one has answered this question yet, Im sure its in the mind of a lot of Plats, does anyone know the answer ?
I think the status chart makes it pretty clear - there is an asterisk next to the benefit saying "awarded with 50 / 75 qualifying nights". No, you're not going to get it automatically.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL DM & 2MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I think the status chart makes it pretty clear - there is an asterisk next to the benefit saying "awarded with 50 / 75 qualifying nights". No, you're not going to get it automatically.
While I see your point about the asterisk, that chart is specific to benefits achieved at each level during a calendar year based on nights stayed (Silver through Ambassador). If you achieve that level through lifetime status each year I think there still needs to be clarification from Marriott on this topic. If the suite nights aren't awarded to LT PP then the only real benefit difference between LT Plat and LT PP would be a 25% point bonus and 48 hour guarantee which aren't very significant for someone who has achieved that status and is no longer traveling enough to achieve the night thresholds. For someone who has effectively achieved LT Plat 3 times over based on current threshold requirements I believe rewarding LT members with ALL benefits of their associated level is appropriate. I'm sure we'll get clarity eventually but my hope is Marriott does right by their most loyal customers who have achieved these levels.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by padirescu
While I see your point about the asterisk, that chart is specific to benefits achieved at each level during a calendar year based on nights stayed (Silver through Ambassador). If you achieve that level through lifetime status each year I think there still needs to be clarification from Marriott on this topic. If the suite nights aren't awarded to LT PP then the only real benefit difference between LT Plat and LT PP would be a 25% point bonus and 48 hour guarantee which aren't very significant for someone who has achieved that status and is no longer traveling enough to achieve the night thresholds. For someone who has effectively achieved LT Plat 3 times over based on current threshold requirements I believe rewarding LT members with ALL benefits of their associated level is appropriate. I'm sure we'll get clarity eventually but my hope is Marriott does right by their most loyal customers who have achieved these levels.
It seems akin to airline lifetime status, where you get the "base" benefits of the status (in Marriott's case: potential upgrades, breakfast, lounge access, welcome gift), but any "choice" benefits must be earned on an annual basis. This makes sense to me, honestly - they want you to continue to be a loyal customer, so the choice benefits are a way to incentivize that.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by crimsona
You get zero. Similar thing as lifetime platinum on SPG currently, you must hit 50 nights to get 5, and 75 to get another 5.
Except for one thing... You can do a few cheap meetings to boost your nights to 50 or 75 if needed and get those suites. At least thats what I'm doing this year (I would otherwise end up around 45 nights this year but I want that those 10 suite nights as a LT PP so I'm spending $150 on 3 meetings).
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by mooper
Except for one thing... You can do a few cheap meetings to boost your nights to 50 or 75 if needed and get those suites. At least thats what I'm doing this year (I would otherwise end up around 45 nights this year but I want that those 10 suite nights as a LT PP so I'm spending $150 on 3 meetings).
Sure, but that's just achieving status normally. Nothing stemming from lifetime status
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I believe the concise argument why an SPG LTP with 750 combined nights by 8/1/18 (or 12/31/18 as some others have argued) should be mapped to the new LTPP, rather than the new LTP is as follows.

1. By staying 750 combined nights, the SPG LTP has achieved the same requirements as the legacy MR LTP.

2. Now, given that MR LTP also required 2MM added points over the course of the program membership (not taking into account spending), if Marriott can manage from an IT standpoint, it would also be reasonable for Marriott to take LT SPG points earned, multiply that figure by 3 (given the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), add that number to the same member's MR account points total.

As far as I'm concerned, and I sincerely hope that Marriott senior management agrees, if a SPG LTP shows both 750 combined nights, and 2MM combined earned points if this can be historically tracked across systems (when taking into account the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), it is only fair and right that they be mapped to LTPP rather than LTP.

Last edited by jrothenb; Apr 18, 2018 at 8:33 am
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Does a Marriott to Marriott transfer count toward lifetime points for the receiver?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Does a Marriott to Marriott transfer count toward lifetime points for the receiver?
It's a positive for the receiver and a negative for the giver. No double counting here.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
Unfortunately, people here get emotional attachments to status levels. As how much they would pay for PP status over P status, as defined in the documents. I would bet it's very little. But knowing a bunch of people have a title that's "higher" - huge emotional impact.

It is what it is.
Based on the way the tiers are laid out now, I would (and may actually do it) pay some amount to secure LTPP by August 1. It really doesn't have anything to do with the title.

My two reasons, both of which are just educated guesses at this point - but probably enough to me now to have tangible value:
(1) The United partnership. Since this is being re-upped in the new program and DL is being dropped, I suspect it'll be around for a while. However (this is the part where I'm taking a guess), I believe they will recast it as a benefit for Platinum Premiers. In other words, PP's get UA Silver; UA Golds get Marriott Platinum. Since I don't have an easy regular path to Star Silver, yet I like to redeem on *A, this has real value to me and would for years to come.
(2) Insulation against future devaluations in benefits. Since base Plat is the new breakfast/lounge tier, I would take peace of mind if I'm a tier above that. In this giant new program, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's an eventual Hilton-style change that relegates regular Plats to a lesser breakfast when they aren't upgraded to the lounge level.

1 probably has more hard value to me than 2 for now...but if I have to, I'll pay a couple hundred bucks for it. I just need to sort out if I'm actually close enough to make a run at the 250k points I need in that timeframe. Already-booked stays put me at 745 nights by July 1, so a couple long weekends somewhere in July and I have the nights.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jrothenb
I believe the concise argument why an SPG LTP with 750 combined nights by 8/1/18 (or 12/31/18 as some others have argued) should be mapped to the new LTPP, rather than the new LTP is as follows.

1. By staying 750 combined nights, the SPG LTP has achieved the same requirements as the legacy MR LTP.

2. Now, given that MR LTP also required 2MM added points over the course of the program membership (not taking into account spending), if Marriott can manage from an IT standpoint, it would also be reasonable for Marriott to take LT SPG points earned, multiply that figure by 3 (given the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), add that number to the same member's MR account points total.

As far as I'm concerned, and I sincere hope that Marriott senior management agrees, if a SPG LTP shows both 750 combined nights, and 2MM combined earned points if this can be historically tracked across systems (when taking into account the 1>3 SPG to MR conversion), it is only fair and right that they be mapped to LTPP rather than LTP.
I would say if you have 750 SPG nights and the equivalent (before 3:1 ratio) of 2m points then you might have an argument. But combining the two programs nights and points to get there doesn't make sense. Frankly, I don't blame Marriott for only rewarding the people who LTP with Marriott. When AA and US merged they didn't go back to my US history and add up all of the credit card and bonus points I earned and add them to my Lifetime status (even though until like 2010 they counted that for AA). I kind of got the shaft...and US was the one taking over AA. That's how the cookie crumbles. But if I was SPG LTP and my nights/points equalled the LTP Marriott #'s I would try like heck to get them to make me LTPP...
CPRich likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by RogerD408
It's a positive for the receiver and a negative for the giver. No double counting here.
Assuming one has access to it, 75 meetings and a transfer of 2M points would satisfy LTP? Clearly hypothetical but interesting all the same.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davidsc111
US was the one taking over AA.
US may have taken over AA from a flight operations perspective (I didn't even really know that), but AAdvantage took over Dividend Miles. That one feels like Marriott Rewards taking over Starwood Preferred Guest - although smartly with a lot of the key features of SPG not being dismantled. Don't know what the new program will be called, but the landing page for now is "members.marriott.com", not "members.spg.com".

So yes, the legacy Marriott Plats get tossed a little bone that Starwood Plats don't get.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by davidsc111
I would say if you have 750 SPG nights and the equivalent (before 3:1 ratio) of 2m points then you might have an argument. But combining the two programs nights and points to get there doesn't make sense. Frankly, I don't blame Marriott for only rewarding the people who LTP with Marriott. When AA and US merged they didn't go back to my US history and add up all of the credit card and bonus points I earned and add them to my Lifetime status (even though until like 2010 they counted that for AA). I kind of got the shaft...and US was the one taking over AA. That's how the cookie crumbles. But if I was SPG LTP and my nights/points equalled the LTP Marriott #'s I would try like heck to get them to make me LTPP...
Yes, but that is exactly what UA did when they combined with Continental. The combined total was then used for determining LT status.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
What if the giver's lifetime total is zero? Would that prevent the receiver from receiving positive LT points?

Example: my wife has Starpoints. She opens a new Marriott account and transfers Starpoints to it. She then transfers those Marriott points to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.