Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that rollover nights will not count towards lifetime nights this year and beyond... am I right or wrong here?
It's clear that excess 2017 nights will roll forward into 2018, but excess 2018 nights will not roll forward into 2019. I've seen nothing that suggests rollover night credit towards lifetime status has been suspended in this final year.

Edit: Although on the other hand, there's been no commitment that rollover nights from the old MR program will factor into LT status in the new, combined program. If they do, it will be interesting to see if SPG members are somehow plussed up to level the field (a la the UA one-time account adjustment to lifetime miles to compensate for CO credits that pmUA members never realized - as has been pointed out in other threads by other members). I personally would make out like a bandit if this comes to pass, with something like 125 nights in excess of SPG Plat in 2017!

Last edited by CCIE_Flyer; Jan 11, 2018 at 4:52 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by edcho
... and that page specifically exempts lifetime members.
Hmrph. I'd like to see it enforced for we LTPs, too ... if you can't be bothered to even spend one night out of 730 in one of the 42,123,781 properties under the MI/SPG umbrella, I think you should have your Emeritus status placed on hold 'till you at the very least write Bill & Co. an apologetic letter giving a good reason why you couldn't. I'm half serious!
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
It's clear that excess 2017 nights will roll forward into 2018, but excess 2018 nights will not roll forward into 2019. I've seen nothing that suggests rollover night credit towards lifetime status has been suspended in this final year.

Edit: Although on the other hand, there's been no commitment that rollover nights from the old MR program will factor into LT status in the new, combined program. If they do, it will be interesting to see if SPG members are somehow plussed up to level the field (a la the UA one-time account adjustment to lifetime miles to compensate for CO credits that pmUA members never realized - as has been pointed out in other threads by other members). I personally would make out like a bandit if this comes to pass, with something like 125 nights in excess of SPG Plat in 2017!
I would personally like to see rollover nights eliminated... retroactively. Lifetime nights is not reflective of how many nights any of us have truly stayed in MR properties. That should be the true measure of loyalty... those of us that have stayed 1000 actual nights in MR beds. Those of us that have spent the $$ at MR properties. These rollover nights make it a lot easier to meet the LTP requirements...
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Is your intent therefore to delist those that now have LT status earned with any rollover nights ?

I would personally like to see rollover nights eliminated... retroactively.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I would personally like to see rollover nights eliminated... retroactively. Lifetime nights is not reflective of how many nights any of us have truly stayed in MR properties. That should be the true measure of loyalty... those of us that have stayed 1000 actual nights in MR beds. Those of us that have spent the $$ at MR properties. These rollover nights make it a lot easier to meet the LTP requirements...
People made financial decisions to continue booking with Marriott ever after they achieved desired status. Retroactively pulling that back would create a PR nightmare and probably a class action lawsuit.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by txpenny
Retroactively pulling that back would create a PR nightmare and probably a class action lawsuit.
As to the PR aspect, agreed. As to the lawsuit angle:

Lawsuit Dismissed: Million Miler Loses to United Airlines | The Gate
Srisarin likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Is your intent therefore to delist those that now have LT status earned with any rollover nights ?

I should have been more clear.... no to that question. Those who have already made LT status won't have it reduced or taken away. Those that don't have it or have a lower tier of LT status cannot get it or get the higher level until the butt-in-bed nights are satisfied. That's what I really envisioned with my previous statement.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
By the same logic, those who have spent on the branded credit cards, held cheap meetings, earned and redeemed points cheaply, and took other steps to accumulate EQNs without paid stays should also be discounted as well. For example, my LT Plat nights were achieved largely from a flurry of $50 no-show meetings that earned a few hundred EQNs for under $1K (leveraged with rollover), and my LT Plat points were boosted through promos and CC spending.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mooper
By the same logic, those who have spent on the branded credit cards, held cheap meetings, earned and redeemed points cheaply, and took other steps to accumulate EQNs without paid stays should also be discounted as well. For example, my LT Plat nights were achieved largely from a flurry of $50 no-show meetings that earned a few hundred EQNs for under $1K (leveraged with rollover), and my LT Plat points were boosted through promos and CC spending.
Yes, there are many of us who would love to see this type of earning go away in the future, much like how AA changed their LT earning criteria a few years back
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:24 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Those who have already made LT status won't have it reduced or taken away.
What's really interesting is that with Marriott you can have your LT status "reduced". A year or 2 ago, someone posted that they had just received their LT notice from Marriott (after having finally passed the required points threshold.) After that, they transferred some points to a friend's account and they noticed they lost their LT status. The reason being that their LT point balance went below the LT threshold due to the points transfer.

So at least with Marriott it is possible (though in most cases not very likely or easy) to lose your LT status.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended

And if you try and game the system you can and should get burned

Originally Posted by hhoope01
What's really interesting is that with Marriott you can have your LT status "reduced". A year or 2 ago, someone posted that they had just received their LT notice from Marriott (after having finally passed the required points threshold.) After that, they transferred some points to a friend's account and they noticed they lost their LT status. The reason being that their LT point balance went below the LT threshold due to the points transfer.

So at least with Marriott it is possible (though in most cases not very likely or easy) to lose your LT status.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:34 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Srisarin
And if you try and game the system you can and should get burned
I've no problem with that what-so-ever. I was just commenting about LT being "permanent". Just wanted to state that there are scenarios where one could lose their LT status.

Over the years, I've transferred a million or 2 miles out of my account and into family/friends accounts. When I was heavily travelling, I had enough points to give quite a few TP awards as birthday or Christmas gifts. So it isn't always "gaming" that this can come into play. But if I were close to that points limit, transferring points for that many TP awards could have easily dropped me to below the required level for LT Plat. Note I transferred points as they would then have the airline miles to add to their own accounts for their travels and for most of that time I didn't realize Marriott was reducing LT points with those transfers.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
When I was heavily travelling, I had enough points to give quite a few TP awards as birthday or Christmas gifts.
Several newlyweds took honeymoons on mine. Now that I'm not traveling, what I give for weddings isn't as nice, costs me cash and isn't mentioned over and over again.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:02 pm
Suspended

My “burn” comments was limited to the example you had previously referred to when hubby, already LT thought he could game the system and get his wife LT by transferring points only to find out, as you have too but for other reasons that the transfer would affect hubby negatively.

I've no problem with that what-so-ever. I was just commenting about LT being "permanent". Just wanted to state that there are scenarios where one could lose their LT status.

Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yes, there are many of us who would love to see this type of earning go away in the future, much like how AA changed their LT earning criteria a few years back
Exactly. The conundrum for Marriott is that most of the rewarded behaviors, when not utilized n a loophole-seeking fashion (as I did), add directly to their bottom line with little risk. They love it when you spend on their branded credit cards, and I presume that meetings are high-margin as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.