Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
That was unnecessarily annoying. First call, Marriott's automated operator asked me if I had a reservation -- I said no, it said a reservation is required and transferred me to reservations. Hung up and called back and lied that I had a reservation. Went through on my account and then the rep told me 'You need to call from the account that the points are being transferred from'. Hung up and called back and this time the automated agent couldn't understand me at all and after some yelling it got through to a human operator, who made the transfer easily when initiated from my wife's non-elite account to mine (no ask or mention of any fee). A few minutes later 50k points were in my account, my LT balance did go up (I think -- I thought I wrote down my balance before the transfer but lost the note). I know my wife now has a -50k lifetime balance, however, since her points all came from SPG transfer which doesn't increase your lifetime status.

Will do it again in January.. at least this way don't need a reservation.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pitflyer
That was unnecessarily annoying. First call, Marriott's automated operator asked me if I had a reservation -- I said no, it said a reservation is required and transferred me to reservations. Hung up and called back and lied that I had a reservation. Went through on my account and then the rep told me 'You need to call from the account that the points are being transferred from'. Hung up and called back and this time the automated agent couldn't understand me at all and after some yelling it got through to a human operator, who made the transfer easily when initiated from my wife's non-elite account to mine (no ask or mention of any fee). A few minutes later 50k points were in my account, my LT balance did go up (I think -- I thought I wrote down my balance before the transfer but lost the note). I know my wife now has a -50k lifetime balance, however, since her points all came from SPG transfer which doesn't increase your lifetime status.

Will do it again in January.. at least this way don't need a reservation.
Hmmm, sounds like a good task for MR audit. Be wary of the points being clawed back sometime down the road as this is obviously not intended to be allowed (corner cases may be handled manually). BTW, although MR does appear to have abandoned FT, they may still lurk in the background seeing what's up here.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Hmmm, sounds like a good task for MR audit. Be wary of the points being clawed back sometime down the road as this is obviously not intended to be allowed (corner cases may be handled manually). BTW, although MR does appear to have abandoned FT, they may still lurk in the background seeing what's up here.
What's obviously not intended to be allowed? Transfers between SPG and Marriott -- allowed and advertised. In fact, both sites clearly entice you to set up an account with the other and transfer points. Transfers between Marriott and Marriott -- also allowed, either up to 50k per year, or as much as you want for an award. This is clearly listed on Marriott's website. The only odd behavior is the lifetime point balance, and before SPG this is how it always worked as shown in this thread. The only fly in the ointment is that SPG->Marriott and vice versa transfers do not affect lifetime point balance or activity, so you end up with those special situations with negative lifetime balance. But the actual points are all accounted for and done above board.

It is possible that the lifetime balance gets 'fixed' eventually, but there's nothing else to 'claw' back here, unless I'm missing something.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I transfer SPG points to my wife. She converts them to Marriott points and transfers them to me. My lifetime Marriott goes up.
I convert them to SPG points. My lifetime Marriott doesn't change.
I transfer them to my wife. She converts them to Marriott points and transfers them to me. My lifetime Marriott goes up again.
Sure, she gets a huge negative lifetime Marriott. But she was never going to get lifetime status anyway.
(Maybe I should try that instead of giving it away where Marriott can see it.)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
LTP is for life? IOW, unless I violate the MR Ts'n'Cs and get kicked out of MR, I can give as many points away as I'd like and still be LTP, right?

NVM- per the WiKi:
If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pitflyer
What's obviously not intended to be allowed? Transfers between SPG and Marriott -- allowed and advertised. In fact, both sites clearly entice you to set up an account with the other and transfer points. Transfers between Marriott and Marriott -- also allowed, either up to 50k per year, or as much as you want for an award. This is clearly listed on Marriott's website. The only odd behavior is the lifetime point balance, and before SPG this is how it always worked as shown in this thread. The only fly in the ointment is that SPG->Marriott and vice versa transfers do not affect lifetime point balance or activity, so you end up with those special situations with negative lifetime balance. But the actual points are all accounted for and done above board.

It is possible that the lifetime balance gets 'fixed' eventually, but there's nothing else to 'claw' back here, unless I'm missing something.
My point was the points transferred from SPG should not count in LT regardless of what happens to them later. The husband should expect MR to take back the LT points added to his account as those are really SPG points. This is the corner case of which I speak. I understand the wife's account is negative and everything adds up, but it's still wrong to increase the husband's account.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
LTP is for life? IOW, unless I violate the MR Ts'n'Cs and get kicked out of MR, I can give as many points away as I'd like and still be LTP, right?

NVM- per the WiKi:
Reading the WiKi, if your LT point balance drops below the required amount, you forfeit the higher status. If they didn't do that then people would repeatedly move points back and forth to build the LT point balances.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:33 am

So I have just crossed the Marriott Lifetime Platinum totals IF you combine my SPG and Marriott accounts. Combined 2.3M points (assuming the 3:1 SPG to Marriott conversion), and 754 combined linfetime nights. Of that total, 300k (SPG) points and 167 nights are from Starwood, majority is from Marriott. I just spent the last year at a Westin though.

Thoughts? Should I push to get it all in one program? Do you think I'll get screwed when they merge?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:34 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JCrew7384
Thoughts? Should I push to get it all in one program? Do you think I'll get screwed when they merge?
No one can really say what will happen or what the program will look like once the merger dust settles.

My suggestion is if you are close enough in one or the other program to achieve LT status before the merger occurs (end of 2018/beginning of 2019), then I'd push for that. Otherwise, I wouldn't change much of anything I have already been doing (as trying to hit a moving target while blindfolded isn't a high probability endeavor.)
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:38 am

My problem is I am very close with Marriott, but my current project has me in a place that only has good Starwood options...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Your choice boils down to what risk you associate with Marriott changing the LT rules once the merger is completed. If they make the requirements harder (i.e. more points/stays/nights/elite years/etc than they have today), you could end up needing even more years before you could achieve LT status. But if you also think you will keep traveling for the next 5-10 years, then maybe it won't matter. But if you are risk averse and want to "guarantee" your LT status, then you stay at the lesser Marriott properties for the next year.

So are we talking about staying 75+ nights at a nice Westin or something similar for SPG versus a run-down FFI or CY for Marriott? Or are we talking about FS Starwood compared to a FS Marriott that you just don't like as well? What is it that makes the Marriott properties not as good an option? Just how big a difference is there?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:01 am

We're talking about a 3 year old decent Westin or average FS Sheraton vs old and dated Courtyard and Fairfield Inn... Its a no brainer from a stay perspective. PLUS, we have a corporate deal at our Westin for tons of bonus points per 3 night stay...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:13 am

Sounds like you would also be giving up potentially a boat load of points by going with the Marriott options. Also, how much do you value free breakfast? Unless your rate includes it at the CY, you probably won't get it free. Also, what type of upgrades are you getting at the Westin/Sheraton? As a Plat, I'm almost 100% for the last 5 years at getting a suite upgrade at CYs (in the US) though I almost always have to ask for them. Also, how much do you charge things to the room? You only get points for the base rate at CYs and FFIs.

If this were me and I'm thinking I have a decent number of travel years ahead of me, I'd probably be going with one of the Starwood hotels and hope for the best around LT status. You'll most likely end up with not only a better stay experience for the year, but a bunch of extra points too. The only exception might be if your not charging much to the room, neither Starwood hotel offers the "Go Green" bonus points, your company pays for your breakfast, you don't get very many upgrades at the Starwood hotels, the extra points don't mean as much to you as the guaranteed LT status, etc. In that narrow situation, I might look at the CY as you have a decent chance of getting that suite upgrade most of the time (if you are willing to ask for it each week and assuming they are regularly booked during the weeks you would be there.) But that is a fairly niche situation.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Sounds like you would also be giving up potentially a boat load of points by going with the Marriott options. Also, how much do you value free breakfast? Unless your rate includes it at the CY, you probably won't get it free. Also, what type of upgrades are you getting at the Westin/Sheraton? As a Plat, I'm almost 100% for the last 5 years at getting a suite upgrade at CYs (in the US) though I almost always have to ask for them. Also, how much do you charge things to the room? You only get points for the base rate at CYs and FFIs.

If this were me and I'm thinking I have a decent number of travel years ahead of me, I'd probably be going with one of the Starwood hotels and hope for the best around LT status. You'll most likely end up with not only a better stay experience for the year, but a bunch of extra points too. The only exception might be if your not charging much to the room, neither Starwood hotel offers the "Go Green" bonus points, your company pays for your breakfast, you don't get very many upgrades at the Starwood hotels, the extra points don't mean as much to you as the guaranteed LT status, etc. In that narrow situation, I might look at the CY as you have a decent chance of getting that suite upgrade most of the time (if you are willing to ask for it each week and assuming they are regularly booked during the weeks you would be there.) But that is a fairly niche situation.
Thanks for the unbiased suggestions. You're right on almost all of the above. I will continue staying at the Westin for a much more pleasant travel experience. I choose breakfast vouchers over the 500 points. I earn close to 10,000 SPG points per 3 night stay at this property, so it is terrible difficult to pass up. I get no where near that staying at any of the marriott options...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by JCrew7384
I earn close to 10,000 SPG points per 3 night stay at this property, so it is terrible difficult to pass up. I get no where near that staying at any of the marriott options...
That's incredible!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.