Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:47 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flandery
For someone who just started with MR late this year, what's the best way to plan for lifetime status?
If you just started, then I'm going to guess that you still have quite a few nights and a lot of points to acquire. If that is the case, I wouldn't try to change any stay patterns too much given in about a year, the LT landscape could be very different. Since we just don't know exactly what the new "combined" program will look like you would be trying to hit a moving target.

The best I'd suggest is pick one of the programs, SPG or Marriott, and focus your stays as much as possible there.
CJKatl and Seabilly like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
I'll have about 60 nights by the end of the year, so plenty left to go

To me though it looks like the biggest hurdle to clear is the point requirements. I'm only getting ~1000 base points per paid night. And even with elite bonuses, the credit card bonus, and skipping housekeeping; I'm going to end up incredibly short on points. I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious or if it's more that I'm staying at lower priced properties.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I'm staying at lower priced properties.
BINGO!

The numbers are set so that if you are an average customer paying an average rate and getting average extras (bonuses, cc points, welcome amenities) you will cross both lines at about the same time. I stayed at all different brands, city and rural locations and crossed both lines within a few stays. I only had the credit card for a year or two at that point and rollover was relatively new, too, so my points were mostly stays and bonuses.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

To me though it looks like the biggest hurdle to clear is the point requirements. I'm only getting ~1000 base points per paid night. And even with elite bonuses, the credit card bonus, and skipping housekeeping; I'm going to end up incredibly short on points. I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious or if it's more that I'm staying at lower priced properties.
I would suggest you pick a chain that best fits your travel plans and attempt to maximize what you can in the remaining months. Once the new MPG program is announced you can re evaluate how your travel plans work and aim from there. Other than gaining annual status in one of the two, there's not much hope of getting any further.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

What are your typical travel patterns? If you stay 200 paid nights a year at an average cost of $150/ni, you can probably pull it off in 3 years with rollover nights and megabonus promotions included. But nodoby knows how the LT program is going to change when SPG and MR combine next year. They could go to a program where you are required to hat PT status for a certain number of years in addition to the nights and points....

I wouldn't change anything or focus on something in particular regarding your hotel preferences until the terms of the new combined program are announced next year. If the LT requirements and points program do not change, then you can do this in a matter of a few years if you are a big-time road warrior.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
I'm planning for around 150 paid nights per year, but sounds like there's not a lot to do then other than to stick with it. I'm out in the far suburbs, so there aren't really any SPG options unless I want to add another 25 minutes to my commute each way.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
II'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious or if it's more that I'm staying at lower priced properties.
Get the CC bonus for both flavors of the card. ~150K points and 30 nights there.
Buy 50K points now, and another 50K in January. That's 100K points.
Spend $1.75 million on the credit card (manufactured spending or business expenses like AdWords) as quickly as possible next year... that will get you over 600 nights including the 30 annual nights.
If rollover happens one last time 2018>2019, you'll get the rest of the nights you need and Lifetime Platinum

If you didn't need the points and just needed the nights, then 42 no-show meetings @ $50 each (a couple thousand $) would get you 750+ nights with the 2017-2018 rollover... you could do that in a few days right now if you're motivated.

Easy, right?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We don't even know if lifetime points will matter come next year. They don't currently matter at SPG (at SPG, instead, it maters how many years you spent in the corresponding annual status).

Since the current Marriott and SPG lifetime requirements are so different, it's hard to guess what the lifetime requirements of the combined program might be.

At any rate, with your current rate of stays, don't worry about it too much, since you won't be that far along by the time they should announce the new lifetime status criteria, and so you'll have plenty of time to adjust.

Btw, in case it says as points: Points from almost all sources currently count, so including points earned from stay bonuses, points earned from credit cards, etc. (The only source that currently doesn't count is transfers from SPG.)
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mooper
Easy, right?
Only "easy " if the person is under Chase 5/24 already. They can't get anything other than the business Marriott card if they're over 5/24.

And while the simplest plan to get under 5/24 is "easy" too (just don't apply for any other cards for close to 2 years), it may take up to 2 years to do it, which takes the rest of your plan seriouslty off schedule (to the point where the lifetime requirement are likely to change by that point to where the plan no longer makes sense, be it "easy " or hard).
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious or if it's more that I'm staying at lower priced properties.
If I haven't met lifetime nights by Dec 31, I will have in Jan. Nowhere near the required points, though, due to my past affinity for RI and TPS properties. Avoid those if you care to reach LTP in a hurry.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:07 am

Soliciting advice and insight

Since joining a couple months ago, I really appreciate all the advice and insight on this site.

Looking for a little assistance in my MR journey. Please bear with me as I lay out my thoughts.

Problem statement:
- Is it worth pursuing the unknown, yet-to-be published lifetime status, or should I just enjoy both SPG and Marriotts as a gold or platinum until the new guidelines are published?

Facts:
- Am about to hit my one year mark as a MR member
- I hit platinum in Sep and am enjoying the increased points, but don't see too much of a difference from gold
- I have just shy of 500K lifetime points and will have about 115 nights by the end of the year
- Half my stays are business and half are personal (I commute during the week and stay in hotels, not usually Marriott)
- I have both MR Chase cards and both SPG AMEX cards -- I'm just finishing up the SPG business sign-up bonus (25k for $6K and 10K for another $4K)
- I have only used a handful of points, but have some of them allocated for future vacation travel

Needs:
- I choose Marriott during business travel for reliable wifi, fitness centers, and breakfast, in that order
- During my non-travel day commutes, I really on require good wifi, as I have access to a gym and breakfast, so it isn't usually worth it to stay at Marriott
- The majority of my travel is within Europe, but a couple times a year it is Stateside, mainly DC
- There are a few Marriotts in the area, which I have used mainly for bonuses
- Status isn't that important to me. I have been upgraded a few times, but I view it as a nice surprise. I do enjoy complementary breakfast during business travel and vacation.

Assumptions:
- Lifetime status doesn't seem that important to me at this time, due to how we travel for leisure. I believe I would hit gold in about two years, but it is obviously unknown what will happen
- I'm quite certain I can easily continue making gold/platinum under the current system for at least three years
- I believe I will continue to use points primarily for vacation, but also during commute days when rates spike

Appreciate you indulging me. Would appreciate any suggestions, insight or even criticisms.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Lifetime is usually a marathon, not a sprint. So even if it's not important to you now, it may become important later. Put another way, when you are shooting a gun, you shoot where your target will be, not where it is now.

As to WiFi, a reliable connection is important to me as well. I carry a portable access point, so if the property is lacking then I have a backup.
LF72 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should assume that the rules for lifetime status will change several times before you qualify, but you should also assume that at some later point, you will want that lifetime status.
jjmoore and LF72 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by JackE
I carry a portable access point, so if the property is lacking then I have a backup.
I do as well - it's an iPad w/ cellular. I carry my own Wi-Fi everywhere I go, especially now with the trend towards public Wi-Fi requiring a login using a social media account (which I don't have) or an e-mail address that will from hence forth be hammered hard with spam. And it just often seems to work out that some of the otherwise best hotel rooms have the worst signal. I like being free from worry about that sort of thing.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:46 am

With the new announcements, this certainly changes things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.