Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:09 pm

If you combine my Marriott and SPG nights (at 1:1) and points at (3:1), then I am currently over the threshold for Lifetime Marriott Platinum. Hoping they do a nice easy combination...
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kcaluwae
I wonder if all lifetime elites experienced the same discrepancies between the points/nights requirement that I do. Maybe having the Marriott rewards CC helps?

My situation:
I just achieved the number of nights needed for lifetime silver (250) but I'm surprised by the number of points I'm short to reach the same level.
Number of points required is 1.2 million. I only have 300K points....

I usually stay in properties that cost about 100-150$/night so this point balance is normal. To reach the 1.2 million points you would need to spend 480$ a night.

I read some post about somebody having 500K lifetime points after 100 nights. I just don't see how you manage to do that....
Marriott Rewards has no credit cards in Europe, I know that is a great way to earn points but not an option.
No, all someone needs to do to earn a lot more points per night is to "follow the promos". Ie, only stay at Marriott when there's a promo going on, and do whatever it takes to maximize that promo (ie, if it's for 20 nights, stay only 20 nights and no more, if it's for 7 stays, do 7 one-night stays, no longer stays, and no more stays, etc.

I'm not saying that would work for you, but I'm saying that can explain how people can get much higher points totals for the same number of nights. "Following the bonus" can easily double your points earnings or more.

Oh, and then there's the Chase Marriott credit card. While you don't have it in Europe, a lot of people you're comparing to do. That's a 50% bonus on all stays (100% bonus on stays at brands like Residence Inn, which earn half of what you earn at many other brands). And did you get at least one signup bonus for singing up for the credit card?

And, did you stay significant amounts at brands where you only earn half, but forgot that you only earned half there?

So perhaps you might have needed to stay at $400/night properties to get 3x the points, but not everyone did. Just "following the promos" and using the credit card would get someone at least 2.5x the points.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 11, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I did those same maths, and as a non-American I hope that a future merged program won't require a foreigner to stay 2.5x as much as an American to get lifetime status!

I checked my progress towards lifetime status on Marriott.com and I've barely ever stayed at Marriott hotels, but I see that I've had 11% of the required nights for Lifetime silver, but have only earned 3% of the amount of points. If this were to continue I'd need nearly 2,500 nights before I get to Platinum.

With Starwood I do average something approaching $400-500 a night, but I would hope that would give me an advantage rather than just bring me even with people who live in Marriott Courtyards.
friedberger likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I did those same maths, and as a non-American I hope that a future merged program won't require a foreigner to stay 2.5x as much as an American to get lifetime status!
Are you saying that there are no promotions (MegaBonus or otherwise) for Europeans?

See, the 2.5x was a combination of promotions and the credit card. Only .5 was from the credit card, which I understand is not available to Europeans. But 2x is from "maxing out" promotions (and staying in other chains when there's no promotional earning to made from a Marriott stay at that point). I thought those Marriott promotions were worldwide?

But: It's a change of behavior, not (AFAIK) a change of geography, that's needed to get 2x (or more) from promotions. If you use Marriott for all your stays, not just the ones where you earn from promotions, you're not going to get 2x. You have to have the flexibility to "follow the promos" (from one program to the next) when you've used up the promo at one program, to earn the maximum points in each program. You can't earn the maximum points in each program (relative to nights in that program) if you always use that program, promotion or not.

For example, in the current MegaBonus, I only earned a free night cert for 2 stays, and then I earn 10000 points for 5 more stays. (After that I get a feedle 1000 bonus points per stay.) So I'm staying 7 one-night stays during this period, and unless I happen to get a great rate at Marriott.com for another 1 or 2 or 3 one-night stays, that's all the stays I'm going to do with Marriott this MegaBonus cycle. So while I won't earn many nights this quarter, I'll earn 2000 bonus points per night this quarter (not counting the first two nights where I earned a free night cert instead). On cheap stays (not much more than $100/night, sometimes even a bit less), 2000 bonus points per night is very signifcant on a relative basis, even though it's much on a totality basis if it's limited (as it is) to 5 nights this quarter.

There are many people who'll get this same promo, and yet do 5 3-night stays, and they'll earn only the same 10000 bonus points for their 3-night stays as I do for my 1-night stays. So they'll only earn about 670 bonus points per night, while I earn 2000 bonus points per night, simply because I chose to do one-night stays at Marriott and go to other chains (where there are other promos) for the rest of the nights I need. And anyone who does 5 10-night stays will only earn 200 bonus points per night .

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 12, 2017 at 11:54 am Reason: fix formatting
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by txpenny
I'm exactly the opposite. Next week I'll cross the 2MM point threshold, while my LT night count will be around 540.

Unless MR changes the rules before 1.1.18, or there is a limit to the number of rollover nights one can earn, I will cross the 750 night marker on January 1.
This may not apply to you, but I forgot to mention this. It's a lot easier to get points if you're able to use a Marriott Visa. But large corporations rarely allow this, because they get kickbacks on corporate cards. When I was staying 50+ nights per year for work, I probably could have doubled my point total if I paid for those rooms on my own card for reimbursement rather than on a corporate card.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by JBord
This may not apply to you, but I forgot to mention this. It's a lot easier to get points if you're able to use a Marriott Visa. But large corporations rarely allow this, because they get kickbacks on corporate cards. When I was staying 50+ nights per year for work, I probably could have doubled my point total if I paid for those rooms on my own card for reimbursement rather than on a corporate card.
Your assumption is correct. I'm a partner in our company and we all pay our own expenses.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
... but it certainly wouldn't be good for the sporadic traveler who was looking forward to a lifetime of top-tier status after many years of Marriott loyalty in their traveling prime.
Originally Posted by danola
I would be very disappointed if they changed the rules after we have proven our loyalty for the many years it takes to achieve Platinum Lifetime status.
Yeah, seriously. I don't stay in hotels anywhere near as often as I did when traveling, but if MR compromised my existing LTP I'd really start shopping by price and not loyalty.

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
  • Lifetime Diamond Plus requires 1000 nights (historic total of MR and SPG nights) and 2.4 Million points (historic total of MR points plus SPG points at 3:1)
If they did something like that, taking into effect one's existing totals (2K/4.1M), i.e., not having to requalify again, I'd be very happy!
IndyDave likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Until Marriott keeps the points requirement for lifetime status it is not worldwide chain but solely US one. Continuing to keep the huge advantage to US residents with branded credit cards or/and big spenders in their crappy overpriced US hotels. The share of non US lifetime Gold or Platinum members is less than 5% probably.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Until Marriott keeps the points requirement for lifetime status it is not worldwide chain but solely US one. Continuing to keep the huge advantage to US residents with branded credit cards or/and big spenders in their crappy overpriced US hotels. The share of non US lifetime Gold or Platinum members is less than 5% probably.
One would think that they at least could skip the points requirement for non-US based accounts or at least accounts that never resided in the US. One way of monitoring this could be too see if your account been credited with any points originated from a co-branded CC.... Just a thought...
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by X-ON
One would think that they at least could skip the points requirement for non-US based accounts or at least accounts that never resided in the US. One way of monitoring this could be too see if your account been credited with any points originated from a co-branded CC.... Just a thought...
Marriott is at outlier among hotel programs to count all points toward any status anyway. Any other hotel program which counts points toward any status (usually annual status rather than lifetime status) count only "base" points, ie, only points earned from stays and not even bonuses on stays. So with all other hotel programs earning status through points is just a way to give status quicker to those people who have very expensive stays.

Why Marriott dreamed up a lifetime status qualification on total points from all sources, I don't know. That's almost like an airline bringing back lifetime status based on year of flying and total amount of redeemable miles earned from all sources? AA tried for year to get rid of that (until succeeding in Dec 2011), so why did Marriott add something like that after that? (Hm, probably because their star IT department was incapable of doing anything different. Coincidentally, it was AA's IT issues that kept them from changing how their lifetime status was computed until Dec 2011.)

Meanwhile, all your suggestions would also require a competent IT department. Does that sound like the one which did the Fall 2017 Megabonus "unlock"? Does that sound like the one which took two months to issue the brand bonus for Summer 2017 Megabonus only to accidentally count Marriott and JW as the same brand?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
I hope that MR LT requirements would be either return to previous 1000/800/600 nights without points requirement or combined MR and SPG 750+500 for Platinum, 500+250 for Gold without points requirement and 250 for Silver. All nights counts. Already achieved LT Platinum and Gold will be matched.The benefit for US credit card holders and/or big spenders would be faster redemption points achievement of Travel Packages or hotel nights. Win-win to everybody.

Last edited by Jaenks; Oct 14, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I hope that MR LT requirements would be either return to previous 1000/800/600 nights without points requirement or combined MR and SPG 750+500 for Platinum, 500+250 for Gold without points requirement and 250 for Silver. All nights counts. Already achieved LT Platinum and Gold will be matched.The benefit for US credit card holders and/or big spenders would be faster redemption points achievement of Travel Packages or hotel nights. Win-win to everybody.
Additionally, I would like to see MR subtract rollover nights from lifetime nights to give all members an accurate readout of how many nights they have stayed, and then base lifetime status on this real number. I will have 115 rollover nights next year, and these nights will double count on my lifetime nights, which should not happen IMHO. This has happened the last several years that I have stayed more than 75 nights per year.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:32 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Additionally, I would like to see MR subtract rollover nights from lifetime nights to give all members an accurate readout of how many nights they have stayed, and then base lifetime status on this real number. I will have 115 rollover nights next year, and these nights will double count on my lifetime nights, which should not happen IMHO. This has happened the last several years that I have stayed more than 75 nights per year.
Unless all existing LTP get to keep their status I really hope they don't make any changes to rollover nights counting. I have 895 nights, but I know a lot of those were rollover. Once I reached LTP and with the Marriott/Starwood merger I have been spreading my stays around and even started staying at Hyatt's (I have a property that gives me 2500 bonus points per stay). If I needed to worry about hitting 750 butt in bed nights I would have kept them all at Marriotts... hopefully if they do change things up my LT SPG nights will keep me whole.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by bigshooter
Unless all existing LTP get to keep their status I really hope they don't make any changes to rollover nights counting. I have 895 nights, but I know a lot of those were rollover. Once I reached LTP and with the Marriott/Starwood merger I have been spreading my stays around and even started staying at Hyatt's (I have a property that gives me 2500 bonus points per stay). If I needed to worry about hitting 750 butt in bed nights I would have kept them all at Marriotts...
I think MR would have a PR nightmare if they take away already-gained lifetime status when the program changes. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't be worried about that, nor would I change my stay habits for such.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Tonight, assuming the “roll over” is in place at year end, is my LTP Qualification night

Based in the UK, although I travel extensively, the points have never been an issue - currently at 2.4m life time points; with no CC “bump”

*** and relax ***

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.