Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, and a mug on the wall at the local brewpub
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm very happy with the change. I was way down on points per night compared to others, and figured Gold was the best I would get to, 2-3 years from now. With the new requirements, I'm over on points and should have the nights by late this year. And PLT is now nights-constrained, about 3 yeas away.

I was at the low end for points, and rooms are getting more expensive every year - is points ever going to be the limiting factor for anyone anymore?

They don't count towards the 2011 roll-over, so they have a way of differentiating them. I doubt they can be double counted for Emeritus status. EDIT: OK, I'm wrong. Marriott clarified that double nights, roll-over nights, etc., do count. So I'm another 25 closer.
Where has it been clarified that rollover points count double (once last year, once this) for Emeritus (lifetime) status?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by boomdog
Where has it been clarified that rollover points count double (once last year, once this) for Emeritus (lifetime) status?
Good news for Lifetime Achievement

Marriott (Marriott Official) :
"As a means of clarification regarding promotional nights and Elite Rollover Nights: Yes. All qualified nights count towards Lifetime status, that includes any promotional nights (credit card, double nights, etc.), Elite Rollover Nights as well."
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, and a mug on the wall at the local brewpub
Originally Posted by CPRich
Good news for Lifetime Achievement

Marriott (Marriott Official) :
"As a means of clarification regarding promotional nights and Elite Rollover Nights: Yes. All qualified nights count towards Lifetime status, that includes any promotional nights (credit card, double nights, etc.), Elite Rollover Nights as well."
That's great news!!!!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:00 am

I met all of the qualifications for Lifetime Platinum except for the points under the old system. Having over 20 years as a Marriott Rewards Memeber and over 1,300 night and only 2.1 million points at the end of last year I didn't think I would ever have a chance. I'll most likely retire either this year or next and there wouldn't be any way I could earn another 900,000 points in that time frame.

Thank you Marriott for making it possible to attain this status. I intend to use my points while in retirement enjoying the hotels at different locations.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
Pleased with the updates

I'm happy with the changes. I would have likely achieved plat emeritus eventually anyway, but since I spend a lot of time at RI, the points requirement was a bit steep.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
I'm glad too....I would have easily gotten the nights, I have well over the amount of years, but I too would have taken another lifetime to get the points!

Thanks Marriott for a change that's actually good!^
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
It amazes me that MR does not keep a running list of the total stays per year for all rewards members since date of membership. They agree that I have been a Platinum member since 1995, but they only have me credited for 776 nights. I am certainly a member for more than 12 years (as of 2010, it is now 15, and 13 of those years have been as Plat), and as of today I have 2.23 million points accumulated lifetime, but I do not qualify as lifetime Plat because of not meeting the 1,000 night threshold. Now, I know that I missed out three years on 75 nights, one year back around 1999, I dropped down to about 50, and the year of SARS, which I think was 2002, I dropped to 55, but because of my heavy Asian travel that year they renewed me as Plat automatically with a form letter that went out to all regular guests in Asian Marriott branded hotels due to the SARS scare, and in 2008 I dropped down to 46 nights due to illness (I was in the hospital 13 times). However, since they do not keep annual totals on a list, they can't tell me what the room night totals were for the other years, and the room night credits they are counting for me seem VERY low. Simple math tells me that out of 15 years, 1995-2009, 12 of those years exceeding Plat requirements of 75 nights per year would add up to at least 900 nights alone, plus even if I averaged only 40 nights for those three years (I know it was more, but I will be conservative), that would come out to be another 120 nights, bringing me to CONSERVATIVELY OVER 1,020 PAID nights total in Marriott Hotels since 1995 alone. That also does not take into account the old Marriott Marquis years when I was a member from 1990 to 1994, and probably averaged 30 nights per year, bringing me another 150 nights, which, although under the same Marriott number, they claim to have no record of, and refuse to grant me credit for.

Again, it amazes me that they do not have a screen on their computer terminals which tells them, at a glance, what the total stays are for every year, so that whoever the member is speaking with at MR can simply quote, for example, "Well, Mr. Smith, for 1997 you had 101 nights, and for 1998 you had 92 nights, and for 1999 you had 120 nights, and for 2000 you had 88 nights, and for 2001 you had 115 nights, etc." What a simple thing for them to have set up on their computers for everyone to have that available to them, and what a huge time saver! I asked the MR representative that I was speaking with today for a breakdown of my stays since 1995, and had to ask specifically for the breakdown to be given by year, so I would know for myself how many stays they are crediting me for each of my 15 years, and whether I am being "shorted" or not. It should be elementary, but it is not!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by megtravels
I'm glad too....I would have easily gotten the nights, I have well over the amount of years, but I too would have taken another lifetime to get the points!

Thanks Marriott for a change that's actually good!^
For me it's the other way round. I've got the points (more than 2.6 Mio), but not enough nights (only 650)...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:23 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Yahoo....

Finally hit Lifetime Platinum at Marriott....

Am now Lifetime Platinum at American Airlines and Marrriott.

My sincere Congratulations to all who have made it to Marriott Lifetime Platinum - it is a huge accomplishment.

I can finally rest at home..
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:37 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
9 Years
1,075,000 Points
479 Nights

I've increased my annual nights and points a great deal over the past couple of years (thank you Marriott Visa), but I expect that after 3 years I'll be close to 2 million points, but still only have around 850 nights. I expect it will take around 5 years to hit lifetime plat (assuming no major program changes).
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by USirritated
It amazes me that MR does not keep a running list of the total stays per year for all rewards members since date of membership. They agree that I have been a Platinum member since 1995, but they only have me credited for 776 nights. I am certainly a member for more than 12 years (as of 2010, it is now 15, and 13 of those years have been as Plat), and as of today I have 2.23 million points accumulated lifetime, but I do not qualify as lifetime Plat because of not meeting the 1,000 night threshold. Now, I know that I missed out three years on 75 nights, one year back around 1999, I dropped down to about 50, and the year of SARS, which I think was 2002, I dropped to 55, but because of my heavy Asian travel that year they renewed me as Plat automatically with a form letter that went out to all regular guests in Asian Marriott branded hotels due to the SARS scare, and in 2008 I dropped down to 46 nights due to illness (I was in the hospital 13 times). However, since they do not keep annual totals on a list, they can't tell me what the room night totals were for the other years, and the room night credits they are counting for me seem VERY low. Simple math tells me that out of 15 years, 1995-2009, 12 of those years exceeding Plat requirements of 75 nights per year would add up to at least 900 nights alone, plus even if I averaged only 40 nights for those three years (I know it was more, but I will be conservative), that would come out to be another 120 nights, bringing me to CONSERVATIVELY OVER 1,020 PAID nights total in Marriott Hotels since 1995 alone. That also does not take into account the old Marriott Marquis years when I was a member from 1990 to 1994, and probably averaged 30 nights per year, bringing me another 150 nights, which, although under the same Marriott number, they claim to have no record of, and refuse to grant me credit for.

Again, it amazes me that they do not have a screen on their computer terminals which tells them, at a glance, what the total stays are for every year, so that whoever the member is speaking with at MR can simply quote, for example, "Well, Mr. Smith, for 1997 you had 101 nights, and for 1998 you had 92 nights, and for 1999 you had 120 nights, and for 2000 you had 88 nights, and for 2001 you had 115 nights, etc." What a simple thing for them to have set up on their computers for everyone to have that available to them, and what a huge time saver! I asked the MR representative that I was speaking with today for a breakdown of my stays since 1995, and had to ask specifically for the breakdown to be given by year, so I would know for myself how many stays they are crediting me for each of my 15 years, and whether I am being "shorted" or not. It should be elementary, but it is not!
I find it amazing too, but since I work in the field, let me elaborate. Most companies don't store historical customer data beyond a few years because it's pointless. There is very little correlation between what a customer purchased in 2002 vs. what he/she purchases today. For hotel rooms, it's much easier (and cheaper) for Marriott to keep a running total instead of a year-by-year total. There are also often legal reasons for disposing of data.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:47 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Greg,

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
It does seem that they have moved from making points the key factor in lifetime to nights. For people in the USA, UK and Canada who have a Marriott Rewards visa card, getting the points required will be easy. For those who don't have a MR visa, it seems to bring the points required more in line with the nights stayed.
Actually, for those of us who don't get the elite nights from a credit card (10-15 in the US), the points is often not the issue but the nights.

Take the difference between a Swiss member with no CC, and the US member with the CC earning 15 nights a year. Over the 12 year period, that amounts to 180 nights difference for the exact same spending pattern.

In comparison, for the points, European members typically don't have access to the RI's, FI's and SHS unless they travel to the US, and thus end up with higher room rates (how often do you find a full service Marriott in Paris or London for $99, which you can regularly find on the weekend in the Washington DC area?). As a result, points is not necessarily the challenge.

In my case, I've steadily had 2'500 points average per night since I hit Gold, which was exactly what you needed for lifetime qualification. (800 nights at 2'500 points was the 2M points required for lifetime gold).

I have send a PM to Marriott Concierge to propose a mixed system where a formula is found to add nights and points (for example, with a night being worth 2'000 points) and having a single threshold (other than the 12 year requirement). This would be fair to both the frequent stayer and the high spender.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
I stopped most of my traveling after the first half of last year.. I'm sure I qualified for one more year at Platinum Premier, but was short of the elusive Lifetime Platinum by about 500,000 points. It's nice to see the requirements reduction as this now allows me to qualify. The reduction in points requirements and rollover nights addition probably waters down the status a bit, but I'm the one benefiting, so I can't complain.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
In my case, I've steadily had 2'500 points average per night since I hit Gold, which was exactly what you needed for lifetime qualification. (800 nights at 2'500 points was the 2M points required for lifetime gold).
And 1000 nights would yield 2.5M points, still 20% short of the PLT cutoff. Thus, points is/was still the limiting factor. This was specifically true for PLT - the points/night, at 3,000, was out of line with the SLV/GLD of 2500. I suggested bringing PLT down to 2.5M. Aligning the ratios AND lowering them across the board was just a bonus. I'm in the US and don't have a cc and I'm limited by nights also. I suspect a very large majority of US MR members don't have the cc, so the 180 night difference applies to a small population. (Keep in mind, those folks also paid $750+ for those nights.)
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by USirritated

Originally Posted by moman
I find it amazing too, but since I work in the field, let me elaborate. Most companies don't store historical customer data beyond a few years because it's pointless. There is very little correlation between what a customer purchased in 2002 vs. what he/she purchases today. For hotel rooms, it's much easier (and cheaper) for Marriott to keep a running total instead of a year-by-year total. There are also often legal reasons for disposing of data.
Okay Moman, point taken, however, that is not what Marriott does, as per the conversations which I have had with them. They admit to having the history available to them, and can tally it up by hand, going year by yeara, and do so on occasion for research purposes, as I have asked them to do in my call on Monday, 1/11/2010. What they do is keep the history, and can look at it year by year, as the rep I was speaking with offered to do, if I wished to stay on the phone with her while she added it up laboriously, tediously, and wearily. Again, what amazes me is that they do not keep a simple running total, year by year, on a list, even if it is on a separate screen it would be better than what they have now. The rep I was speaking with was able to point out to me that I was not Plat for the entire 16 years since I first became Plat in 1995, which is true, and she was able to point out that I only had 46 nights for 2008, after counting it up, which is true since I was in the hospital 13 separate times in 2008 and had to restrict my travel (they kept me at Plat as a courtesy), and looked at one other year when I was low on nights and added that up too (I think it was 2003, which was low due to SARS), etc. The way Marriott does it simply does not make sense and is needlessly labor intensive.

Last edited by USirritated; Jan 13, 2010 at 9:21 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.