FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Typo on Gold Elite materials mailed out! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/780182-typo-gold-elite-materials-mailed-out.html)

GrizShel Jan 17, 2008 5:28 am

Typo on Gold Elite materials mailed out!

Please tell me this is a bad dream!

Received my Gold Elite materials in the mail last night, but the warm fuzzies evaporated very quickly when I read this:

From my membership materials:

Your Gold Elite level status will be renewed next year if you personally stay at least 75 nights with us in 2008. If you have any questions, please call Guest Services...
I was thinking I might possibly sneak in as a Platinum this spring on a rolling year basis (not something I expect to maintain on a long-term basis, unfortunately), but looks like that is out the window. Not happy at all about likely being downgraded to silver in 2009 based on this new 75-night requirement for Gold.

If this increase in the nights requirements holds up, I've got to do some major rethinking about hotel brand loyalty.

hhoope01 Jan 17, 2008 5:32 am

It must be a typo as the website still states 75/50/10 nights for the elite levels. Given that Marriott already requires more nights than their competitors for mid and top-tier elite levels, I don't see how they can raise them any more.

GrizShel Jan 17, 2008 5:35 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 9085242)
It must be a typo as the website still states 75/50/10 nights for the elite levels. Given that Marriott already requires more nights than their competitors for mid and top-tier elite levels, I don't see how they can raise them any more.

Let's hope so. Hopefully a Marriott rep will clarify this for us.

socrates Jan 17, 2008 6:42 am

typo unfortunately

hnewman Jan 17, 2008 6:56 am

Not true

From the web page

Nights this year:
You have stayed 4 nights this year. You need 71 more nights to maintain Platinum level.

GrizShel Jan 17, 2008 6:59 am

Originally Posted by socrates (Post 9085499)
typo unfortunately

"Unfortunately"? - now that choice of words can be taken a lot of different ways! But I take it Marriott does not have plans to increase the number of nights required to acheive elite status? What about a reduction to say 40 nights for gold and 70 for Platinum? :)

TrojanHorse Jan 17, 2008 7:00 am

I'm all for increasing the number of elite nites to qualify for plat/gold if the benefits go up accordingly

damon2 Jan 17, 2008 7:39 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 9085587)
I'm all for increasing the number of elite nites to qualify for plat/gold if the benefits go up accordingly

yes. To begin with - more bonus points for Gold and plats. 25% and 30% for gold /plats is low when the qualifying requirement is 50/75 nights.

socrates Jan 17, 2008 9:40 am

Originally Posted by GrizShel (Post 9085581)
But I take it Marriott does not have plans to increase the number of nights required to acheive elite status? What about a reduction to say 40 nights for gold and 70 for Platinum? :)

I haven't heard about any changes being made to required number of nights for each level...

jenn_1K Jan 17, 2008 10:50 am

Originally Posted by hnewman (Post 9085566)
From the web page

Nights this year:
You have stayed 4 nights this year. You need 71 more nights to maintain Platinum level.

For platinum, yes its 75 nights. But the OP was referring to maintaining Gold status.

florin Jan 17, 2008 11:48 am

If you go to the website and sign in, then click on My Marriott Rewards Account, it has that little bar graph there to show your Elite progress. It says there:
Silver (10 nights) Gold (50 nights) Platinum (75 nights)

So it was a typo.

holtju2 Jan 17, 2008 11:54 am

Marriott already requires the highest number of nights/stays for the least benefits so I don't believe that there would be a change.

cyberdad Jan 17, 2008 10:19 pm

Mine just rolled over, and I'm only showing one night.

I've gone from "platinum" to "aluminum foil".

Marriott Concierge Jan 18, 2008 3:32 pm

Hello,

There was a misprint on some of the recent Gold Elite material that mailed out. I assure you that the Gold elite achievement and renewal requirement of 50 nights did not change!

Also I haven't heard of any upcoming changes in the Elite night requirements.

Kind regards,

Originally Posted by GrizShel (Post 9085233)
Please tell me this is a bad dream!

Received my Gold Elite materials in the mail last night, but the warm fuzzies evaporated very quickly when I read this:

From my membership materials:

I was thinking I might possibly sneak in as a Platinum this spring on a rolling year basis (not something I expect to maintain on a long-term basis, unfortunately), but looks like that is out the window. Not happy at all about likely being downgraded to silver in 2009 based on this new 75-night requirement for Gold.

If this increase in the nights requirements holds up, I've got to do some major rethinking about hotel brand loyalty.

camachinist Jan 19, 2008 6:55 am

Freudian slip ;) :D

The date on that IT (typo) should've been Jan 1, 2009... LOL

Pat