FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum worth it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/756279-platinum-worth.html)

Time traveller Dec 14, 2011 11:57 am

I would say the main benefit of PLT over GLD is the extra bonus points and platinum gift. If you stay frequently at FS, Ren or JW, then the PLT/GLD status is worth it. I don't know if there is a large incremental benefit of PLT over GLD for most stays though.

Cantheplanegofaster? Dec 14, 2011 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by stc (Post 17624432)
Oh come on, surely Plats are going to get upgraded before Gold and in general be treated better. Of course, since Marriott likes to close its lounges on the weekends and not provide breakfast at most hotels except Marriott itself, I find neither Gold nor Platinum worth anything near what Hilton Diamond or Starwood Preferred are worth. I'm letting my Marriott Gold status expire at the end of this year.

Agree. The last several vacations I have taken I've been upgraded. Maybe I've been lucky but Marriott came through for me.

Two vacations I got suites for 5-6 nights. In one case we had thw suite for 3 nights and then had to go to regular room but we took what we could get... At the resorts you can forget a suite for the whole week (or longer) unless you pay the incremental upcharge.

As far as the difference in 30 vs 50%. Let's say you spend $40000 over the year with Marriott.
The difference in points btw gold and plat ends up being 120k. That's just shy of six free cat 5 nights or 4 full cat 6 nights. Of course I wish it was more but definitely a reason to accrue points on one account and an advantage of plat

I've looked at Sheraton properties and Starwood but then I'd have to give up my rollover nights and lifetime accural on Marriott to play the field.

maltasr Dec 15, 2011 4:11 am

I don't see any difference at all other than the two items you mentioned which are relatively inconsequential. Having access to the Concierge Floor and Lounge is the most important item when I stay at Marriott. Front desk people do not seem to discriminate between the two levels.

stc Dec 15, 2011 5:08 am

Originally Posted by maltasr (Post 17630577)
I don't see any difference at all other than the two items you mentioned which are relatively inconsequential. Having access to the Concierge Floor and Lounge is the most important item when I stay at Marriott. Front desk people do not seem to discriminate between the two levels.

Yes, access to the Concierge Floor and Lounge is important. It is a shame they are only open M-F except holidays and other exceptions. Which is exactly the reason I choose Hilton over Marriott. Free breakfast and access at (almost*) all hotels and all days of the week.

*OK, you don't get breakfast at Hilton Waldorf-Astoria properties, but I think that is the only exception.

neo_781 Dec 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller (Post 17626243)
I would say the main benefit of PLT over GLD is the extra bonus points and platinum gift. If you stay frequently at FS, Ren or JW, then the PLT/GLD status is worth it. I don't know if there is a large incremental benefit of PLT over GLD for most stays though.

I would agree and also add this is probably why SPG and Hyatt have a hard time justifying adding a mid-level. Both Marriott and Hilton barely distinguish between the two levels with the exception of more points.

darthbimmer Dec 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 17621668)
Here's my question: Is Plat worth $350?

I am currently at 45 nights and it will cost me approx. $500 to book 3 conference rooms (10 EQN per event). I've already decided to do 1 event to bump up to Gold.

Spending roughly $150 to secure gold is most likely worth it. You'll start enjoying upgrades and other benefits when you travel. How valuable those are depend on where you stay (limited service vs. full service, US vs. overseas).

Spending the extra $350 to get platinum is probably not worth it unless you expect to staying at platinum frequency next year. Plats only get a few extra benefits relative to Golds. Upgrades should theoretically come more frequently, but my personal experience is that properties that are good at giving upgrades give them to Golds as well as Plats.

For the people who are at 71 ~ 72 nights already and are thinking of a $350 mattress run to hit plat my answer is a bit different. First of all, you're more frequent travelers. Things like the higher point bonus are going to add up faster for you. Second, if you can book a trip that's not purely a mattress run the effective cost is a lot less than $350. I would not throw away $350 to gain status via phony meetings or rooms I don't even care to occupy. But if I had the opportunity to manufacture a couple of enjoyable little weekend getaways with my wife, coincidentally at MR properties that helped me cinch status, I would absolutely spend $350 on that. I've done that sort of thing before, and we've both enjoyed it.

Redline325 Dec 16, 2011 11:02 am

Looks like I'm going to wind up at 73 nights this year. I found a room for $69 a night within 30 minutes of me. I suppose it's worth it to spend $140 on the two nights to hit Platinum. Other than showing up to check in, what do I need to do to make this mattress run? Can I check in, mess up the bed.....then leave and never come back? Since it's two nights should I drop in the 2nd day?

LAXgt Dec 16, 2011 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Redline325 (Post 17639444)
Looks like I'm going to wind up at 73 nights this year. I found a room for $69 a night within 30 minutes of me. I suppose it's worth it to spend $140 on the two nights to hit Platinum. Other than showing up to check in, what do I need to do to make this mattress run? Can I check in, mess up the bed.....then leave and never come back? Since it's two nights should I drop in the 2nd day?

Is that 73 nights including rollover and bonus or just night stay? If you have rollover from last year, then you might not have to worry about mattress run.

maltasr Dec 16, 2011 11:16 am

A friend who is Platinum and knows how "to work the program" like no one else I know says you can reserve two rooms for the same night in your name and receive two nights credit. I thought this was outside the R&R's but she does it all the time everywhere she stays and has never had a problem receiving the two nights credit for the one night stay. So...why make it so hard on yourself? And you don't even have to ruffle the bedspread!

valor155 Dec 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by maltasr (Post 17639542)
A friend who is Platinum and knows how "to work the program" like no one else I know says you can reserve two rooms for the same night in your name and receive two nights credit. I thought this was outside the R&R's but she does it all the time everywhere she stays and has never had a problem receiving the two nights credit for the one night stay. So...why make it so hard on yourself? And you don't even have to ruffle the bedspread!

That's true. I have done this myself. Any more than 2 rooms, I didn't get points for.

That's a little easier I think to do 2 rooms at once if you only need 2 nights.

valor155 Dec 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 17634536)
Spending roughly $150 to secure gold is most likely worth it. You'll start enjoying upgrades and other benefits when you travel. How valuable those are depend on where you stay (limited service vs. full service, US vs. overseas).

Spending the extra $350 to get platinum is probably not worth it unless you expect to staying at platinum frequency next year. Plats only get a few extra benefits relative to Golds. Upgrades should theoretically come more frequently, but my personal experience is that properties that are good at giving upgrades give them to Golds as well as Plats.

For the people who are at 71 ~ 72 nights already and are thinking of a $350 mattress run to hit plat my answer is a bit different. First of all, you're more frequent travelers. Things like the higher point bonus are going to add up faster for you. Second, if you can book a trip that's not purely a mattress run the effective cost is a lot less than $350. I would not throw away $350 to gain status via phony meetings or rooms I don't even care to occupy. But if I had the opportunity to manufacture a couple of enjoyable little weekend getaways with my wife, coincidentally at MR properties that helped me cinch status, I would absolutely spend $350 on that. I've done that sort of thing before, and we've both enjoyed it.

^ +1. This is great analysis here of whether or not to go for it. Spot on.

Redline325 Dec 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by LAXgt (Post 17639531)
Is that 73 nights including rollover and bonus or just night stay? If you have rollover from last year, then you might not have to worry about mattress run.

My 73 nights is all in....stays, rollover, bonus, etc. I'm kicking myself now because back in July I tried to see if the grass was greener and stayed at a Sheraton for 2 nights....wish I wouldn't have done that now, especially since that Sheraton sucked!

Redline325 Dec 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by maltasr (Post 17639542)

Great idea! Thanks for the reminder...I did this already once this year when I booked and paid for a customer's room. I got credit for both rooms.

hhoope01 Dec 16, 2011 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by valor155 (Post 17640147)
That's true. I have done this myself. Any more than 2 rooms, I didn't get points for.

Per Marriott's T&Cs one person is supposed to receive points for upto 3 rooms per night, but will only receive one night/stay credit per night. The pertinent rules are Marriott Rewards Earnings T&Cs.

With that said, at non-FS hotels, most of the times I have booked more than one room, I have received night/stay credit for upto 3 rooms (and points for those rooms as well.) At FS hotels, most of the times I have booked more than one room, I will receive only one night/stay credit and correctly receive points for up to 3 rooms. (I think FS and non-FS hotels have a different system they use which is the reason why one follows the rules more closely than the other.)

So the moral of the story is don't bank on getting more than 1 night/stay credit per night even with 2 or more rooms. You might get lucky and receive more night credits, but you might not. If it were me, even though I have received extra night credits per night at non-FS hotels, I still wouldn't gamble with my money on it working. I'd just go ahead and get one room at a time.

OliverM Dec 16, 2011 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by stc (Post 17630704)
Yes, access to the Concierge Floor and Lounge is important. It is a shame they are only open M-F except holidays and other exceptions. Which is exactly the reason I choose Hilton over Marriott. Free breakfast and access at (almost*) all hotels and all days of the week.

*OK, you don't get breakfast at Hilton Waldorf-Astoria properties, but I think that is the only exception.

My words. Whatfor is a lounge if it is closed half of the time?