Who let the dogs out?

Old Oct 24, 07, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Who let the dogs out?

I'm sitting here in a Courtyard at 5AM listening to a dog barking. First time this has happened to me in the seven or eight years that I've been visiting CYs. Do CYs really allow pets??
Old Oct 24, 07, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler View Post
I'm sitting here in a Courtyard at 5AM listening to a dog barking. First time this has happened to me in the seven or eight years that I've been visiting CYs. Do CYs really allow pets??
some locations yes, just as a side note extended stay hotels must accept pets as part of their brand standards
Old Oct 24, 07, 9:04 am

But that doesn't mean the hotel shouldn't do something to ensure other hotel patrons have a chance to have a good night's sleep.
Old Oct 24, 07, 9:12 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TravelingWookiee View Post
But that doesn't mean the hotel shouldn't do something to ensure other hotel patrons have a chance to have a good night's sleep.
True, but one might help them with that by letting them know that there is a dog barking. The OP doesn't let us know if they notified the front desk. If they don't know about it, they can't help with the situation.
Old Oct 24, 07, 11:03 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
Dogs as travel partners

I often travel with my dog, he is always my best friend, but I never leave him alone in the room, nor allow him to bark at any time in a hotel room.
Sounds like this dog may have been left alone, otherwise I can't imagine the barking would not be a bother to those in the same room, let alone you.
As a dog lover, my appoligies, but a call to the front desk most likely could have taken care of the issue.
Ruff!
Old Oct 24, 07, 4:49 pm

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
My father-in-law recently stayed at a CY in Denver when he spotted someone walking a pot bellied pig through the lobby.
Old Oct 25, 07, 11:24 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Sadly, most dog owners are oblivious to the noise their pets make and the impact barking has on one's sleep, whether its 12 midnight or 6 am. And most dogs are not trained / disciplined to only bark when really necessary (owners fault again). And most owners get overly defensive when the issue is brought to their attention and corrective action is requested.

I live in a wooded area with 2 acre zoning when means everyone has large, loud dogs, if not more than one. Even with windows closed, loud constant barking is annoying and enough to wake one up repeatedly at early/late hours. After battling and trying to keep the peace in the neighborhood, I run a loud fan by my bed year round to drown out the noise rather than leave it to chance.

And I own a large Husky that I've trained using a $5 soft cloth muzzle to curtail his barking when let outdoors. A simple solution.
Old Oct 25, 07, 3:14 pm

Programs: WN A-List, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Was in the Old San Diego CY Downtown (think that's the name of the prop) on Tues. of this week, and heard a doggie barking each time I entered/exited my room. The owner (next door to me) was like 'I told you before...STOP BARKING!!!' Hehe! I thought it was cute.
I chalked up the barking boy to be a product of displaced SAN residents (Wildfires). Didn't bother me a bit. In the morning, I made sure to be extra quiet as to not stir the pup and wake his owners. They probably had enough issues already.
Now...if he kept yappin' all night, that would have been a different story.
Old Oct 26, 07, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
I have to go outside to smoke, yet people can bring dogs inside? I understand the smell + health risks from 2nd hand smoke, but as someone allergic to dog hair and annoyed by barking then I think it is a double standard. If you're trying to make every feel safe/comfortable then no dogs should be allowed.
Old Oct 27, 07, 4:23 am

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JimJ321 View Post
I have to go outside to smoke, yet people can bring dogs inside? I understand the smell + health risks from 2nd hand smoke, but as someone allergic to dog hair and annoyed by barking then I think it is a double standard. If you're trying to make every feel safe/comfortable then no dogs should be allowed.
I think you're forgetting that there's no politically correct movement to curtail pets from being inside.
Old Oct 28, 07, 5:38 pm

Programs: WN A-List, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is View Post
I think you're forgetting that there's no politically correct movement to curtail pets from being inside.
Thank God!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: