Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott, Starwood and Ritz > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

I've seen a lot, but boogers all over the bedsheets?

Old Oct 22, 07, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold

Checked into an FI last night, did some work at the desk and then thought I'd watch the Cleveland Indians choke their way through game 7. Pulled down the top sheets and was leaning over to grab a pillow when I noticed a large green spot (think Rorschach test) on the top sheet. Seems like someone decided to use this sheet as their own personal handkerchief. Yuck...and normally there's not much that can gross me out. Then I saw the big green spots on the side of the bed as well! Must have been someone who was fairly sick with a sinus-type problem....I've never seen this much snot in one place!

I went down to the desk and asked if perhaps I'd been given a room from which someone checked out early, as there were also a couple bottles of pop in the fridge, and the front desk said "no, that room has been empty for a couple of days." Even if it was in the middle of the stay and therefore Housekeeping wasn't going to change the sheets, this was more than obvious - I don't know how they could have made the bed without seeing it. I'll chalk this one up to them just not paying attention - but it makes me wonder what else is escaping them.

And no, this is not about compensation....$%@& happens. I just wanted to share the most recent out-of-the-ordinary occurrence. Guess I shouldn't have asked for the upgrade when I checked in!
Old Oct 22, 07, 11:02 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
This is more than a s''t happens situation.
You are due points equevillent to one nights lodging IMO.
That is beyond disgusting and MR HQ should be notified regarding the lack of attention to houskeeping at this property.
Sadly-this seems to be the norm with FIs which is one reason I refuse to stay in them.
Old Oct 22, 07, 11:03 am

I knew I forgot something. Could you mail those to me?
Old Oct 22, 07, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA Gld, Hyatt plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat amb, SPG Life Gold, Marriott Gold
Ran across a similar and equally amazing quantity all over the shower curtain liner of a Hawthorn Suites once.

Last edited by schriste; Oct 22, 07 at 12:23 pm
Old Oct 22, 07, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
As bad as the bedspread I had in a Holiday Inn that had large, oily stains and stank of kerosene....
Old Oct 22, 07, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena View Post
This is more than a s''t happens situation.
You are due points equevillent to one nights lodging IMO.
That is beyond disgusting and MR HQ should be notified regarding the lack of attention to houskeeping at this property.
Sadly-this seems to be the norm with FIs which is one reason I refuse to stay in them.
No, I don't think it is.

I've stayed here numerous times in the past year and this is the first episode I've had. Did someone try to cut corners and pretend this room had been cleaned? Probably. Are the rest of the rooms expected to be just as disgusting? Probably not. One data point of "yuck" versus numerous instances of "satisfactory" does not make a statistically significant conclusion.
Old Oct 22, 07, 2:32 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bankingconsultant View Post
No, I don't think it is.

I've stayed here numerous times in the past year and this is the first episode I've had. Did someone try to cut corners and pretend this room had been cleaned? Probably. Are the rest of the rooms expected to be just as disgusting? Probably not. One data point of "yuck" versus numerous instances of "satisfactory" does not make a statistically significant conclusion.
I'd be worrying that I'm sleeping on someone else's dirty linens on subsequent stays. Requesting compensation is likely to bring the situation to the attention of the appropriate people, and help guarantee that a repeat doesn't occur.
Old Oct 22, 07, 3:21 pm

Programs: WN A-List, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Holy crap! ROTFLMFAO!!!
This has got to be the funniest (sorry!) post I have read in a minute.
Ew!!! Truly brings back some childhood memories.
What was that Sheena Easton song?...'My Booger Walls'?
Old Oct 22, 07, 7:03 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I'm gonna be sick in a minute...

Got this from a USA reader post, I think its great:

gallison8 wrote:
Either way, you're paying big $$$ to sleep on a bed that dozens of people have slept on and had sex on before you got there. You eat overpriced food that's prepared by underpaid people. You're forced to pay ripoff prices and fees for everything by being a tourist--meanwhile who knows what's going on back at your house? Tell me again how glamorous traveling is.
Old Oct 22, 07, 9:55 pm

Programs: MR PP; DL P; CO P
Unfortunately, I've seen rooms this bad at several Hiltons - all levels. Most of the time, housekeeping at Marriott is more reliable, even at FI. It's a big reason for my loyalty.
Old Oct 23, 07, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the groans....and especially to Joshua for the ... um, enlightening ... piece about life on the road.

Brings to mind my favorite version of the old adage....

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends, but you can't put your friends under the sofa."
Old Oct 23, 07, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
To be fair, the Indians did play like something that might get blown out your nose.

Mike
Old Oct 23, 07, 11:31 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM; UA Silver, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by bankingconsultant View Post
Thanks to all for the groans....and especially to Joshua for the ... um, enlightening ... piece about life on the road.

Brings to mind my favorite version of the old adage....

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends, but you can't put your friends under the sofa."
Old Oct 23, 07, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA 2P, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Don't ever let my son near your bed if that grossed you out!

I swear the kid can pick his nose while in REM.
Old Oct 23, 07, 11:07 pm

Programs: Marriott and SPG Platinum Premier Lifetime + Ambassador Charter, UA 1MM, UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum
Yeah, dont get me started on hotel cleanliness...for example:

Do you really think the unused towels are taken out of the bathroom and washed when each person checked out? Now, how many steamy showers has your towel seen?

Have you ever seen a coffee pot cleaned more than just wiped out? Look at the maid cart and see that there are no replacements there.

Have you ever looked in the back of the coffee maker? In the water reservoir? I have found mold growing back there!

I have tested to see if sink glasses were changed out during my stay. They were not based on the small marks I made, which does not bother me. But what about when I check out?

Gross stuff!

Search this Thread