Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is MARSHA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
After the utter failure of the consolidated project with AA and Avis or Hertz, as I recall. What was that called? I can't remember.
Oh gosh...I had a friend on that team...this will bug me and I'm sure I'll wake at 2am and scream out the name of that silly thing.....but that project was killed years before MARSHA III was even discussed...but without that project MARSHA III was needed shortly down the road....and how times have changed...Bill made the comment on either CNN or ABC nightline within the past 60 days that there were 1300 HQ based IR employees...I can remember there being only a few hundred...that's after outsourcing desktop support to Unisys
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Is there anyone who thinks that MARSHA is still a good or better system than what Starwood was using?

I thought this was an interesting statement:

When Marriott announced its interest in acquiring Starwood, one would have believed that they factored in a $500 million Starwood IP technology value within their $13.6 Billion offer, and that they would have been salivating at the prospect of having their hands on the fruits of the multi-year transformation experience this IP represented. After all, while stable as a rock, Marriott’s own system today centers around 1970’s Mainframe TPF technology (MARSHA) suitably kept current via the judicious use of the scotch-tape and wires represented by a cornucopia of front-end gateways and the labor intense support of inflexible legacy code, eclectic data bases, hard-coded interfaces, and a veritable zoo of different property management systems crying for better integration.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/marri...srael-del-rio/
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Is there anyone who thinks that MARSHA is still a good or better system than what Starwood was using?
I think I’ve made my feelings known enough times, but in a recent stay at a legacy Starwood property, one employee told me that when they converted to Marriott’s IT, it was like training on 1990’s computers.

There are some Marriott fanboys here though who say it’s great IT because it’s cloud based.

As far as I’m concerned, Marriott’s garbage IT is the single most important reason why this merger was such a failure. And mgmt doesn’t appear to have a clue as to what’s going on.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:11 pm

As someone that worked in the industry I'm familiar with Marsha and can vouch the systems is outdated legacy garbage
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
"Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!"--Jan Brady. Or Marcia?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
There are some Marriott fanboys here though who say it’s great IT because it’s cloud based.

Actually, it was the Starwood IT guys who said their system was superior because it was cloud-based. Marriott came into the merger with their legacy mainframe system and decided to move to a cloud-based system rather than invest in new hardware and software to handle the additional load from the Starwood merger. It was also Starwood's cloud-based systems which had the data breach.

As far as I’m concerned, Marriott’s garbage IT is the single most important reason why this merger was such a failure. And mgmt doesn’t appear to have a clue as to what’s going on.
It's been my #1 problem, and continues to be one. Sort by Price is still broken (it's hidden, but it's still there...and still doesn't work), folios sent by e-mail are hit-or-miss, stays posting is a crapshoot, being able to download folios is also hit-or-miss. BUT...at least I can get the FAX # and know my hotel room will have an AM/FM radio, a chair, and hair dryer in it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.