Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
For my dates, I see that Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden is now only $1 difference. Maybe this would be a better choice compared to CY Central? Good breakfast, good view of the river from the lounge. And I see that it's located right across a subway station on line 10 and nearby attractions.
Renaissance Yu Garden is an alright choice and subway line 10 quite convenient to use from the hotel.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
New Fairfield in Shanhai

breakfast @ new SH Fairfield
​​​​​​​Looked at this new brand in Shanghai. The 3 web site pics are good, the rooms are modern, nice wood tile floors, no tub or desk. Nice small gym & 2 computers in the lobby. The morning inclusive breakfast is 'hot' with local Shanghai dishes at the egg/noodle station. The location has quite a few nearby restaurants- hot pot, street food, soup dumplings, even a McD.

Last edited by Jiatong; Jan 28, 2018 at 1:22 am
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: free agent
I am planning to use hotel+air package (Cat 1-5) in Shanghai this April. JW Marriott Tomorrow Square will drop to Cat 5 soon, and would you recommend me to stay at this property? I am flexible with location, and primarily in Shanghai for sightseeing purposes along with few days of R&R. Also, how's lounge and swimming pool option at JW Marriott Tomorrow Square compare to other Renaissance / Marriott properties in shanghai?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by washeelers747
I am planning to use hotel+air package (Cat 1-5) in Shanghai this April. JW Marriott Tomorrow Square will drop to Cat 5 soon, and would you recommend me to stay at this property? I am flexible with location, and primarily in Shanghai for sightseeing purposes along with few days of R&R. Also, how's lounge and swimming pool option at JW Marriott Tomorrow Square compare to other Renaissance / Marriott properties in shanghai?
I have had good stays at the JW Tomorrow Square. At Cat 5 it is a bargain. The location is convenient for sightseeing and the ground floor concierge was able to arrange some things for me at the last minute. The CL is plush, large but sometimes overcrowded. I have been UGed to a two room suite with a view of the park. If you are there on a Sunday, go into the park to see the Marriage Market. It's unique.

Your profile, though, causes me some concern for you on a trip to Shanghai. Once you've been to AOO and experienced the Horseshoe Curve, Slinky Action Zone and Mamie's in Martinsburg (seriously best place for breakfast in the world), might Shanghai be a letdown? Seriously, yours is the first profile I've seen with AOO. This proud AAHS grad, Roosevelt, Garfield, Baker and Penn Mont man wishes you a good trip.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I have had good stays at the JW Tomorrow Square. At Cat 5 it is a bargain. The location is convenient for sightseeing and the ground floor concierge was able to arrange some things for me at the last minute. The CL is plush, large but sometimes overcrowded. I have been UGed to a two room suite with a view of the park. If you are there on a Sunday, go into the park to see the Marriage Market. It's unique.

Your profile, though, causes me some concern for you on a trip to Shanghai. Once you've been to AOO and experienced the Horseshoe Curve, Slinky Action Zone and Mamie's in Martinsburg (seriously best place for breakfast in the world), might Shanghai be a letdown? Seriously, yours is the first profile I've seen with AOO. This proud AAHS grad, Roosevelt, Garfield, Baker and Penn Mont man wishes you a good trip.
How is gold recognition there? I was thinking about doing a points stay there for my final night. The other night or two I am staying at hyatt andaz but I don't have any real status there and thought this might be a good use of points on my final night.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:55 pm

Loved the yu garden renaissance, excellent lounge with gorgeous view of the river
ive been there for stays for the last 3 years and will gladly stay again
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
Just finished an award stay at the JW Marriott Tomorrow Square, and I highly recommend this hotel. It is a great deal at Cat 5. I was upgraded to a corner room with a great view of People's Square and Pudong area. As a PP, I was able to choose between breakfast in the restaurant or lounge. The restaurant buffet had more choices, but the lounge still had a good selection. The proximity to People's Square station was also very convenient. The hotel is about a block or two away from exit 11 at the station. If I go back to Shanghai, this will probably be my go to hotel for an award stay.

Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Loved the yu garden renaissance, excellent lounge with gorgeous view of the river
ive been there for stays for the last 3 years and will gladly stay again
My mom stayed there last week. I chose it based on the super easy access to Line 10, which is almost civilized.

I don't think the area provides a good feel for Shanghai yet, but this is changing, and you can get to the heart of the French Concession pretty easily.

As far as the property itself is concerned, my mom felt it was built in the 70s (not possible, I believe), but it was pleasant. The gym was tired. Great lounge. You get a nice lujiazui view if you are on north or east side of the hotel (this is kind of important because the south and west facing rooms feature views of construction sites).

This pic is of the room service robot; very cool!
Jiatong likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I just completed a stay at Yu Garden Renaissance and it was quite nice.

One may receive breakfast in the lounge or restaurant. The lounge will cook eggs to order and also has Eggs Benedict daily on the buffet, and also two meats bacon and type of sausage varies daily. Fruit, Congee, and other Asian dishes. Nice selection of pastries. I chose the lounge as it had everything I wanted and service was great. It opened at 0600 for breakfast, whereas restaurant opened at 0630.

Evening food offering varied every night which amounted to dinner for me every night. It included a cooked fresh option at the cooking station, and then at least two other main appetizers and a different rice each evening along with 1 or 2 other sides. Also fruit and Sushi one evening. Desserts were excellent and there were usually 4-6 different choices.

As mentioned I did this for dinner 3 of 4 nights. With Labor Day holiday Sunday April 29 - Tuesday May 1, the evening of Monday April 30 was swamped with families so I went down to the restaurant. They had a buffet there along with your choice of Steak, Ribs, Chicken or Fish main. Cost was 198 ¥, but half price for hotel guests so only 99 ¥, or about $15.50 USD. I thought it was for the 230g steak they listed on the menu, and guessed at that price it was for a sirloin cut as opposed to Ribeye or Filet. I ordered the steak and was surprised to see a large 400g Ribeye done to a perfect medium rare delivered to me.

Lounge service was impeccable verging on overkill. I felt guilty when I went up and prepared a Cappuccino myself.

Location for me was perfect. Right next to Yu Garden China Town shopping, nice walk to Xin Tien Di, and Tien Zi Fang. And equally nice walk in the opposite direction to the Bund. I also walked over to the JW Marriott which is by far a much nicer hotel, but I didn't care for its location. It is right next to Tomorrow Square but quite a distance from the Bund, Xin Tien Di, and Yu Garden. Yes, one can take the Shanghai Metro, but it is usually quite crowded as is Shanghai itself.

From and to the Airport I took the Maglev which was not operating at it top speed for some reason. It would max out at 301 km/hr whereas on my previous trip it maxed out at 431 km/hr. It Longyang Rd I then connected to Line 2 for 6 stops to E Nanjing Rd where I changed to line 10 for 1 stop to Renaissance Yu Garden.

While I would stay at this hotel again if I return to Shanghai, the big question there is will I return. Shanghai was busy with people, packed and hot Metro, and very poor air quality to the point I would get bits in my eye on a few occasions, burning eyes, and regularly cough and sneeze from the pollutants. The first two days were the worst. As soon as I ventured into an establishment with proper ventilation, all symptoms would cease within a couple minutes.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My understanding is the maglev doesn't operate many trains at top speed because the incremental cost is substantial, and you only save one minute.

I also like the Yu Garden Ren because it's on Line 10, which is the most useful subway line for me. Did you get a chance to use the robot?
Old May 19, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Anyone stayed at the CY Shanghai Pudong? Comments on the lounge and rooms?
Old May 19, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Anyone stayed at the CY Shanghai Pudong? Comments on the lounge and rooms?
Rooms and lounge are fine. Nothing special but I assume you know it’s a courtyard.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does the JW Marriott Tomorrow Square still have a shuttle to The Bund on weekends? or just during the week?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I‘m visiting Shanghai for the first time in late October (5 nights) and need your help planning it. Trying to cash in a few points and would like to know which Category 2 or 3 property you would recommend. Just trying to get the most out of a rather small amount of points 😜. Location isn’t the most important factor for me since I don‘t mind walking lots of miles or taking the metro one station further. More important for me is a nice breakfast (I am a Lifetime Platinum Premier, being able to use the restaurant buffet instead of the lounge is a plus), a pool and/or spa (is it still warm enough for outdoor pools in late October?) and preferably a lounge where I can still grab a beer and a water after 7pm (always hate when they close shop early). Given these preferences, where would I be off best? Shanghai has so many full service properties in this point range that I‘m really undecided at this point - saw that there even is a JW in Category 2. I know that some Courtyards in Asia are better than some full service properties which makes the decision even more difficult. I‘ve been to the Courtyard Sha Tin in Hong Kong recently and was really impressed by this property, so for me a Courtyard in China is no deal breaker 😀
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I’m currently in Shanghai and have been here for almost a month. So I’ve tried a few different ones.

The prices are actually quite low. So also consider just paying for it depending on the nights.

Courtyard Xujiahui. Good location. Convenient to metro line 1, 9, 11. There’s a lot of shopping malls and food closeby. And it’s a short subway ride to French concession and People Square. You get either breakfast at lounge or Momo Cafe. I personally like the breakfast. It’s has a lot of local Shanghaiese breakfast items that taste pretty good. Since I am in Shanghai I didn’t try any western options. The selection is pretty big. The lounge serves basically a full dinner at night and beers/wines until 9 or 9:30. It has a decent pool. The rooms are small but quite nice. Could def pass for a full service Marriott elsewhere. You get bath robes. All toiletries you expect in Asia. Slippers. I got daily fruit plate two bottles of water. And they even have evening turn down!!!

Renaissance Yu Garden. Prime location. Right next to Yu Garden. Just subway ride to Xintiandi or Nanjing Road. You can even walk to the Bund. Many rooms have incredible view of the Pudong skyline. I think the breakfast is only at the lounge? I didn’t ask if I could eat at the restaurant. Rooms are quite nice. The pool is at the top floor. And layout (as with all pools in China) are a bit weird. But overall I would say out of the cat 2-3 hotels I’ve stayed at, it maybe the best pool. Nice lounge chairs with great views. And fitness center is also on top floor.

Renaissance Zhongsan Park. Great location. You are on line 2,3,4 so basically you are a short ride away from the bullet train station (HongQiao) and either airport. You can take it to jinan temple, Nanjin Road West (world’s largest Starbucks), people square, and Pudong. It may be the tallest building on the Puxi side with 58 stories. Rooms start on 28. So the views are incredible. I got a nice corner room with is technically a junior suite. The lounge is quite nice with alcohol until 9;30. I checked out the pool last night and it’s huge. They also have hot tub steam room and sauna. I decided to stay here for a few extra nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.