Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Fairfield Inn - Are they all crappy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:14 am
Original Poster

We were recently forced to stay at a Fairfield Inn in the Ft. Worth area to bring down our expenses. I had never stayed at one before, so really didn't know what to expect. After having stayed at the "HOTEL" a couple of weeks now, I can definitely say that it sucks. The bed is hard, not just firm, and very uncomfortable. It is the same for all my colleagues too. The furniture is real cheap too. And the room doesn't have much of a decor. The towels are like sand paper and I don't even want to mention the toiletries. So overall, it has not been a pleasant experience.

I wanted to know if anyone has had a good Fairfield stay. I am surprised that the Marriott chain would tag along a dog like the Fairfield.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Fairfield is the budget hotel in the chain. You were expecting the Four Seasons?

Having said that, some are better than others. The one in Columbus on Olentangy is quite good.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:16 am

Programs: Former DL Plat - 1 MM, CO Infinite Plat, MRT PLT
Short answer - Yes. You get what you pay for.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I have not stayed at a Fairfield Inn, and I have no plans to anytime soon. Much of my travel is on weekends where the savings are marginal at best. The general consensus on FT about Fairfield Inn is that it is inferior to Hampton Inns, and there is also a wide variation in quality from property to property.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've spent a lot of time in FI's (on my own dime). While the variation is there, I have in general been well satisfied. My last two stays (within the last week or so) were at different properties and both had the new beds (very comfortable). And who really worries about the "decor"?

I don't know if it makes a difference, but as a MR Plat, I always have a little something waiting for me, plenty of towels, coffee (and usually cookies) all night, etc.

I wouldn't want to hold a 3-day seminar there, but for a place to sleep it serves just fine.

Jeez --- I can't wait to tell the guys about the "decor" issue.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:23 am
une

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I have stayed at two different FIs. One in Minneapolis and one in New Hampshire. Like other posters already stated, it's not the most upscale hotel, but the ones where I have stayed were pretty nice. They had the new beds, the service was good and the one in Minneapolis had a free shuttle to anywhere within 5 miles, which took you to the airport, Mall of America, the light rail station etc.
Overall I would rate my experience there as very good.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
They're not all crappy, keep in mind they are a low end hotel. However, I've seen the worst customer service (or complete lack thereof) at one recently.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668914
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I almost stayed at a FI once. I looked at the room and went and booked the nearby CY or FS Marriott. That was about 6-8 years ago and I haven't considered them since, and have no plans to do so in the future.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
i've stayed at many a FI over the years; some are much nicer than others yet I have yet to meet ONE that had a good bed
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhilpert
Short answer - Yes. You get what you pay for.
I spend ~250 nights a year in hotels and don't think that $109/night is peanuts. I have stayed in full service Marriotts for less.

I am a plat and do get those extra towels too, but don't really need extras to scrape myself. And the loud A/C units in the rooms are extremely annoying. I guess the FI I am staying at is far worse than the average FI.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold, WN A-List, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Avis 1st
Fairfields have some very poor properties (the one south of Birmingham, Al was the worst place I ever stayed at) and some decent ones (Bar Harbor, Me and Syosset, NY). If they changed over to the new bedding package they are a decent nights sleep and normally priced well. The breakfast is pretty lame.

Try Hilton Garden Inn as an alternative. They are my favorite low priced chain.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:18 pm
rln

I've stayed in Fairfields around the country and, on the whole, they have much to recommend them. Similar to their "full service" cousins, its the little touches that sometimes make the difference. Many have free operational internet available in the reception area. Some cook up chocolate chip cookies in the evening. Almost all seem to offer a wide selection of cable channels. The breakfast offerings offer the standard staples (waffles, Jimmy Dean sandwiches) but some offer such things as strawberry and whipped toppings (Bellevue Washington) and pigs in a blanket (Tuscaloosa, Alabama). For those of you who pine away for "upgrades," a couple of times I've been given suite type rooms and rooms with giant jacuzzi's (one, I recall, big enough for four people.) Occasionally, the workout room equipment is superior to some found in full service properties. So. . . .even though I've stayed at a lot of full service properties (all on my own dime), I see nothing wrong at all with the Fairfield brand.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton HHonors
For those of you using Interstate 75 I endorse the Fairfield Inn in Corbin, Kentucky. Wireless Internet in the rooms, beds were comfortable, furniture was just fine and the pool and hot tub area okay. Breakfast too. For 60 bucks a night right off the Interstate...it's a great deal. Friendly and helpful staff also.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Love 'em or Hate 'em, there are a few Great things about them;

1) You get night credit and earn MR pts

2) they count towards the promos and even as the 1st stay when the promo starts with 'From your 2nd stay...'

3) in alot of locales it doesnt pay to have a CY or FS Hotel , like off an Exit Ramp on the Interstate, so its Great being able to have a place where you can earn your pts and stay credits. rather then blowing your $$$ and getting nothing for it

You do get what you pay for, and its not a Ren but usually it will take care of my needs and they do serve a nice free breakfast. A place to take a hot shower and catch some ZZZs, when needing a place for the night and on the go. anything more fancier and it would cost alot more. Just look at what Hamptons are charging, thats why its been awhile since Ive been to a Ham.

It would be nice if Marriott insists that any FI coming on Not be done so unless they have only Interior corridors. dont think its right to throw out those that already do, but they shouldnt let any new ones come aboard even if its a brand new construction if they indeed have exterior rooms.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PCMflyer
Fairfields have some very poor properties (the one south of Birmingham, Al was the worst place I ever stayed at) and some decent ones (Bar Harbor, Me and Syosset, NY). If they changed over to the new bedding package they are a decent nights sleep and normally priced well. The breakfast is pretty lame.

Try Hilton Garden Inn as an alternative. They are my favorite low priced chain.
HGIs are anything but a Low priced chain. They are a step or 2 above the FI, more like a CY. To me they are a Deluxe Motel. But most today are in the $150+ area rate wise, and thats far from being low priced, it would hard to find too many FIs at that rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.