Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

These Samsonite spinner bags that Marriott is giving away....

These Samsonite spinner bags that Marriott is giving away....

Old Mar 12, 07, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by sp29201 View Post
Are you getting the same message?
Yes.

Am I supposed to "activate" my card, b.t.w.??
Old Mar 12, 07, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall View Post
Am I supposed to "activate" my card, b.t.w.??
I didn't... I called to get the balances (because I ordered multiple cards), then wrote "1K" or "2K" on the back with a Sharpie so I'd know what card I was using at a given stay, but otherwise they work just like a credit card. I've used it twice so far, and both times when they ask, "Do you want to leave it on XXX credit card?" at check-in, I hand them the GC, they swipe it, and that's it -- the bill under the door has the GC card number on it, and deducts from the balance.
Old Mar 12, 07, 12:52 pm

Programs: NW-Plat,Marriott-Plat,Hilton-Gold,Hertz-Pres Circle
gift card system is probably down

DJMeatBall,

thanks for replying. So it is not just me. Their gift card system is probably down.
I think that once they load the amount, it is activated, we do not have to explicitly activate it.

thanks,
Sp29201
Old Mar 12, 07, 3:58 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Same for me...checking out tomorrow and need the balance on my card..have to call..website not working correctly right now.
Old Mar 12, 07, 7:46 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
I just tried to check my balance online and received the same error message. And I have already used my card for two charges, so I have to assume it has been "activated".

Considering all the "ordering" errors that they had earlier, I don't think we should be too surprised that they are having errors with checking the balance either.
Old Mar 13, 07, 4:35 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 View Post
Same for me...checking out tomorrow and need the balance on my card..have to call..website not working correctly right now.
Why do you need the balance before you check out? If there is not enough, you would just pay the difference.

I have ordered and used six of these cards since the promotion began and have not had a problem with the hotel taking it. They can quickly check the balance for you if it is important to you to know.

William
Old Mar 13, 07, 5:25 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
Why do you need the balance before you check out?

I tried checking out on a bill ~$600 with ~$400 left on a card, and could not do it. They had to first find the balance, THEN put that ammount in before using a second card. Just wanted to make one less step when im checking out!
Old Mar 15, 07, 5:09 am

Programs: UA IK: Marriott Platinum: SPG Platinum
So I tried to use one of my gift cards for the first time at the Preston Marriott this morning. I had told the lady when I checked in that I wanted to pay with a gift card and she said she would make SURE someone would be there the morning I was to leave who knew how to use one. Well yeah right.

So I hand the lady the gift card. She thanks me turns it over with a puzzled look and hands it back. So then I insist that I want to PAY with the gift card and that it had $2000 on it. She again looks at me like I had handed her an apple to pay my bill.

She disappears only to come back, writes down the number on a scrap of paper, and hands the card back to me.

What the heck is that about!!?

I have a credit card on file with them and I'm betting that it gets charged rather than the gift card.

Should I call the Marriott? Once I've checked out and they charge my credit card is there any way to reverse that to put it on the gift card?

Any advice is welcomed....
Old Mar 15, 07, 5:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
It is possible for them to reverse a charge on a credit card and put it on your gift card instead. I did it once after checking out when I forgot to give my gift card. I would try to find someone else at the front desk who can do it.
Old Mar 15, 07, 7:15 am

I'd have told her to just swipe it. These are just like Visa cards as far as the computer is concerned. I've been checking in with them, and seeing their number on the bills slipped under my door. As long as the balance is higher than the anticipated bill, they'll take them at checkin.
Old Mar 15, 07, 1:18 pm

Programs: NW-Plat,Marriott-Plat,Hilton-Gold,Hertz-Pres Circle
Hi everyone,
just an update.
I received the 28" suitcase on March 13th. ordered my card on Feb28th. so it took around 2 weeks to get the free suitcase. I recieved my card on March 5th.

sp29201
Old Mar 15, 07, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA IK: Marriott Platinum: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by holland View Post
I'd have told her to just swipe it. These are just like Visa cards as far as the computer is concerned. I've been checking in with them, and seeing their number on the bills slipped under my door. As long as the balance is higher than the anticipated bill, they'll take them at checkin.
In all cases should she type a 4 first? I know there was some mention of this earlier in the thread.
Old Mar 15, 07, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sp29201 View Post
Hi everyone,
just an update.
I received the 28" suitcase on March 13th. ordered my card on Feb28th. so it took around 2 weeks to get the free suitcase. I recieved my card on March 5th.

sp29201
What color did you order? I'm still waiting on a red one - going on about 4 weeks now.
Old Mar 15, 07, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by StephanyKR View Post
In all cases should she type a 4 first? I know there was some mention of this earlier in the thread.
Nope. They've just been swiping it at my local CY.
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:13 pm

Ordered 5 on 2/28, all 5 came in today. Pink is as wife called it..."cute" and lime green fits my son (9) very well! I prefer the black ones..but doubt I will ever use it, as it doesnt seem quite big enough!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: