Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

These Samsonite spinner bags that Marriott is giving away....

These Samsonite spinner bags that Marriott is giving away....

Old Mar 8, 07, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall View Post
how long does it take for gift cards to arrive?
Just following up on myself... it took two days for the card to show up in San Francisco via DHL ground. That was fast!
Old Mar 9, 07, 4:25 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
How do the bags arrive? Im hoping NOT DHL! My local DHL has been horrible getting the g/c here!!! Marriott should NEVER use DHL again!

Oh, how many did everyone order? Anyone hit 10? 15? When its over, it will be fun to see who ordered the most!
Old Mar 9, 07, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 View Post
How do the bags arrive? Im hoping NOT DHL! My local DHL has been horrible getting the g/c here!!! Marriott should NEVER use DHL again!

Oh, how many did everyone order? Anyone hit 10? 15? When its over, it will be fun to see who ordered the most!
The bags show up UPS Ground. 10 or 15??! I've got two smalls and a big on the way.
Old Mar 10, 07, 7:36 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
The bags show up UPS Ground. 10 or 15??! I've got two smalls and a big on the way.

I got in a little late...just started with this promo. I spend about $1K-$1200/week...so Im looking at 1-1+bags a week!

My family will all be sportin' new samsonite bags for Christmas I think!

Do you think they would start to pull this promo from me if I order like 10 or so at once? I book all the stays online, so its NOT by the travel agent, and seem to adhere to the t&c's..just dont want to be sitting on $10K that I cant use!
Old Mar 10, 07, 9:14 am

Programs: UA IK: Marriott Platinum: SPG Platinum
I got in a little late...just started with this promo. I spend about $1K-$1200/week...so Im looking at 1-1+bags a week!

My family will all be sportin' new samsonite bags for Christmas I think!

Do you think they would start to pull this promo from me if I order like 10 or so at once? I book all the stays online, so its NOT by the travel agent, and seem to adhere to the t&c's..just dont want to be sitting on $10K that I cant use!
I have spoken to many Marriott and Samsonite reps and they have indicated that there is no limit to the number of bags ordered. According to them it is 'while supplies last'. I too have ordered several (2 large, 2 small + 4 more in a month) as i am in the london and the pount/dollar ratio makes for about a grand a week.
Old Mar 10, 07, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta FO
[QUOTE=PhillyPhlyer40;7374357]How do the bags arrive? Im hoping NOT DHL! My local DHL has been horrible getting the g/c here!!! Marriott should NEVER use DHL again!
QUOTE]

Agree. Except I would direct my irritation at the national rather than just the local DHL. Here's my gift card's journey so far: 3/5--ordered gift card; 3/6--departed origin West Valley City Utah; 3/6--sort facility Salt Lake City; 3/7--sort facility Phoenix Arizona; 3/8--sort facility Salt Lake City. So now it's 3/10 noon, and the card has covered plenty of distance, except that it's back in the state where it started, Utah.

My attempts to get answers from DHL's 800 customer service number have resulted in bupkis. Lies and incompetence: ("our records show the package is in Delaware Ohio"--it was never there; "Sir I can assure you that the package right now is in our center in Southfield Michigan." When I checked with Southfield, the station manager told me it was absolutely not there and never was; but still was in Utah.

Still waiting (The Southfield manager, about an hour ago, absolutely assured me he would call back within half an hour. Haven't heard back from him.)
Old Mar 10, 07, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark View Post
Agree. Except I would direct my irritation at the national rather than just the local DHL. .)

Mine, believe it or not, was worse.....in the sense that they made my wife (who was trying to sign for it, even though it was sent NOT as "signature req.) CRY! My irish tempered wife takes a lot before she gets upset, but the out-and-out LIES, and deceit by DHL is horrible! I really dont know how they have made it as the "third guy" delivering packages.

Glad to hear that it is unlimited, up until supplies run out, as I really want to get some free gifts out of this!

OT, but does anyone know if they always run specials??? (ie the extra points/% off)
Old Mar 10, 07, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OT, but does anyone know if they always run specials??? (ie the extra points/% off)
From what I can tell, Giftcard promos of one sort of another are reasonably common. "Always" is probably a little strong, but if you're spending a grand a week, there will frequently be opportunities for you to either save 10% or add bonus points.
Old Mar 10, 07, 2:47 pm

Here's my gift card's journey so far: 3/5--ordered gift card; 3/6--departed origin West Valley City Utah; 3/6--sort facility Salt Lake City; 3/7--sort facility Phoenix Arizona; 3/8--sort facility Salt Lake City. So now it's 3/10 noon, and the card has covered plenty of distance, except that it's back in the state where it started, Utah.
Followup: In utter frustration over DHL's incompetence, I called the Marriott manager in charge of the gift cards. Even though it's Saturday, she called me back within an hour (much better than DHL). She told me that she had looked into my situation herself with DHL, and after talking to them, she was convinced they had no idea where the package was. She solved my problem by telling me that she would have the gift card re-directed back to Marriott in Salt Lake City, have the card cancelled, and overnight a new card to me at the Renaissance where I'll be staying (and wanted to use the card at). Marriott's response is just what I've come to expect from the company.
Old Mar 10, 07, 3:37 pm

Marriott's response is just what I've come to expect from the company.
I might be making a call to marriott monday to let them know what/how I feel about DHL. They are incompetent and never told me the truth when I spoke with them.

Maybe if enough people complain, Marriott will use a real shipping co!
Old Mar 10, 07, 6:44 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs up Dhl

^ I was very impressed with the prompt delivery by DHL, and the polite service, when the Delivery guy asked for a signature. No problem here! ^ ^
Old Mar 10, 07, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by R&R View Post
^ I was very impressed with the prompt delivery by DHL, and the polite service, when the Delivery guy asked for a signature. No problem here! ^ ^
Just so you know, the problem is not with the delivery person and his/her politeness, or with the probability that DHL, like other delivery companies, usually get it right. The problem is that when something goes wrong, they have no clue and, consequently neither does the shipper or the recipient. This is my personal experience and this was confirmed to me by the Marriott person.
Old Mar 11, 07, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

I don't quite understand why they are using DHL. Seems like an odd choice for a domestic-U.S. shipping service. I would assume that SLC is no different than any other U.S. city I've lived or worked in: USPS, UPS, and FedEx are ubiquitous. DHL is not. They must be getting a sweet deal from them as their primary shipper.

The difference for me isn't too bad: I'm 5-10 minutes away from the UPS and FedEx pickup locations and maybe 15 from DHL. Of course, on one of the DHL shipments, I got lucky - the driver had me at the end of his route (6PM), so I received the giftcard at home.
Old Mar 12, 07, 9:36 am

Programs: Former DL Plat - 1 MM, CO Infinite Plat, MRT PLT
Has anyone ever lost one of these cards? I'd never think of carrying $1000 or $2000 in cash around with me and Marriott says they cannot be replaced. Seems like a like of risk for a mediocre suitcase.
Old Mar 12, 07, 9:53 am

Programs: NW-Plat,Marriott-Plat,Hilton-Gold,Hertz-Pres Circle
Checking balance on the gift card

Are you guys checking the balance on the card after receiving it. I got the card but when i check the balance on http://gifts.marriott.com/ , it says the card is not activated so i called the toll free and some one activated it and i could see the balance and even used it once at a marriott. But today, it gives me a different message even. I am getting the same message for all the cards.

An error was encountered.
An error occurred on the remote WildCard server while trying to verify the card has not already been loaded. [Forbidden]

The GiftCard number you entered may be invalid or unactivated. Please correct the number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call a Marriott GiftCard agent at 1-800-442-6132.

Are you getting the same message?
thanks,
sp29201

Search this Thread
Search Engine: