Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

These Samsonite spinner bags that Marriott is giving away....

These Samsonite spinner bags that Marriott is giving away....

Old Feb 26, 07, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
The problem isn't fixed yet...or maybe a new one. I now need to make a phone call.

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/process.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.
Old Feb 26, 07, 9:12 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
OK, as a giftcard virgin...I have a stupid question...and I did try and search before I get told to try the search!

Do giftcards give you points when you buy them, or when you check out of the stay? Are they the regular points that I would get for paying via amex on checkout?
Old Feb 26, 07, 9:21 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
If you use a Marriott branded CC to purchase the giftcard, you will get the higher number of points based off a Marriott purchase (i.e. the Premier Card will get you 5 points/$ spent.) When you use the card to pay for a Marriott stay, you will get the normal points as if you paid with any CC or even cash (i.e. 10 points/$ plus elite bonus for stay at a FS Marriott.)

So the net out is pretty much just like paying for a stay with your Marriott CC. The benefit is if they have a giftcard promo that gets you something "extra" when you order the giftcard. Right now you can get some luggage with a $1K or $2K giftcard purchase.
Old Mar 1, 07, 8:01 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Okay, has anyone had the bag and vacation card shipped to different addresses? (Specifically - the card shipped to a hotel and the bag shipped to the credit card billing address.)
Anyone done this? Im in the same boat...have $1200 spend next week M-W and the card I ordered is expected to arrive on TUESDAY. If I order an express one, it wont be here until Tuesday either...but if I order it express to the hotel im at....hmmm...maybe that will work.

But dont want my sisters wedding gift (luggage) to arrive at the hotel 1000 miles from my house!
Old Mar 1, 07, 8:08 am

One last question...If im spending about $1000+ a week..can I order as many as I want...I didnt see anywhere that stated I couldnt get like 15 of these!

Guess im just gonna take the chance and start ordering one a day! My DHL guy will love me!
Old Mar 4, 07, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA IK: Marriott Platinum: SPG Platinum
Has anyone tried to have these suitcases shipped overseas? I am staying in the UK and would love to take advantage. It stated in the Terms that the cards and the suitcases must be shipped to the same address and that only shipping to the US is free. I went all the way through the ordering process with my UK address and it never stated the price for shipping to the UK.

Is there a way to contact Marriott directly to make an exception to the same address rule to have the cards shipped to me at the Marriott and the case shipped to my home in the US?

Thanks

Last edited by StephanyKR; Mar 27, 07 at 10:51 am
Old Mar 5, 07, 12:39 pm

how long does it take for gift cards to arrive? I have a $1000+ stay coming up at a resort for next week (with conference rates) and would sure love to combine this with my upcoming bill.

(and also wondering how I'd explain the "gift card redeemed" line to my office expense manager)
Old Mar 5, 07, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall View Post
how long does it take for gift cards to arrive? I have a $1000+ stay coming up at a resort for next week (with conference rates) and would sure love to combine this with my upcoming bill.
You can elect to have the gift card sent overnight via DHL. If you elect Ground delivery, it will vary depending on how far away from Utah you are. I spoke to a lady there who said Internet orders before noon Mountain Time make it into that day's delivery. So if you buy right now, it probably goes out tomorrow. It's about two business days to get it to Kansas. Maybe 3 but no more than that. If your mailing address is in SF, you're probably fine with ground delivery - with a couple days to spare.

(and also wondering how I'd explain the "gift card redeemed" line to my office expense manager)
The system sees the Gift Card just like any other Visa. I just looked at my folio from last week: the payment line says "CCARD-VS" and the amount. All of the charge line items (room rate, incidentals, taxes, etc.) are unaffected.

If you are still a bit worried about a "funky" looking line item, the backup solution is simple: present your regular business credit card at check-in, save the folio they slip under your door prior to your departure, and then present the Gift Card at check-out for payment.
Old Mar 5, 07, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall View Post

At checkout ask for two receipts,one showing the total amount of charges then a zero balance due-submit this one for expenses.It worked fine for me and it was not a problem at the hotel.

The cards were at my home in less than a week after ordering.
Old Mar 8, 07, 3:17 am

Programs: UA IK: Marriott Platinum: SPG Platinum
Wink Shipping to the UK and Colors?

Regarding the overseas shipping, I ordered my cards on Tuesday night and they already arrived today (Thurday) via DHL Thats without express delivery, AND to London...pretty impressive

Samsonite won't ship the bags outside the US so you could have the cards shipped overseas and call samsonite to change the suitcase address to one in the US. I haven't gotten word that the suitcases have arrived but I live in Denver so I'm sure it will be quick.

Has any one tried to redeem these in the UK (or anywhere outside the US)?Given the organization of some of the UK Marriott I've stayed at I'm nervous that they wont take them. ( or know how to take them)

Has anyone ordered any of the other colors? The pink looks pretty tame on Marriott's site but there was one on ebay that looks shockingly bright. The red also looks pretty dull on the site but reading the posts here it sounds like it is like fire engine red.

Marriott told me that you can order as many of these as you'd like but the suitcases are as supplies last so it looks like my family is going to get a whole new fleet of suitcase
Old Mar 8, 07, 6:34 am

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
I had no problems at all (other than figuring out the amount on the card converted to pounds) using them at the Ren. CC in early January of this year. As far as the hotel is concerned, they are really nothing more than a prepaid CC. So any hotel that takes CCs (which should be every one of them) should be able to handle the giftcards.
Old Mar 8, 07, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
March 5th update: Samsonite is swamped with orders from this promotion, and they're running about 20 days behind on the 28" bags. I called 'em yesterday about my latest one - everybody was helpful and friendly, but very busy servicing this promo. Just a heads-up for anyone with an immediate need for the bag. (My smaller bags showed up more quickly. It's specifically the 28" one that has taken a long time.)
Old Mar 8, 07, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
March 5th update: Samsonite is swamped with orders from this promotion, and they're running about 20 days behind on the 28" bags.
Thanks for the update... I just sent an email inquiry for my order placed 3 weeks ago, then saw your update.
Old Mar 8, 07, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
Too bad for the delay. I just placed an order on Saturday and was hoping to get the suitcase this week to see if I like the size as I have a family vacation on the 22nd and may have purchased another one as well. Hopefully I'll receive this one before we depart. Luckily I live only 20 miles from Samsonite in Denver, so it will only take one day to receive when it does ship. When I received the 20" bag, it took less than three days to get from date of order, but then again, I'm sure demand wasn't that high for the small red bags .
Old Mar 8, 07, 9:11 am

Thanks pinniped for the update. I also was getting ready to call and find out what is taking so long.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: