Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

These Samsonite spinner bags that Marriott is giving away....

These Samsonite spinner bags that Marriott is giving away....

Old Feb 9, 07, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Pinniped, you are going to help Samsonite clear out their excess inventory by yourself.

I will wait for the discounted gift cards.
Old Feb 10, 07, 4:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Originally Posted by R&R View Post
I think the Large case is a good value, but an not so sure about the Small case. The 19" has the Retractable handle run right through the bottom portion about 2 inches into the packing area. It takes up a lot of packing room and stickes out sufficiently to make packing anything flat impossible. The loose fabric liner conveniently hides this until you began packing. It is difficult to pack much between the two sides of the handle bars that run the length of the case. It would have been better sense to have mounted the long retractable pull handle on the back outside the the packing area.

Even the size in comparison to the larger case does not look like a great value. I consider it poor design, and would have passed on it, if I had known about the room the handle took up in the interior. Even with the 2" expandsion unzipped, it doesn't look like the room found in the old TravelPro Rollons, which has to be one of the easiest to pack.

So if you had to do it over...you would save to get the 28"
Old Feb 13, 07, 4:13 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs up Got the 28" also

Didn't bother to save, since it went on the credit card, which will be paid in full, when due.

The 28" does not have the Pull Handle invading the packing area as much as the 20".

My old 3 and 4 suiter Halliburton Aluminum cases have the most room of any any luggage, a lot easier to pack, but not as easy on the wheels. No wasted space in those boxlike cases! Hard to beat! :-: :-: :-:
Old Feb 13, 07, 4:22 pm

Programs: DELTA SM, HILTON GOLD, SPG GOLD
You have to buy at least $1000. Right?
Old Feb 13, 07, 4:31 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by firstflyer View Post
You have to buy at least $1000. Right?
$1,000 for the 20" bag and $2,000 for the 28" bag.
Old Feb 13, 07, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Make sure you click on the right offer: don't just select a generic Giftcard and type in $1000. There are specific products listed - $1000 and $2000 cards with the corresponding bag.
Old Feb 13, 07, 8:58 pm

Programs: CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BigYellowDog View Post
I believe that is correct, but it they don't always know that. Also, if the card number does not start with a 4, I believe they have to enter a 4 before swiping so the system thinks it's a Visa.
I must say, Marriott's use of gift cards seems to be the most inefficient I have ever seen. I'm still using mine, but each time I do, they ask me how much is on the card and that they can't process without knowing the exact amount. Huh? Why can't you just swipe the thing and tell me balance like everyone else does? Why do I have to call the number on the back to get the balance (I write it down now) to give to the rep?

And yes, they do appear as Visa charges.
Old Feb 13, 07, 9:07 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
I wondered that too. I last used one at the Ren CC and didn't know the exact amount either. But at least they were willing to try a couple of amounts until they zeroed into the actual amount. Didn't take long as I knew fairly closely how much was on the card. But I agree, it would be nice if they could just swipe the card, grab all that is left.

Of course, I'm not a gift card expert, so I don't know all the financial requirements around them.
Old Feb 13, 07, 9:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
It is quite silly indeed. I've never seen a place (before Marriott) where you can't swipe the card and simply check the balance or tender an amount up to the balance. However, to prevent issues, I check my balance online the night before checkout and write it in the envelope sent with the card. Since I'm usually online before I go to bed, it's a very small inconvenience to prevent a larger inconvenience at checkout.

I guess we could add thise to the pet peeve thread.
Old Feb 14, 07, 11:35 am

Programs: Former DL Plat - 1 MM, CO Infinite Plat, MRT PLT
Do I understand that you have to make a seperate stop at the front desk when checking out to use these cards?
Old Feb 14, 07, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dhilpert View Post
Do I understand that you have to make a seperate stop at the front desk when checking out to use these cards?
I drained my card with two purchases. On Stay #1, I didn't have to do anything: the folio under debited the Gift Card correctly. Probably because I handed it to them at checkin and told them its value was $1000. They swiped it and the rest was automatic...

Stay #2 was the above experience... I had to deal with it at checkout. They asked me "How much is on this?" I said "About $208 and change." I remembered that my first stay was $791 and change. I figured they'd pull up an exact amount without any trouble, but they couldn't. So they just credited by folio 209.00 and processed the rest on my Marriott card. It was strange that it wasn't more automated... I assume they can and do check the balance of cards at some point.
Old Feb 14, 07, 2:26 pm

I don't know what happens if they simply try to pay off more than what is on the card. I understand it probably prompts for the payment amount, but if you pay the full bill and the card does not have a large enough balance, what happens? Does it pay the full bill and clear the card? Does it get declined? or does it pay up to the amount on the card and then leave a remaining balance?

I assume it gets declined as I've never accidently short paid my bill, and if it would automatically adjust payment to the amount on the card, there wouldn't be a need to know the amount on the card up front. Although maybe if they would try to pay the full amount, they will be pleasantly suprised that they don't need to know the amount on the card.
Old Feb 14, 07, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
I'd assume it is declined as well. The person checking me out, added a couple of dollars to what I thought the amount was and it wouldn't go through. She had to try a couple of times stepping the amount down until she found the largest whole number that went through.
Old Feb 14, 07, 3:55 pm

account cycles?

I saw a lot of posts talking about account cycles and getting a new card; is there a limit to how many of these you can buy in a single account cycle or something? I couldn't find any mention of that in the T&C's and was planning to buy a few of these.
Old Feb 14, 07, 9:05 pm

Account cycle is referring to the billing cycle of your credit card. If you buy the vacation card on the first day of the billing cycle, you get the full days of the billing cycle plus the full days of the grace period before you have to pay off your credit card. That is almost two months in most cases, which is enough for many of us to redeem the gift cards in full and get reimbursement for business expenses.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: