Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

These Samsonite spinner bags that Marriott is giving away....

These Samsonite spinner bags that Marriott is giving away....

Old Jan 26, 07, 8:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
No problem yet. I ran into a problem with BBs at one time using a rate that was not even a corporate rate, but personal rate. However, no issue using vacation cards yet. Sometimes the clerks have trouble processing them since they don't do them often, but no questions about whether they are applicable or not.
Old Jan 27, 07, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BigYellowDog View Post
Sometimes the clerks have trouble processing them since they don't do them often, but no questions about whether they are applicable or not.
That's interesting: I thought they could just swipe 'em and process it as a credit (or debit) card. In fact, during one of the Megabonus threads, someone indicated that they processing was done through Visa, which was good for the Megabonus.
Old Jan 27, 07, 5:26 pm

I believe that is correct, but it they don't always know that. Also, if the card number does not start with a 4, I believe they have to enter a 4 before swiping so the system thinks it's a Visa.
Old Jan 27, 07, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BigYellowDog View Post
I believe that is correct, but it they don't always know that. Also, if the card number does not start with a 4, I believe they have to enter a 4 before swiping so the system thinks it's a Visa.
Cool - thanks for the heads-up. My wife has my $1000 card right now - using it this weekend for a girls' weekend in Orlando. Hopefully at the big properties in Orlando (this one is Cypress Harbor - a huge complex), they've seen gift cards. I'll finish off the residual next week in Seattle at a property that doesn't know how to process anything, so I'll probably have to explain the '4' part to them.
Old Jan 29, 07, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Weird. Wonder if they had problems with the big bags.

Get ready: that puppy is going to be so big and red it might be difficult to look directly at it without protective eyewear.
Just a quick update and sorry it was a slow update. I received an email about an hour later from the lady at samsonite with a tracking number and a appologie for giving me the wrong info. She confused me with another person she was working with. I received mine on friday....and yes it is VERY red but nice.
Thanks

Going to be getting the small one next week. Mine as well get the utra red collection completed!
Old Jan 29, 07, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I love red, but don't stay at Marriott often enough to justify a gift card purchase. Anyone want a quick $50 paypal for a red suitcase? Going on a cruise in 2 weeks, might look snappier than the black case that US Scare ran over last year!!

JudyJFLA
Old Jan 29, 07, 3:18 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Talking HOT RED Roller Case!

I assume you will see them coming down the Luggage Returns. There will be no need for other identifying markers until HOT RED floods the Luggage returns.
It could start a whole new Elite set of Red FreqFlyers!
Old Jan 31, 07, 9:36 pm

I just received my small bag today. pinniped said these bags were really red, but you definitely can't appreciate how red they truly are, until you have one. They are redder than a blushing ladybug.
Old Feb 1, 07, 12:15 am
R&R

Red face Easy to spot!

You will certainly standout in the Boarding line.

Will you be seen in public with it in tow?

Is the 28" considered on a Carryon?

Last edited by R&R; Feb 1, 07 at 12:29 am
Old Feb 1, 07, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by R&R View Post
You will certainly standout in the Boarding line.

Will you be seen in public with it in tow?

Is the 28" considered on a Carryon?
To say the least, you will never need a flare at night if you break down, just take your luggage out of the trunk and put it 20 feet behind the car!! The 28" is not considered a carry on but it is sure to never be left behind on a plane!
Old Feb 1, 07, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage
United lists 9x14x22 as the carryon size, but the smaller spinner is 19.5" x 15.5" x 8.5" (ie, slightly wider than spec.) That wouldn't be a problem at all, would it? This seems like a pretty small bag.
Old Feb 8, 07, 7:47 pm
R&R

Thumbs down Questionable design on 19" Rollon!

I think the Large case is a good value, but an not so sure about the Small case. The 19" has the Retractable handle run right through the bottom portion about 2 inches into the packing area. It takes up a lot of packing room and stickes out sufficiently to make packing anything flat impossible. The loose fabric liner conveniently hides this until you began packing. It is difficult to pack much between the two sides of the handle bars that run the length of the case. It would have been better sense to have mounted the long retractable pull handle on the back outside the the packing area.

Even the size in comparison to the larger case does not look like a great value. I consider it poor design, and would have passed on it, if I had known about the room the handle took up in the interior. Even with the 2" expandsion unzipped, it doesn't look like the room found in the old TravelPro Rollons, which has to be one of the easiest to pack.

Old Feb 9, 07, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Even the size in comparison to the larger case does not look like a great value.
How can FREE luggage not be a great value?!?

If you don't like the bag, eBay it!
Old Feb 9, 07, 2:53 pm
R&R

Thumbs down Not interested in playing the Ebay game!

It is too much of a pain in the butt!

Old Feb 9, 07, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

It is too much of a pain in the butt!

I hear you...I was just suggesting it as an option if you get the free bag and REALLY don't want to use it.

I've decided I'll probably give 'em away. I mean, I'll keep accepting them as long as Marriott wants to send them to me. ^ I'll just hook up family or whatever... (Is it travel-related enough for CC? )

But I think you and I agree on one thing: if/when the $900/$1800 (10% off) cards come back, I'll opt for that deal in a heartbeat.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: