Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marx Syracuse to become Renaissance Syracuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:35 am
Yub
Original Poster

I stayed twice at the Marx Syracuse last week. While checking out after my second stay, the clerk mentioned that the hotel will become a Renaissance in January. The property is now listed on the Marriott website, but it doesn't appear that they are accepting reservations yet.

Link to Syracuse Renaissance
Link to Marx Syracuse Website

It's a very nice property. The rooms are a bit on the smaller side but very nicely decorated -- very similar to some of the newer Westins that I've stayed in recently. The wood finish is a dark tone, and modern lighting fixtures are used. The stainless steel sink is set in a frosted glass counter. The shower is a walk-in style with a fixed clear glass partition on one side, charcoal tile/granite on the walls and floor, and a waterfall showerhead. No bath, at least in the two rooms that I stayed in. Plumbing fixtures are all brushed nickel finish. Aveda bath products are provided.

Even though the Marx is not near the airport, a complimentary hotel shuttle is available between 7AM and 11PM. It's about a 10-15 minute ride. A Century Cab from the airport to the hotel is available for a fixed fee of $24.40. A metered cab returning to the airport is about the same.

Wired high speed internet access is complimentary. Unfortunately, the Marriott website shows that HSIA will be part of the "Wired for Business" option for $9.95.

I booked the stays through Priceline for a bid of $47/night. With taxes and fees, the total was about $60/night. The stays were on Friday and Sunday nights.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Ok, I'll bite. How is this related to NWA? Perhaps the OP posted in a wrong forum?
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:39 am
Yub
Original Poster

Sorry -- wrong forum... Can a mod move this over to the Marriott Forum? Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2006, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'll be moving this to the Marriott forum...

Xyzzy
NW forum moderator
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum, Avis First
Thanks I travel to Syraucse 4 times a year!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:55 pm

Wasn't this previously the Holiday Inn?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:57 am
Yub
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Wasn't this previously the Holiday Inn?
Tripadvisor.com mentions that it was previously a Radisson. I don't know if it was ever a Holiday Inn.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Yub
Tripadvisor.com mentions that it was previously a Radisson. I don't know if it was ever a Holiday Inn.
If it's the cylindrical hotel close by the intersections of I-81 and I-90, yes that was a Holiday Inn.

Many, many years ago that HI was a middle-weekend refuge from the joys of the "barracks" (circa WW II, resembling chicken coops) in what was called back then, Camp Drum, (now Fort Drum), where I spent a half-dozen "summer camps" while in the reserves.
Old May 4, 2007, 9:12 pm

Any recent reviews? They are pet friendly so my pooch is going with me as there's a bonus 2000 points per stay right now. $169 club rate plus $50 for pooch.

http://marriott.com/hotels/specials/...rshaCode=syrbr
Old May 5, 2007, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
I am staying there in June, I am so happy there is a FS hotel in Syracuse
Old May 13, 2007, 5:35 pm

Stayed one night at the Ren Syracuse last week. Outside of building looks old but inside looks better. Nice lobby and welcome. Pet friendly. Room quite small, almost circular. Separate tiny shower room with toilet - so small it was difficult to close the door without stepping into the shower. Early morning the shower head was dripping, a leak from the shower in the room above! The shower ceiling was all water marked and had been that way for some time - just didn't notice when we checked in. Sink in the bedroom area. Parking free and convenient. AC has two positions - off and on. We either froze or sweated. Nice looking corner wall unit for LG 32" WS TV, internet, etc., but I needed maintenance to get it working.

Club Room is a waste of money, but a nice room. Went for hot snacks, there was only 1 guest there but all that was left was a few hot cheese balls and 4 little pieces of sliced cheese. No kidding - that was it. Had a glass of wine, and she charged my room $10 as I found out at checkout. Even peanuts, chips, in short supply. Attendant said they don't usually have many people on the Club floor so they don't go all out like other hotels might. That's for sure. Desserts at 7:30 pm also a joke -- tiny tidbit 'samplers' of 2 items you could buy in their dining room, no bigger than 1 inch in size. Breakfast a little better but the only hot food was scrambled eggs or oatmeal, no bacon, etc. If I go again, I won't waste my money on Concierge.
Old May 13, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
BeantownFlyer Wasn't this previously the Holiday Inn?

This was the Marx Hotel .... private, I went to Syrause U years ago and I remember it ..... I am just glad we now have a FS hotel, tired of that Couryard in Carrier Circle.

Thanks
Old May 13, 2007, 8:54 pm

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
I stayed there last month and really liked it. The decor is unique in that edgy sort of way. You either like it or you dont I guess. I liked it.

Since the building is essentially a cylindrical column, the rooms are a bit wedge shaped and not all that big. But big enough for me.

My shower had a great shower head. It was one of those huge stainless steel heads, about a foot in diameter.

They have free high speed internet. That's an unusual bonus for a Ren.

I think parking was free too.

I thought the Concierge Lounge was fine. Better than many Marriotts. But then as a plat I dont have to pay.

From what I have been told, this building has been a number of things including a Holiday Inn with som odd colors and more recently, the Marx.
Old May 14, 2007, 3:00 pm

Just FYI, this property routinely comes up on Priceline in the $45-60 range. The only other 3* in the main Syracuse zone is the Sheraton, which I never have come up.
Old May 14, 2007, 7:04 pm

That Sherton is right smack on SU Campus .... nice hotel a little dated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.