Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Saw a new sign today in the C-Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold

Spent the night at the DTW Marriott last night and they had a large sign on the desk of the C-Lounge that I have never noticed before. It went something like this.

Please do not hold business meetings in our lounge. Our lounge is for use of all of our guest to relax and enjoy. Thank You

Anybody else ever noticed a sign like this?

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Nov 21, 2006 at 9:29 pm
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Maybe someone in Marriott read this thread:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622574

I never thought of the C-Lounge as a place to conduct meetings. But it does beg the question at what point does a work related discussion with coworkers staying at the same hotel become a "business meeting"
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by psychephylax
Maybe someone in Marriott read this thread:
I was thinking the exact same thing and I know for sure they do read it everyday.

Not sure what a business meeting is either but there were four folks over in the corner working on a presentation this morning. They were not asked to leave.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:37 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Yes, I saw similar signs at the Phoenix Airport Marriott. Actually there were signs on each table saying 1. No business meetings, 2. No cell phone usage, 3. No gym/pool attire. I thought the rules weren't bad, but having them on each of the tables was very annoying - a sign on the concierge's desk would have been much less tacky.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:28 am

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Yes, I saw similar signs at the Phoenix Airport Marriott. Actually there were signs on each table saying 1. No business meetings, 2. No cell phone usage, 3. No gym/pool attire. I thought the rules weren't bad, but having them on each of the tables was very annoying - a sign on the concierge's desk would have been much less tacky.

Wow, that is all that everyone was asking for on this thread, and now their are complaints.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:10 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AvalancheZ71
Wow, that is all that everyone was asking for on this thread, and now their are complaints.
I'm not quite sure that "everyone" was asking for that type of response from Marriott.

I do find it interesting that there is no cell phone usage though. If two persons can sit and talk to each other, what is the difference from one person sitting and talking on a phone? In fact, I've seen and used phones in CLs before, so would they take those out or is talking on a land-based phone OK?

And the no Pool/Gym attire requirement is going to be interesting to see if they really enforce it. I quite often see persons come up to a CL (mostly during the breakfast time) to get some water or juice just after a workout.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I am going to interpret Marriott's saying no business meetings to mean that you should not expect to hold a quiet, confidential meeting in the C-Lounge. Working on a presentation or casually talking to business associates should be fine.

The cell phone prohibition probably exists because many people talk a lot louder on cell phones than to someone else in person or while using a land line phone.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:18 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by hhoope01
If two persons can sit and talk to each other, what is the difference from one person sitting and talking on a phone?
There is a big and noticeable difference to me.

Last edited by schriste; Nov 22, 2006 at 1:05 pm
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I do find it interesting that there is no cell phone usage though. If two persons can sit and talk to each other, what is the difference from one person sitting and talking on a phone? In fact, I've seen and used phones in CLs before, so would they take those out or is talking on a land-based phone OK?
Problem is what I call the "cell-shouters". The same people who shout out their cell phone conversations, generally don't when conversing with others in person or on a land-line phone.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:53 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AvalancheZ71
Everyone was asking for "don't" signs on each of the tables in the CL? I must have missed that thread.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I would just think that those conducting the biz mtg should not expect it to be quiet, to have the TV turned off, that there could be kids around etc.

If you can't get your work in that environment, tough crap, go to your room and finish
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I personally find rugrats and John Maddens blathering much more offensive than 4 folks planning that days stratagy.So if I am ever hushed on my phone-no shouter here-I will tell them to leave me in peace.
In many hotels this is called an exec. lounge-not a living room.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I personally find rugrats and John Maddens blathering much more offensive than 4 folks planning that days stratagy.
I don't think it is so much the noise they make but the length of time they occupy the space in the CL. A lesser side effect would be to make other guests feel awkward if they were listening in on other people's business.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
3. No gym/pool attire.
This means I no longer have to tolerate the sweaty jock wannabe who comes to the CL directly from his morning workout during breakfast.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
got it backwards

I think the point was that the people conducting business shouldn't be upset if there is noise due to others in the CL including the rug rats.

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I personally find rugrats and John Maddens blathering much more offensive than 4 folks planning that days stratagy.So if I am ever hushed on my phone-no shouter here-I will tell them to leave me in peace.
In many hotels this is called an exec. lounge-not a living room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.