Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Problems Getting Negotiated Corporate Rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:46 pm
KC
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A; Marriott Platinum

I'm a Gold Member (though the stay I just ended today is the one that will put me over the top to Plat) who has just started traveling regularly to Woodland Hills, CA. The three weeks I've stayed here so far, I've had no trouble getting the hotel to apply my client's negotiated corporate rate to my reservations.

But... apparently the hotel is very busy the next couple months, so for my next three stays, they will not apply the corporate rate. I've tried both Gold reservations and the sales office at the hotel and get the same answer both times. For one of the weeks I can't even get availabilty (though the sales person did say she'd be able to get me in, just not at the negotiated rate).

Do I have any other recourse? Anywhere else to turn? Is this something I could expect to be more likely to be resolved in my favor once I'm Plat, or will I get the same answer?

What this will do (and I've told Marriott this) is cause me to go down the street to the Hilton, check out that property (which also has a rate negotiated with my client) and test our their elite-level benefits (Hilton has said they will match my status, though I haven't sent in the paperwork yet). Probably won't switch all of my nights over there (I'm deep enough into the MegaBonus promotion that I want to make sure I get that one) but this Marriott, which could have had all my nights, probably 10-12 nights a month for the next year and a half, will lose quite a few of them.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KC
Do I have any other recourse?
Pay the lowest available rate.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 3:51 pm
KC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drtdk
Pay the lowest available rate.
Thanks ever so much for your helpful response.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott/Hilton GM for 20+ years, but not an offical spokeperson
The negotiated rate you are trying to book does not have, what is termed, Last Room Availability (meaning always available). This status of the rate is negotiated with the hotel by the respective company. This is a prop's decision to override the selling strategy of the hotel - not a MRW rep's. It seems that you have talked with the right people thus far at this specific prop already. I can't speak on behalf of this property in your post, but they are busy for a reason (over the course of a couple of months) - and why the Hilton may not be.

Hope this helps out.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA PLT, HH Diamond, SPG PLT, MR PLT, Hertz 5*
The best results I've gotten have been to ask at check-in, or even act suprised that the rate is too high and mention your discount code. Some times they can hook you up. Always good to be friendly with the front desk staff.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:06 pm

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
Yep me to

Originally Posted by jakatz
The best results I've gotten have been to ask at check-in, or even act suprised that the rate is too high and mention your discount code. Some times they can hook you up. Always good to be friendly with the front desk staff.

I tried this texact approach last week. One guy didn't have enough authority and said he would check with manager, and another guy the next day who wasn't the manager made the adjustment.

From $169.00 to $116 at a RI in Irving.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott_Guy
The negotiated rate you are trying to book does not have, what is termed, Last Room Availability (meaning always available). This status of the rate is negotiated with the hotel by the respective company. This is a prop's decision to override the selling strategy of the hotel - not a MRW rep's. It seems that you have talked with the right people thus far at this specific prop already. I can't speak on behalf of this property in your post, but they are busy for a reason (over the course of a couple of months) - and why the Hilton may not be.

Hope this helps out.
This essentially says it all. The only thing that I can add would be to reinforce for the benefit of the OP that there is no linkage between attaining PLAT status, and being able to get a preferential rate. Sure, there are times when a property will extend a discounted rate as a courtesy, but there is no requirement for them to do so.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 8:51 pm
KC
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, folks. I guess I'll have to bounce around with whoever is willing to honor the corporate rate on any given week. Since I've already been told no by the hotel staff, I'm reluctant to take the "show up and act surprised" approach; the staff at this property seems to be fairly "meh" when it comes to providing more than a base level of customer service.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 9:27 pm

I usually book online, and sometimes the hotel that I prefer is booked.

In that case, I'll book the preferred for as many days of the week that I can. (usually Wednesdays are the difficult ones).

I'll book a Mon,Tue at the client rate, and a Thursday at the client rate at the preferred hotel, and book Wed at a nearby property.

When I check in, I ask if they can extend the rate to the Wed night, or if they will put me on the wait list, and let me know by Tuesday noon. It most often works out, and I cancel the other Wed night room right then, but sometimes I do move to the other hotel.

If I know that I will be traveling to a client site on a consistent basis, I will reserve rooms several weeks out. It doesn't cost anything, and removes much worry.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:10 am

I have encountered this situation multiple times in the past. If sweet-talking the front desk doesn't work (and you are submitting expenses to the client) I've had very good luck talking with the client's travel department who negotiated the rate in the first place.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:13 pm
KC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jakatz
This is exactly what I did tonight and it worked. He first said "It's showing as not available since we're sold out." I asked nicely "Is there any way you can override it? I'm going to have some real trouble with my expense report if I can't get that rate." He then consulted his code book tried an override, at first said "Hmm, it's not letting me do it" but eventually got it to work and I got my rate. Major kudos to Jeff at the front desk of the Woodland Hills Marriott. It's hit or miss but I mostly like this hotel and would prefer to stay here and continue to build relationships with the staff rather than jumping ship.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, UA MM 1K, MR Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by KC
... I've had no trouble getting the hotel to apply my client's negotiated corporate rate to my reservations.
Sounds like you are a contractor to your client. The Marriott property I stayed at do not honor the corporate rate if you don't work for the company. The sales manager told me the rate negotiated was for the company's employees, not their contractors. The contractors were given notice that their rate will no longer be honored and were all gone in a week. The hotel was still busy with other paying clients.
Has anyone seen this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.