Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Government Rate and Teachers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2006, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mazzer
The questionaires and information that the GSA sends out to the major hotel chains when determining per-diem lodging allowances for various locations clearly state that the purpose of the governement rate is for travellers on official Govt. travel only. This is GSA policy.
FYI GSA pulls their data from Smith Travel Research & PWC much like the industry does
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Renard
It appears we have our answer. Marriott is indeed generous by going above and beyond.
That answer seems pretty clear. The one remaining question I'd have is if there is fine print that allows individual properties to override this rule with more restrictive rules of their own.

To me, it seems like the system could or should support both: (1) a rate loaded under the generic "GOV" rate that follows the above Marriott rules. Any public servant at any level of government, business or leisure. (2) Property-specific rates loaded under other codes (not GOV) for specific contractual purposes, with whatever restrictions the entity and property deem fit.

I'm guessing that the problem arises when someone books a regular GOV rate, per the above Marriott rules (e.g., leisure OK, city/county employee OK, etc.), and then finds that the property interprets that specific code in a more restrictive manner.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Marriott Internet Customer Care
Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

In order to be eligible for government discount rates, guests must be an active duty member of the military or current employee, of any level of local, county, state, or federal government within the United States. Supporting credentials will be required at the time that the guest checks in to the hotel. The rate is for use for business travel or pleasure (personal) travel.

While Government rates are available for hotels both in the U.S. as well as internationally, the availability of rooms offered at these rates will vary from location to location.

You may check the availability of the rooms offered at government discount rates using the Marriott.com website. For your convenience, the steps to guide you through the online reservation process are listed at the end of this email.

Please make sure to note the following terms and conditions:
- Government employees are limited to one (1) room per stay
- A limited number of rooms are available at the government rate
- Advance reservations are required
- Identification will be required at check-in
- The government rate cannot be used in conjunction with group travel or any other promotional offer

If we can be of further assistance, we invite you to reply to this email.

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Regards,
Desiree Rutten
Marriott Internet Customer Care

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...icial+business
When I worked for the Federal government during 1979-88, Marriott hotels were always my favorite chain (and the favorite of all my traveling coworkers) because (a) they really seemed to welcome government employees as a corporate policy, (b) government rates were almost always available or made available and (c) government employees were permitted to use government rates on their leisure travel. This was quite clear at the time. Many of us asked this question specifically and were always given the same answer. No ambiguity at all. Supposedly this came straight from the top, from the Marriott family itself.

That long (and long ago!) experience with Marriott is why I am still so loyal to them today.

Bruce
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by bdschobel
When I worked for the Federal government during 1979-88, Marriott hotels were always my favorite chain (and the favorite of all my traveling coworkers) because (a) they really seemed to welcome government employees as a corporate policy, (b) government rates were almost always available or made available and (c) government employees were permitted to use government rates on their leisure travel. This was quite clear at the time. Many of us asked this question specifically and were always given the same answer. No ambiguity at all. Supposedly this came straight from the top, from the Marriott family itself.

That long (and long ago!) experience with Marriott is why I am still so loyal to them today.

Bruce
What's changed is that government rates are now not so readily available at Marriott. The second thing that's changed is that Marriott used to explicitly state on its website that the government rate would always be at or below per diem. Now, it's not unusual that the "government rate" is higher than per diem (thus eliminating the property from consideration for most government employees on official business) and the website instead uses the phrase "which are in most cases at or below your US Government per diem."
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
In the good old days, I could call a Marriott hotel (in advance of arrival) and ask that they change my rate to the government rate, and they almost always did. They would simply change the rate in their system. This was partly due to my status, but it was also a policy to accommodate government travelers. No other chain would do that. If the government rate was unavailable, it was just tough luck!

Bruce
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
To me, it seems that posters to this thread have differing opinions as to what constitutes "local" government.

As relayed by ohmark, customer care made it clear that government includes all levels of government (or maybe bureaucracy would be a better term ) in the US.

Local school district boards, in most states, are considered a governmental entity. They have the ability to levy taxes and create rules, regulations, and laws. In some states, the school districts are permitted to have their own police departments, under the control of the school board, which, IMO, further strengthens the argument that a school district and board is a governmental entity.

Public school employees should fall under the category of "local" government.

Most of the government rates I've seen are further restricted to federal/military in the rate rules, so in most cases it is a moot point anyway.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:11 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
The questionaires and information that the GSA sends out to the major hotel chains when determining per-diem lodging allowances for various locations clearly state that the purpose of the governement rate is for travellers on official Govt. travel only. This is GSA policy.
This thread is about MARRIOTT policy. The OP is not a federal employee, and I am not a federal employee. Unless you're claiming that federal law prohibits Marriott from offering the GOV rate to state and local employees for leisure travel (it doesn't), anything the GSA does is irrelevant to the question at hand. Marriott does, in fact, offer the GOV rate to state and local employees for leisure travel, despite numerous protestations to the contrary. This has been true for a long, long time.

You (and others) were simply wrong. Get over it.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
deleted post

Last edited by Renard; Sep 7, 2006 at 10:00 pm
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Whatever GSA says the "purpose" of the government rate is, the federal government's Office of Government Ethics, some twenty years ago, said that federal employees may take advantage of a government rate for leisure travel if the hotel's policy is to make the rate available generally for government employees, regardless of whether they are on business or leisure travel, and if there are no real or apparent conflicts of interest. Here's a link to the OGE memorandum:
http://www.usoge.gov/pages/advisory_...985/85x13.html

Not long ago, the New York State Ethics Commission issued a similar opinion for New York State government employees who may wish to take advantage of government rates for leisure travel. Here's the link:

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/ethc/opinions/05-01.htm
Old May 6, 2019, 10:21 am

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa is offering a special Teacher Appreciation Rate from $149 per night, valid for June and August dates. Book online by using promotion code ZTC or by calling 210 276 2500. JWSanAntonio.com

Valid ID Required at Check In. Rate is available to active school employees with valid ID. This includes and is not limited to principals, counselors, school nurses, support staff, maintenance team, corporate office employees, etc. If valid ID is not present at check-in, rate will be adjusted to best available rate. Limited to 2 rooms per teacher, per night. Rates starting at $149 valid in June and August 2019 only. Blackout Dates Apply. Rate is based on availability. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer or discount. Offer is not applicable to group or convention attendees. Taxes, gratuities, and resort fees are separate charges above the room rate.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:46 am

Mixed results on government rates. I work for a large county government with a fair amount of travel. When I book the government rate, I am generally asked for some form of ID when checking in, which is fine. However, a preferred property that I used to frequent has now started to enforce the government rate for only Federal government or US military with active travel orders (I assume when you travel for the Feds, there is some sort of itinerary that authorizes the travel). In other words, state and local government employees are not allowed to utilize the rate. I am not sure if this is unique to this property or it is a trend.

Last edited by lamphs; May 7, 2019 at 1:54 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
A friend of mine works for a property & mentioned that some gov't employees are using the gov't rate for leisure travel. Fair enough if it's not prohibited. But he said they're seeing people book the gov't rate for multiple rooms (think in town for a softball tournament or a festival or a wedding, for example) under gov't rate & only 1 person has gov't ID. OTOH the MAR system let them book that many rooms; OTOH it's obvious it's not for gov't travel. They've been honoring it since the MAR system let them book it, but the property isn't happy because there are times when the room rates are significantly higher during those timeframes & so they're losing revenue when it's obvious the rooms are not all occupied by gov't employees but the rooms were booked by a gov't employee at the reduced rate.

Cheers.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lamphs
(I assume when you travel for the Feds, there is some sort of itinerary that authorizes the travel).
Not exactly, but still true.

Generally speaking, a federal traveler is required to use his/her travel card for all official travel purposes. Also - travels are usually booked with a government contracted TA, rather than direct booking.

In some cases, things don't always work as they should. In that case, certain paperwork will be generated.

These are the things that a hotel may want to see when a federal traveler use the government rate.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Not exactly, but still true.

Generally speaking, a federal traveler is required to use his/her travel card for all official travel purposes. Also - travels are usually booked with a government contracted TA, rather than direct booking.

In some cases, things don't always work as they should. In that case, certain paperwork will be generated.

These are the things that a hotel may want to see when a federal traveler use the government rate.
I edited my post to mention the enforcement by the property in question is that you must be employed by a Federal entity, on official business. The property does not consider state and local government travel as eligible for the government rate.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no such thing as "the government rate." Rather there is a government rate as defined by the property. The rate terms should say "federal" when they mean "federal" and will say something such as "any government agency" or will specifically say "federal, state, county, or local" when they mean that, If it is hard to figure out from the rate definition, call the property.

Many properties also limit the number of rooms available at their form of a government rate and that rate is set within the allowable reimbursement for the locality. When people book rooms for a voleyball tournament, they are harming somebody who will either have to stay elsewhere or shell out some money of their own. That is why you will sometimes see people here react positively to FD clerks who enforce the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.