Wiki Posts
Search

Government Rate and Teachers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:19 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by socrates
I'm sorry but this is simple not correct
Socrates, are you saying that the government rate is only for government employees or that the government rate is only for government employees on official business. I don't think you mean the latter as my understanding is that Marriott has always extended the government rate to official government employees whether on government or leisure travel, unless stated differently in the particular rate rules.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mazzer
This is plain wrong. The entire point of the Govt rate program is for official travel. Marriott, Hilton, Starwood and other chains have this as their policy. That front desk or hotel staff do always enforce it is the problem. Why should a GS15 who makes $140,000 or more get a discounted room for leisure travel when some who makes only $40,000 does not?

When someone who is not on official travel steals a Govt rate room, it sometimes means that someone who is on official travel cannot get a room at the per-diem rate. In many agencies that means that the traveller on official business must pay the difference.
What does the salary of the person using the rate have to do with it?
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Perhaps I'm off-base here, but if it were an issue as to whether one was traveling on official business or not...wouldn't marriott.com mention it? I'd think so as to prevent those who are govt employees from using it if it were not official business... They don't mention it, so I assume that it is not a requirement.

Personally I've never done personal travel on govt rates (I work for the govt) because I can typically find even cheaper on priceline. If I were so inclined to book a govt rate on marriott.com I would check any restrictions/etc and if it didn't say 'show travel orders' I would just assume that none are required.

I have no problem with them restricting gov't rate to 'official biz only' but please say so if that is the intent. I am sure most would feel the same.

http://marriott.com/specials/govtmil...&promotion=GOV

Military Discounts
Military Hotel Discounts and Government Hotel Discounts
We're honored to welcome government and military personnel as our special guests. Whether you're traveling across the country or around the world, most of our 2,700 Marriott hotels offer military hotel discounts and government hotel discounts - which are in most cases at or below your US Government per diem.
Marriott's government and military hotel discounts are offered to:

• All federal, state, county and local government employees
• All active military personnel
Book now—it’s fast and easy!
Use the search box on the left to enter your destination and travel dates.

Remember to present your government or military ID, or government-issued charge card at check-in.

Marriott brands offering special military hotel discounts and government hotel discounts include:

• Marriott Hotels & Resorts
• JW Marriott
• Courtyard by Marriott
• Residence Inn by Marriott
• Fairfield Inn by Marriott
• SpringHill Suites by Marriott
• TownePlace Suites by Marriott
• Renaissance Hotels & Resorts
• The Ritz-Carlton
Terms & Conditions
Rates at individual Marriott hotels are subject to availability.

Last edited by Renard; Sep 5, 2006 at 8:41 pm
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bankingconsultant
My father was a principal as well, but he does have his principles -- like if it's not something to which you're entitled, you don't take it. .
Well, good for him. Although after reading your post several times, I have no idea what you are getting at.
My point, and I stand by it, is that a public school teacher has a reasonable expectation that he/she qualifies for the government rate, unless the rate rules includes some exclusionary language.

IMO, it's neither a reasonable error nor an action taken in good faith if you have to go out of your way to check the "government rate" box.
What? Truly, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ohmark
Socrates, are you saying that the government rate is only for government employees or that the government rate is only for government employees on official business. I don't think you mean the latter as my understanding is that Marriott has always extended the government rate to official government employees whether on government or leisure travel, unless stated differently in the particular rate rules.
The official policy is you must be on official business, but in the real world how many government travs actually carry "travel orders"....
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:31 am

The official policy is you must be on official business, but in the real world how many government travs actually carry "travel orders"....
Okay. But then why do some Marriott "government rate" rules specify that you must be on "official business", while others simply state you must produce government I.D. upon checkin, but say nothing about official business? A few Marriott properties even have two government rates, one for official business and a second for leisure stays.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:36 am

The answers from Marriott customer care

As to the issue of whether goverment rates can be used by government employees on leisure travel, the answer is "yes".

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

In order to be eligible for government discount rates, guests must be an active duty member of the military or current employee, of any level of local, county, state, or federal government within the United States. Supporting credentials will be required at the time that the guest checks in to the hotel. The rate is for use for business travel or pleasure (personal) travel.

While Government rates are available for hotels both in the U.S. as well as internationally, the availability of rooms offered at these rates will vary from location to location.

You may check the availability of the rooms offered at government discount rates using the Marriott.com website. For your convenience, the steps to guide you through the online reservation process are listed at the end of this email.

Please make sure to note the following terms and conditions:
- Government employees are limited to one (1) room per stay
- A limited number of rooms are available at the government rate
- Advance reservations are required
- Identification will be required at check-in
- The government rate cannot be used in conjunction with group travel or any other promotional offer

If we can be of further assistance, we invite you to reply to this email.

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Regards,
Desiree Rutten
Marriott Internet Customer Care

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...icial+business
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:01 am

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)

99% of the time...Unless on VOCO orders.

Though in practice only times I've ever had to produce them is Thayer hotel (non Marriott) at West Point and Dollar Rental car in Tucson. Usually ID is good enough on the rare occassions when asked.

Unless the rate rules specifically state otherwise - most military people I know will use it on leasure travel. Use it almost as one would any other corporate/group rate.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ackpfft
99% of the time...Unless on VOCO orders.
I assume you're saying this is true for the military. Not true for federal government workers.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by clarkef
Well, good for him. Although after reading your post several times, I have no idea what you are getting at.
My point, and I stand by it, is that a public school teacher has a reasonable expectation that he/she qualifies for the government rate, unless the rate rules includes some exclusionary language.
Whoa, the tone got nasty kind of quickly. You obviously noticed my pun on your original misuse of the word "principle" when you meant "principal," since you saw fit to go back and edit it.

My point is that in Ohio, my father was employed by the local board of education, as I believe is the case in California as well, and to call him an employee of a local government is a tenuous stretch to me. It's just a difference of opinion -- you feel that it's reasonable to assume he's entitled to a government rate, and I don't. Even when we lived in NC and my wife was employed by the state to teach 4th grade, we wouldn't have used the "government" rate. We just disagree on this one -- and that's ok.

If a property balked I would ask them to honor the rate as a one time exception as the error was reasonable and in good faith.
The fact that you would ask for a "one time exception" if he was challenged and your use of the term "error" to describe the use of the GOV rate leads me to believe that you don't really think it's 100% kosher yourself.

What? Truly, I have no idea what you are talking about.
If you book online, you need to "check the box" to get the government/military rate. That's all I meant.

Hope you have a better day today.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
Originally Posted by Marriott Internet Customer Care via ohmark
The rate is for use for business travel or pleasure (personal) travel.
Thank you.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Big Mo
Unsupported statements about Marriott's policies are not persuasive, particularly when they fly in the face of actual evidence that many Marriott properties regularly encourage government employees who are not traveling on official business to book the GOV rate. Marriott has every right to deny the GOV rate to unofficial travel across the board but instead has decided to leave it up to individual properties. If this were not true, Marriott's general policy statements would be different, and the various "rate rules" described in this thread would not exist.

What Hilton, Starwood, etc. choose to do is not relevant to this discussion but, FWIW, my co-workers regularly receive offers from various hotel chains offering them special rates on leisure travel as a courtesy to anyone attached to any form of public service.
The questionaires and information that the GSA sends out to the major hotel chains when determining per-diem lodging allowances for various locations clearly state that the purpose of the governement rate is for travellers on official Govt. travel only. This is GSA policy.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by ohmark
As to the issue of whether goverment rates can be used by government employees on leisure travel, the answer is "yes".

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

In order to be eligible for government discount rates, guests must be an active duty member of the military or current employee, of any level of local, county, state, or federal government within the United States. Supporting credentials will be required at the time that the guest checks in to the hotel. The rate is for use for business travel or pleasure (personal) travel.

While Government rates are available for hotels both in the U.S. as well as internationally, the availability of rooms offered at these rates will vary from location to location.

You may check the availability of the rooms offered at government discount rates using the Marriott.com website. For your convenience, the steps to guide you through the online reservation process are listed at the end of this email.

Please make sure to note the following terms and conditions:
- Government employees are limited to one (1) room per stay
- A limited number of rooms are available at the government rate
- Advance reservations are required
- Identification will be required at check-in
- The government rate cannot be used in conjunction with group travel or any other promotional offer

If we can be of further assistance, we invite you to reply to this email.

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Regards,
Desiree Rutten
Marriott Internet Customer Care

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...icial+business
It appears we have our answer. Marriott is indeed generous by going above and beyond.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by mazzer
The questionaires and information that the GSA sends out to the major hotel chains when determining per-diem lodging allowances for various locations clearly state that the purpose of the governement rate is for travellers on official Govt. travel only. This is GSA policy.
I think you are probably wrong. You cite no specific government regulation or rule to back up your position. The closest analogous rule I can find has to do with the federal government's official "Fedrooms" program which mandates that participating hotels provide rooms to government travelers on official business at no higher than the local federal per diem. However, GSA also explicitly states as follows:

"Contractors to the federal government and military, retired civilian and retired military employees, and current civilian and military employees on personal leave are only eligible for FedRooms rates if the participating hotel approves. FedRooms hotels are allowed to make a case-by-case decision on whether or not to offer FedRooms rates and rooms to the above group of travelers."

http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/con...e=GSA_OVERVIEW

Hence, by clear analogy, any Marriott property that wants to offer government rates to government employees traveling for leisure is entitled to do just that. From my posting above, Marriott has stated that it is Marriott's policy to allow the government rate for government employees on official or leisure travel.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Whoa, the tone got nasty kind of quickly. You obviously noticed my pun on your original misuse of the word "principle" when you meant "principal," since you saw fit to go back and edit it. .
I didn't mean for the tone to be nasty. It was intended as amusement and bewilderment.

My point is that in Ohio, my father was employed by the local board of education, as I believe is the case in California as well, and to call him an employee of a local government is a tenuous stretch to me. It's just a difference of opinion -- you feel that it's reasonable to assume he's entitled to a government rate, and I don't. Even when we lived in NC and my wife was employed by the state to teach 4th grade, we wouldn't have used the "government" rate. We just disagree on this one -- and that's ok.
The reasoning and logic continues to escape me. If your wife is employed by the government, and is traveling on government business, why wouldn't she use the government rate. It seems tailor made for her circumstances.

As far as whether your father was an employee of a local government or not is a purely factual question which can be resolved with 100 percent certainty one way or the other. The easiest way would be to see who operates his retirement.

In California, public school teachers are employed by the local school district and are indisputably government workers. They receive the benefits of being government workers including membership in the government employees credit union and participation the the public employees retirement system.

The fact that you would ask for a "one time exception" if he was challenged and your use of the term "error" to describe the use of the GOV rate leads me to believe that you don't really think it's 100% kosher yourself. .
On the contrary. I believe it is 110% Kosher, Halal, and Sanctified. I would have been stunned if a front desk clerk suggested that a public school teacher is not a government employee and would have argued the point on behalf of my parents. However, if the clerk is being obstinant, asking for a one time exception is a practical and kind way of ending a stalement and letting the clerk save face without embaressing the clerk by calling for his/her manager.

We do however agree that people should not book rates that they are not entitled to. If you have any hesitation about your eligibility, you should contact the hotel directly or the 800 number to resolve this issue before arrival. In my own case, my alma mater has great rates at both the local Ritz Carlton and Westin. I called both hotels and they informed me that merely being an alum was sufficient to take advantage of the collegiate rate.

Last edited by clarkef; Sep 6, 2006 at 11:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.