Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Breadsall Priory Hotel, Derby or Marriott St. Pierre Hotel,Wales

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
I was hoping that I could get some inside info on the 2 properties: Breadsall Priory Hotel, Derby or Marriott St. Pierre Hotel, Wales. I am planning a surprise weekend away for my 72 yr old mothers birthday & her friends at one or the other. Quality of rooms is important (room numbers & locations you would recommend if possible as well as those to avoid), local sights for the voyeur as I am not sure many will participate , general service levels & experience with platinum upgrades. I would appreciate any information / advice you could provide (& yes, I promise I did a search 1st). Thank you, Sarah :-:
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:40 pm
Community Director Emerita

Hi violetdog. Read this post for an extensive review on the Priory, Derby. It's just been posted tonight.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:05 pm

I have never received worse service at any Marriott (or any other hotel) as I received at the Breadsall Priory. I'm a Platinum member, arrived at the property in early afternoon, and was given a "non-smoking," room that reeked of smoke, with a view of an alley containing the fire escape and loading docks. When I asked for a different room, the front desk called me an "Ugly American." That is also the only time I've walked out of a Marriott. I would strongly urge you to choose a different hotel.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both - SCARY But due to time constraints (it is for this Monday) it is too late for me to rearrange the group from Breadsall........ I'll be crossing my fingers between now & then & post a full report at the end of the trip. I have called & requested rooms in the Priory as opposed to the out buildings (let me know if this was a mistake) & i'll get there early so i can warn the Priory of my high expectations. No a/c, limited internet, stairs & latent smoke smells are part of the parcel in rural England so this won't phase me - but room comfort, quality of food & service excellence are non-negotiable in my book...... I'll let you know how it goes - say a prayer for me that my mums surprise B-Day trip doesn't become a shocker! And thank you both very much :-:
Old Aug 3, 2006, 6:56 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
See if you can get a room on the 1st floor of the "Mews". This is a small 2-story building off to the side near the car park. I doubt if they will give you one (I'm MR Gold and only got it when I payed extra for it), but it would mean no stairs and be a lot easier on your mum.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your comments. I hope that you will be pleasantly surprised by my review I should start by confessing that i am a little particular - i like things to be just right, so on booking, which i did directly with the hotel, i was clear on the fact that i really wanted as lovely a rooms as possible. I did not try to go for the cheapest but simply said that i wanted my mum to feel as if she were a princess. The front desk all gave their 2 cents & decided upon 3 suites in the main building. Prior to our arrival i called to check on the rooms & Vanessa verified we had 3 suites overlooking the fountain - room 306 (a four poster room) room 308 (with a beautiful bay window - my very fav of the 3) & room 303 (with a sitting room). The check in was a brease & the rooms were as lovely as promised. They were 130 pounds a night & i used a 100 premium pounds against each room & so for 2 nights each, the 3 rooms totalled 480 pounds ($850) & they were great value for money in my opinion. Re the lack of elevator - it is a Priory built in 1210 & it would be a crime to put one in! There was no ac but their rarely is in rural England & the buildings were built so that an open window can cool the entire room. It was 90 degrees outside & the room was perfect temp-wise as long as the windows were cracked. The building itself is charming & the grounds breathtaking. We played golf (a golfers paradise!), used the driving range & had multiple Clarins spa treatments (cheap!!!!! $60 for an hour, $80 for 90mins). We ate in the restaurant & as all English hotel restaurants it was pricey (the exchange rate really hurt!!!). The service was "passionless English" but the food presentation excellent, the food quality good (i am a Director for a restaurant Co in the US) & the wine selection decent but again pricey. There was wireless on the groundfloor of the priory & we were able to use it from our rooms (3 floors up but above the lobby) with no problems for 15 pounds a day. I really was impressed with the care of the staff & everyone was kind & helpful. The common areas could do with some new antiques & the comment above on the lack of door closers was a valid one but apart from these two points the Breadsall Priory exceeded my expectations & i will plan my next trip with excitement ^ This really is a lovely property & with just a little attention from Marriott could be a spectacular one!!!!!
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:23 am
Community Director Emerita

violetdog, what a great report. I'm glad that this worked out so nicely for your mother. Thank you for the room numbers; that's helpful information for any of us who might try this hotel.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriot Rewards PP
Breadsall Priory great if you like quaint

Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Moor Road Morley Nr Derby Derby, GB DE7 6DL

Breadsall Priory great if you like quaint (3 Photos)

Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club

IMG_20160911_031759581.jpgIMG_20160911_031826761.jpgIMG_20160911_033017268.jpg

I have stayed here several times in the past year. I read some reviews from about 10 years ago and I think many of the complaints have been addressed. The Wi-Fi now works quite well and is, of course, free for platinum members. There is no executive or concierge lounge so plats get a free breakfast in the main restaurant. They serve a full English service starting at 6:30 am. 

This is an OLD property. Don't go there if you have mobility problems or you object to using some stairs. There are no elevators. It can be confusing to find your room, it really is a maze of steps and hallways. Whenever a new section was added no effort was made to align the floor levels to previous sections. The outer doors frequently don't lock or even close tightly but on the other hand it's in the middle of nowhere so who cares.

The food is good but the menu is very small, plan on eating elsewhere.

It's a great place for a golf holiday, the courses are top notch.

The property is surrounded by the local public access hiking trails and I have used them often to get some exercise.

Previous complaints of rudeness seem to have been fixed. I find the staff to be very helpful and polite.

In the pub, next to the golf course, you will rub elbows with the locals but they will go home shortly after the sun goes down and can't golf anymore.

The biggest issue with staying here is that it is way out of town from Derby and is a 15 GBP taxi ride from the city center. You will want to go somewhere else for dinner after 1 or 2 nights.

Breadsall Priory great if you like quaint

Would you like to write a review on the Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the review; much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Deleted

Last edited by Johnny Rocket; Feb 22, 2019 at 5:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.