Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Experience with Marriott Vacation Club offers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Anyone have experiences with the offers from Marriott Vacation Club? They seem to be a great value for 3-4 nights at ~$299. The properties seem nice. Any opinions on these? I'd like to know if the "presentation" is only 1-2 hour as they mention and how much of a hassling you get. Is it sort of like check-in as you'd at a hotel, go do the presentation, and then you just enjoy the rest of the stay? Or is there papers to sign and lots of other hassles?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 1:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ajk2n123
Anyone have experiences with the offers from Marriott Vacation Club? They seem to be a great value for 3-4 nights at ~$299. The properties seem nice. Any opinions on these? I'd like to know if the "presentation" is only 1-2 hour as they mention and how much of a hassling you get. Is it sort of like check-in as you'd at a hotel, go do the presentation, and then you just enjoy the rest of the stay? Or is there papers to sign and lots of other hassles?

I own several MCVI units so I've been through the presentations. The targeted offers to stay at the properties are very attractively priced as they truly want you to experience the various amenities at the resort.
I find the Marriott presentations to be very professional and not high-pressure as you'd see at other timeshare operations. And, trust me, I've been through my share of obnoxious ones. Marriott lets their properties speak for themselves as they offer a good product IMHO.
On your 3 or 4 night stay you check in just as you would at a hotel and then you're generally contacted the next day to set up the presentation at your convenience.
This procedure may change somewhat from location to location but this has been my experience on the few I've attended.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:15 pm

Programs: BA, DL, AA, MR, SPG
The MVCI previews can be a great way to get an inexpensive trip at a nice location. Just a few comments to add (YMMV, but this was my experience):

1. To accept the offer requires some form of deposit. The balance is payable when the stay is confirmed. For example, you would pay $99 deposit, $200 at booking.

2. You need to be flexible with the dates. In some cases, the offers are only during the week or with a mid-week check-in. I gave a choice of several dates I wanted and ended up with a three-day weekend about 4 months away (still a prime summer month though).

3. Often the deal is for a studio lockoff portion, so no full kitchen or separate bedroom (just like a big hotel room). Probably good enough for a 3-4 night stay though. I was lucky enough to get a full 1 bedroom unit on my preview, so it might depend on availability.

4. I believe you have to schedule the preview appointment when your booking is confirmed. There are usually certain times of the day they do appointments (like 9, 11, 1 and 3). If you do not show up, I think Marriott has in the fine print that you'll be charged the full rack rate for the stay.

5. The presentation is generally low pressure, one of the lowest in the business. If you know for absolute certain you won't buy, just stick to that and get in and get out. But be careful if you think you might be susceptible. The pitch can be very good, you're relaxed and enjoying your stay, and suddenly a timeshare doesn't sound half bad, especially with "world trips" and "any Marriott hotel room anywhere" available to you with the incentive points you'll receive from a purchase! If you even think there's the slightest chance of succumbing, check out www.tug2.net (Timeshare User's Group) first.

6. Oftentimes they'll throw in some extras, like golf rounds or show tickets or gambling chips depending on location. You'll get these after the preview.

I personally am very pleased with my MVCI properties. Haven't tried any previews except the one that got me into timesharing in the first place.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:16 pm

Forgot to mention that yes, it's just like a normal hotel stay except for the 90 minute talk with the salesperson. The rest of the time you are free as a bird to do whatever you want.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pvangordon
I personally am very pleased with my MVCI properties. Haven't tried any previews except the one that got me into timesharing in the first place.
Good summary. I usually do the presentations at all the MVCI properties where I stay/trade because they usually throw in bennies like a free dinner at a local upscale restaurant or the equivalent. Plus I'm actually interested in the opportunities at the property.
I own several weeks at Maui only but do keep an eye open for other properties where I might someday buy or trade.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:41 am

Programs: delta plat, hilton gold, marriott silver
[I received a phone call offering a Marriott club 3 day vacation and when I turned it down, the rep offered me a trip anywhere in the world Marriott has a property. Should I have accepted?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:57 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by terryan
[I received a phone call offering a Marriott club 3 day vacation and when I turned it down, the rep offered me a trip anywhere in the world Marriott has a property. Should I have accepted?
That doesn't sound like the MVCI type of offer. Your offer sounds more like what was mentioned in this thread (note read to the end of the thread as some of us thought this was an MVCI type offer as well): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574039

If so, personally, I think you did the right thing in passing.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:31 am

Be aware that if you do a time share presentation, they usually will not book it on the first day or last full day of your trip. Marriott always seems to book mine at 2pm, essentially ruining a full day. If you only have a 3 or 4 day trip, this may prove to be inconvenient for you.

(And yes, their pitch can be very enticing. Just keep reminding yourself how much the yearly maintenance is, how much the initial cost works out to over the years, and how many Marriott miles you already have that have/will translate into free hotel stays.)
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
I accepted one of their offers for a hotel stay (not in the timeshare, but in the nearby hotel) and timeshare presentation. It worked out fine ultimately. There was a bit of a problem finding a time that would work for me. They kept coming up with days that were one or two days different than what would work for my schedule, but eventually I found something.
The presentation was scheduled on my last full day at the hotel and did take a chunk of time out of prime time for the day. The presentation was fairly low key. When I said I wasn't going to buy into a timeshare at the end, the rep wanted to know how many of these I attended. It was my first and only.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:20 pm

I've been to one presentation and it was ok. Probably a little more than 1 hour with about 15 minutes trying to "close" me. So it took a small amount of time out of my day. No biggie.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:07 pm

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
Don't worry about the time they initially schedule. You can change it to whatever works for you after you arrive. You can even reschedule if need be several times.
Enjoy.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:37 am

Do you actually have to receive an invitation or can you call up and say you're interested in a particular new resort?
Old Jul 8, 2006, 1:19 pm

You can call. MVCI advertises for certain resorts often in travel magazines all the time. In addition, an MVCI owner can refer you. If you buy, they get rewards points.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:52 pm
AMA

gawd, i wish i'd have read post #3, part 5 before i went on my
trip to Hawaii...
bought a timeshare, turned out to be one of the worst
financial decisions i've ever made.

Do NOT buy a timeshare during one of these presentations.
At the very least, wait until you get back home and have time
to regain your senses.

IF you decide you really wanna buy one, be SURE you double
check the terms, and disposal of the timeshare. I was lied
to about this stuff, really got screwed(by the sales mgr,
no less!). Made a really stupid mistake of thinking Marriott
was a legit outfit, so how could I go wrong? Let me count
the ways...
Old Sep 22, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Does anyone know if you are allowed to participate in more than one MVCI timeshare presentation per year? I did one in Ko Olina earlier this year and have been invited to another in Phuket that I am now considering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.