Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Racine, Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott
Question Marriott Racine, Wisconsin

I will be making a trip to the Marriott Racine in Wisconsin in 2 weeks. Any feedback about this property and its nearby amenities, restaurant. I selected this as I have read about Racine being very picturesque.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:59 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
I have stayed at that property a few times over the years. With the last renovation it is now a standard Marriott business hotel (it used to be pretty bad, with its former Sheraton roots showing). By default, it is probably the best hotel in the area and can be frequently sold out because of the business traffic. There is a newer Fairfield a block away (I have not stayed there) if you just want a lower price and/or MR points while being in the area.

The location is near area compaines and manufacturing plants. It is several miles from the downtown and lakefront areas, which may be the picturesque area you are thinking of.

The hotel restaurant is OK. Keep in mind that the Racine area is not exactly a hotbed of fine dining. The concierge sent me to a couple of restaurants, all of which I felt unconfortable as a solo diner. I learned to stick to the chains, eat at the hotel or drive to Milwaukee, if I had the time.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
If I remember right, it's about 4-5 miles off the interstate. But, it was standard business hotel - big lobby area - decent room.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Plat
I've stayed there occasionally. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The concierge lounge is small but nice. However, the rooms really need a facelift. The bedding is new, but the carpet and old furniture could be replaced. Also, the heating/cooling system in the rooms are very old. During the time between seasons (ie winter/spring), the rooms can get warm. You can't turn the a/c on in the rooms until they switch the whole hotel from heating to cooling. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, there was a letter in my room offering fans in case the rooms got too warm.

Also, the bar really needs to be updated. I felt like I was stepping back into the 1980's......

Last edited by a6steve; Apr 12, 2006 at 1:13 pm
Old Apr 12, 2006, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And while you're there...

If you ever run into the Man from Racine
Ask him about his wond'rous Machine
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
You're joking, right?

I will be making a trip to the Marriott Racine in Wisconsin in 2 weeks. Any feedback about this property and its nearby amenities, restaurant. I selected this as I have read about Racine being very picturesque.[/QUOTE]

Racine, Wisconsin is picturesque?

ROTFLMAO.

Sagging economy, particularly hard hit by loss of U.S. manufacturing jobs.

Rusty cars, rusty buildings, rusty people.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Captain Mike said: "Racine, Wisconsin is picturesque?

ROTFLMAO.

Rusty cars, rusty buildings, rusty people."

That's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? While Racine may be an industrial city, its lakefront is quite beautiful; the Wind Point lighthouse is picturesque; its zoo, while small, is worth the while; there is quite a bit of Frank Lloyd architecture to enjoy; and the Danish Kringle pastry is to die for. And the people are friendly midwesterners. Yes, I speak as a partisan -- I went to High School in Racine. While I wouldn't necessarily put Racine on my vacation list, it's not nearly as terrible as Captain Mike would have you believe.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Captain Mike

Rusty cars, rusty buildings, rusty people.
I think you are talking about Kenosha (next city south), where what you said becomes a distressingly accurate description.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Local Yocal Here!

Originally Posted by keeton
I think you are talking about Kenosha (next city south), where what you said becomes a distressingly accurate description.
Being that I live in the area, I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in. First of all, it's sad but true, the Racine Marriott is probably the nicest hotel in that area. I've been to a wedding there, and it is your stereotypical mid sized city Marriott...the descriptions above are still pretty accurate.
As far as the city, it does have a nice lakefront, just close your eyes going in and out. It was ranked as the highest murder per capita city in the US a year or two back. Now granted, it is right around 100,000 residents including the surrounding area, but none the less, still not so nice. Dining options are pretty slim in this neck of the woods unless you like chain restaurants, and bad local italian food. I moved up here from Chicago, and was spoiled by the wonderful restaurants...not too much up here.
While not defending Kenosha in the least, it is starting to make a turnaround...the downtown lake front area is being revamped with the first Bob Chinn's franchise on the way, and several nice bars, restaurants, wine shops, etc. Unfortunately it still has the old factory town (AMC Motors was headquartered here...can't believe the pacer and gremlin couldn't carry that company!) mentality and people consider a big night out applebees!
The growth in Kenosha county has been amazing since I moved up in 2001, and it is only going to continue as Abbott labs just announced their intention to build a large plant and office complex employing close to 12,000 people.

Anyhow if you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to help!
Old Apr 13, 2006, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Being that I live in the area, I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in. First of all, it's sad but true, the Racine Marriott is probably the nicest hotel in that area. I've been to a wedding there, and it is your stereotypical mid sized city Marriott...the descriptions above are still pretty accurate.
As far as the city, it does have a nice lakefront, just close your eyes going in and out. It was ranked as the highest murder per capita city in the US a year or two back. Now granted, it is right around 100,000 residents including the surrounding area, but none the less, still not so nice. Dining options are pretty slim in this neck of the woods unless you like chain restaurants, and bad local italian food. I moved up here from Chicago, and was spoiled by the wonderful restaurants...not too much up here.
While not defending Kenosha in the least, it is starting to make a turnaround...the downtown lake front area is being revamped with the first Bob Chinn's franchise on the way, and several nice bars, restaurants, wine shops, etc. Unfortunately it still has the old factory town (AMC Motors was headquartered here...can't believe the pacer and gremlin couldn't carry that company!) mentality and people consider a big night out applebees!
The growth in Kenosha county has been amazing since I moved up in 2001, and it is only going to continue as Abbott labs just announced their intention to build a large plant and office complex employing close to 12,000 people.

Anyhow if you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to help!
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:13 am

Location: newnan, ga, usa PM and 2mm Delta, LPM Marriott, Diamond Hyatt, Diamond Best Western, gold NW, Platinum 6C Priority
Racine Restaurants

I' sure it's a matter of taste, but I found the Corner House on Highway 20 a very homey place, with excellent food and service.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott
Thanks to All

Appreciate the information, will let you know how it goes.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
If I could suggest a restaurant (in addition to the Corner House, which has already been listed), you might want to try out Helen & Craig's Bistro on Main Street downtown. The owners are one of the heirs to the Johnson Wax fortune and a self-made businessman. Though I've not been there, my parents have, and they both quite enjoyed it. The menu is typical bistro fare, not something you'll likely find many examples of in Racine. And let me repeat: you must have some Danish Kringle. Everyone in Racine has their favorites, but I tend to favor O&H Bakery. Whichever bakery you try, you won't be disappointed!
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
I stand (slightly) corrected

O.K. I will admit to overlooking the great bakery treats in Racine. The O & H Bakery is excellent, and the creation called "Seven Sisters" is wonderful. It is round sections of flaky pastry imbedded with rich vanilla custard and sprinkled with sliced almonds. The pan is divided into seven sections (obviously) and if you break off one section, warm it up, and have it with a large mug of coffee Kahlua, it's almost worth being in Racine. Notice I said "almost".
Old Apr 17, 2006, 3:12 am

Kringle --the food of the gods

Danish Kringle from West Racine is truely the food of the gods.

As for dining selections: I am from Racine (ran for the Legislature from suburban Racine twice, and once for Racine County Executive) I recommend Salute, which is downtown on Main Street. In downtown Kenosha I would recommend Mangia. Between the two cities I would recommend the HobNob ---beautiful view of Lake Michigan but the food is more ordinary American steak house.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.