Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Arlington, VA

Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 20, 2002, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion

What's the deal with the Crystal City & Crystal Gateway Marriotts' connection to the Metro? The area map at www.wmata.com & Stationmaster's Online shows the Crystal Gateway across Jefferson Davis Highway from the Metro Stop. Are both hotels really connected to the Metro? (ie- Someone doesn't have to walk outside to get to the station...)

Thank you for your support, and we'll leave the light on for you (Oops, wrong chain)...
Old Aug 20, 2002, 6:51 am

The Crystal Gateway is connected via a tunnel that also goes to a small mall. You do not go outside.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Neither hotel is terribly close to Metro, but both are accessible without going outside. Crystal Gateway is newer and a bit nicer, in my opinion.

Bruce
Old Aug 20, 2002, 8:51 am

I have stayed at both properties and prefer the Crystal City location.

Just one additional comment - the roads around the two properties are crazy - be patient as you drive around in circles!
Old Aug 20, 2002, 9:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Neither hotel is terribly close to Metro, but both are accessible without going outside.
</font>
Actually, both are amazingly close to the metro. Crystal Gateway you can walk either inside completely or outside. The walk is about 3 minutes to the Metro escalator. Crystal City, same thing. Also about 3 minutes if you walk indoors, 2 minutes outdoors.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Well, it's certainly not a marathon, but when you are walking through those tunnels, it feels like half a mile or so. I know it's not very far.

Bruce
Old Aug 20, 2002, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by back seat:

Just one additional comment - the roads around the two properties are crazy - be patient as you drive around in circles!
</font>
I have had a grand total of ONE experience driving in the DC area, and have vowed to never do it again.

Question #2:
I'm going to DC in October for a conference. Conference is at the Capitol Hilton, right now I'm booked at the Key Bridge, as it's the cheapest full service Marriott I can find in the area that is (relatively) close to the metro. (hey, what can I say, I'm loyal, and it's $30 cheaper than the conference rate at the Hilton... )

Anyway, using the same maps I noted above, there appears to be a skywalk or some such running over Gateway Park. I assume I'd use this to get to the hotel from the station?

Old Aug 20, 2002, 11:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by empedocles:
right now I'm booked at the Key Bridge, as it's the cheapest full service Marriott I can find in the area that is (relatively) close to the metro. </font>
What's the rate you got at Key Bridge? Is it much less than Metro Center? Metro Center would save you time as it's right on the Red Line. From Key Bridge you'll need to change trains.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Well, it's certainly not a marathon, but when you are walking through those tunnels, it feels like half a mile or so. I know it's not very far.
Bruce
</font>
One wrong turn in the tunnels can cost you! "I knew I shoulda made that left toin at albaquoikee!"
Old Aug 20, 2002, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by syzygy8:
What's the rate you got at Key Bridge? Is it much less than Metro Center? Metro Center would save you time as it's right on the Red Line. From Key Bridge you'll need to change trains.</font>
Hilton: $209
Metro Center: $249
Key Bridge: $180 (AAA)

I tried all the rate codes I could think of in the DC area, $180 seems to be best right now.

If I can find something that beats $180 once the fall specials come out after Labor Day, I'll switch, otherwise this is it.

I know Farragut North is closer, but I figured I could get off at Farragut West, take the 17th Street exit, walk a block north and a couple blocks east to get to the Hilton.

[This message has been edited by empedocles (edited 08-20-2002).]
Old Aug 20, 2002, 2:33 pm

Yeah, I see the price difference. You're right. Walk from Farragut West. Can't help you with the Skywalk question. I'm not in Rosslyn much, nor at the KB Marriott.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi empedocles,

Yes you can use the skywalk from the KB Marriott across the garden and the mian roadto get near to Rosslyn Metro Station .

Regards
TBS
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:17 am

Marriotts in Arlington, VA - Crystal City vs. Crystal Gateway

Anyone stay at either of these lately and can tell me the differences? I have seen both, know one of them is connected to Metro. Is the other one within walking distance to Metro? Any details you can give me on either of these properties would be greatly appreciated...one has Spring Point Saver rates, and one doesn't....does not really effect us, since we are going end of July! Thanks for the input. We will a family of 4 traveling, 2 adults, 2 children ages 4 and 11.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Crystal Gateway -connected to metro( almost on top off)
Crystal City- connected by underground walkway through a shopping centre. ( less than 5 min walk)

I stayed at the Gateway a copule of years ago and passed through at christmas- Fine hotel, quiet rooms, breakfast was fine and reasonablely priced, fitness room, smallish indoor pool ( also outdoor pool which is seasonal)
I did not have any status at the time so cannot cooment on benefits but had no complaints.

Regards
TBS

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 04-30-2003).]
Old Apr 30, 2003, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gateway is a newer/nicer larger property. It's got direct access to metro. If you're trying to stay in Arlington, but not necessarily in Crystal City, check out the Key Bridge Marriott. Gateway's a little more modern, but the service at the Key Bridge is stellar. In the Crystal City area, there are several Marriotts (Courtyard, a great Residence Inn, & an Ritz, but I've never been to the Ritz or to the CY)
Old Apr 30, 2003, 1:33 pm

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
The Gateway is larger and does huge convention business. They have a latte cart in the lobby that I love The Crystal City is a bit smaller and more personal, not as many restaurants/lounges but very helpful management and front desk staff and easier to get individual help when necessary due to smaller size. Both are connected to Metro and shops.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.