Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
Trying to decide between the JW and Ritz Carlton in HK. Right now booked at the JW.
My Wife and I stayed at the JW in HK and were VERY happy. The Ritz was not quite open yet so I have no experience with it... but the JW is very nice... the lounge is GREAT... view is reasonable... pool is decent and service in my book is impeccable. I'm sure either would be great, but I love having lounge access so I'd probably go the JW way.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
The view. It's on top of the tallest building in Hong Kong. And nearly brand new, too.

Bruce
But at 140K for 5 nights with lounge access at the JW for a plat, vs double that at the Ritz with lounge access costing, what? 100 a night? .... I can't think of any view that would be worth it. Go the the bar, check out the view and I'm over it.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
But at 140K for 5 nights with lounge access at the JW for a plat, vs double that at the Ritz with lounge access costing, what? 100 a night? .... I can't think of any view that would be worth it. Go the the bar, check out the view and I'm over it.
Would like the answer as well.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
A few questions about the JW: I'm planning on booking a three night award stay for me, my wife, and son. Executive Floor is $800 HKD additional per day. I'm gold, so have access to the lounge. Is there any other advantage to the Executive Floors? Also, are the double beds in the 2 Double Bed rooms large enough for two to actually sleep or would we be better off with a king and a rollaway?
Be prepared to be told that only one guest is allowed with you in the lounge; it doesn't matter you are on the exec floor or not.

The double bed is generally good for two to sleep. However, there are not many of those at the JW HKG. Good luck in getting one.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lax2010
Be prepared to be told that only one guest is allowed with you in the lounge; it doesn't matter you are on the exec floor or not.

The double bed is generally good for two to sleep. However, there are not many of those at the JW HKG. Good luck in getting one.
We stayed 13 days at the JW last November and the SO and 3 young children (6, 5 and 1) were all allowed in the lounge without issue. The lounge is awesome and we ate a hearty, varied and nice breakfast there everyday of our stay. Perhaps they would have taken more issue with us if we were there drinking it up the rest of the day (since there is a really nice spread at almost all hours), but we were generally off seeing sights and eating with family at other great HK restaurants during those times.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:09 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Originally Posted by apodo77
Is the Ritz worth the double points it would require to stay there? Also it would cost $$ to get access to the club as well.
No, I would prefer JW because of the location. I wouldn't stay in the Ritz even if it was for the same amount of points. But whichever you choose will seem the right choice in the end because of the confirmation bias.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta Plt,American Lifetime Platinum
Hong Kong In September

Have a 5 day stay planned for Spetember 15th and would appreciate any thought on the best location from all viewpoints:
Thank you In advance
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Just stayed 5 nights at the JW Hong Kong and it is a fantastic hotel, great location, and you can walk (inside) 5 minutes and you are at the MTR Admiral station, so you can get anywhere in the city quickly and cheaply.

The Executive lounge is awesome. have fun!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
My parents just came back from the Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel that I reserved for them back in May. They loved it and have no complaints whatsoever. Executive Lounge went above and beyond to serve them and there are free shuttles for airport, subway station and Disneyland (if interested).
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
there's always this thread.

i've stayed at the Harbourview Renaissance, the Courtyard and the Ritz. have not stayed at the JW yet.

Harbourview Ren:
i was upgraded to large Harbour view suites 2x at the Ren - rooms were quite humid and the air conditioner in the bedroom was barely functional. 10 min walk to Wan Chai MTR, under a 5 min walk to the Wan Chai ferry that takes you to TST. good breakfast at the lounge with a nice view. a decent gym is a shared resource with the Dynasty Club, a building co-tenant.

Courtyard:
i scored a substantially low company rate at this CY (sub 1K HKD!), so i stayed there a few nights just last week. i've been reading that it's a bit out of the way, which it is but you can get some decent local food if you can read chinese / speak canto. MTR is not close. the bus service is real. it's a big mini-bus, with one run cross harbour to the ICC at Elements, other runs to the IFC and the Exhibition Center in the morning. cabbing is easy from there, about a 26-30 HKD (under 5 USD) cab ride to Central. the trams running on Des Voeux road are another cheap option to get to Central, neighborhood of 2.2 HKD per ride, but it is slower and in Sept it will still be hot!

lounge food for breakfast was pretty good - blows away the most FS Marriott in the US, definitely not as diverse as the Renaissance in HK. gym is pretty good in comparison with what i normally see at CYs.

Ritz:
Is nice. Got a nice view when i stayed there, but if there's a lot of fog (or smog) that's all you might see, especially that high up on the ICC. very cool roof top bar, Ozone, sitting at floor 118. ICC drops into the Elements mall, and your transportation options there are cabs for which you will queue for with shoppers, office workers and people arriving from the airport from the Airport Express. the Tung Chung line on the MTR, which services Elements, is kind of separated from the other main MTR lines. super convenient to get to and from the airport.

JW:
While I haven't stayed at the JW in HK (yet), I've been to Pacific Place numerous times and have stayed at the Island Shangrila in the past. you can def drop right into Admiralty MTR, or catch cabs you're somewhat close to the peak tram starting point if I'm remembering correctly.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The RC has its own carriage entrance on its lobby level. I always see taxis there. I don't know one would walk all the way to the shopping mall taxi line. Let the hotel's doormen call up a cab for you if one isn't waiting.

They are also willing and eager to walk with you and your luggage to and from the airport express station. If you call from the train, someone from the hotel will meet you there.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I stayed at both JW, SkyCity and Ren

As to visit HK I will recommend against skycity as its really out of the way. Between Ren and JW I would prefer Ren as a visitor as it has better view, lounge is better at JW but how many times you plan to use it? They have great food but you are in the foodie heaven HK I found it strange to spend every night at lounge for their food.

Ren is convenient connected by bus and ferry, which can be challenging for tourist but MTR is still reasonable close by, and as other mention taxi are relative cheap it's not a major concern.

Hope it helps and welcome to HK
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
when booking well in advance using generally available rates, rev stays can be substantially cheaper at the Ren v. JW. i was looking at 1540 prepay v. 2800 pay at check-out.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Hong Kong In September

JW all the way. Best lounge I've seen. Amazing food offering.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I researched this extensively for my trip in September (going 9/8-9/13 before heading to Phuket) and we decided on the JW.

Seems plats get upgraded often as well in reading around on them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.