Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:36 pm

JW Award Stay - Use $ to upgrade to higher / Exec floor?

It's been a week, so I'm going to bump this to the top again if that's OK.

Still hoping to find an e-mail address to contact the JW to ask about paying to upgrade on an award stay. I can find phone and fax info, but not e-mail.

I'm staying in April under the old redemption rate (78K points for 3 nights). Does anyone here have fairly recent experience in being able to use cash on top of points to get a room on a high floor or even the Exec floor? I'm primarily interested in a good view, though lounge access would be a nice bonus.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:50 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Plat, Starwood Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Dia, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by rts123
It's been a week, so I'm going to bump this to the top again if that's OK.

Still hoping to find an e-mail address to contact the JW to ask about paying to upgrade on an award stay. I can find phone and fax info, but not e-mail.

I'm staying in April under the old redemption rate (78K points for 3 nights). Does anyone here have fairly recent experience in being able to use cash on top of points to get a room on a high floor or even the Exec floor? I'm primarily interested in a good view, though lounge access would be a nice bonus.
Here is the email address that emailed me when I stayed in Nov.

[email protected]

As a Plat, I booked a normal room using points, and was upgraded to a suite. It was nice, but remember, this is an older hotel, so the decor of the room is old school classic. The rooms are also much smaller than the newer hotels (like the W HK, which has fabulous rooms). However, I still love the JW HK. Super nice service, decent location (for the HK side), and nice view.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:43 am

LakersFan - thanks, that's exactly what I needed!

I got a quick reply from the JW and was told I can upgrade to the Executive floor room for HKD $1000/night, which is the difference between a basic room and those rooms on the nights I'll be there. At roughly USD $130/night, it's not a great value in my opinion, so I'm going to pass.

Based on the above, I'm going to assume that upgrading to anything other than a basic room will consist of the cost differential. As an example, the newly renovated rooms are listed as being HKD $300/night more expensive, so I may opt for something like that.

Does anyone know which floors the renovated rooms are on?

At this point I may just wait until I check in, see which room/floor I'm given, and then inquire about upgrades.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:35 pm

JW Renovated Floors

Turns out that the 8th - 18th floors have been renovated so far. I can upgrade from my standard award stay room to a Premium Mountain View room on the 17th or 18th floor for HK $300 + 10% tax per night, which seems OK for getting a somewhat high floor. Sure, I'd like a harbor view and/or a higher floor, but that'll cost more. I'm only a Silver so I'm not expecting any free upgrades.

Any thoughts on this before I take the plunge?
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rts123
..... upgrade from my standard award stay room to a Premium Mountain View room on the 17th or 18th floor for HK $300 + 10% tax per night,.....

Any thoughts on this before I take the plunge?
GO for it. A renovated premium room on the 18th floor with mountain view will be fine. Some rooms actually have partial harbor view (sort of peeking through high rises. Some offers view of the pools of the adjacent Conrad. For HK$330, it is worth it.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
JW Marriott Hong Kong Lounge Access for Guest?

Hi

My wife and I staying in JW Marriott Hong Koong for 7 nights in March. I'm a platinum member so we will get lounge access. Are we allowed to take a guest into the lounge with us - he isn't staying in the hotel (it's our nephew who is at university in HK) I wasn't sure if I could just take my wife or whether we could take him in too? Also, my wife is a gold member in her own right, so would this make a difference?

Any help would be great - plus any other usful info about the JW Marriott Hong Kong.

Thanks All
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:52 am

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
Marriott Hong Kong SkyCity

I will be staying at this property, any heads up as a gold elite for this newly openned hotel? Upgrades? lounge access on a sunday?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 1:10 am

hi, stayed there 2 weeks ago during a weekday as a MR Gold Elite, got a good "on the spot" arrival rate at the airport of 880HKD plus tax. an executive level room with lounge access (and thus free breakfast and evening food) was readily given "because you are a gold member" they told me, so looks that they know the rules well. one thing remarkable is that the lounge stays open till 12midnight, the latest I have seen in my travels, obviously in part due to their airport location. not sure about whether it's open on weekends, but i believe it is, this being asia where lounges usually are open 7 days a week. the fitness center is open 24 hours, with no attendant at night (keycard access). I hope you enjoy your stay, and do post of your experience afterwards. all the best
Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
Thanks for the info. i willpost them soon.
is internet free in the room?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
On this large thread, from post #333 , you may find some useful info.
I have a stay coming up, so please post your experience.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...g-kong-23.html
Old Mar 21, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
in HGK, REN Harborview or Kowloon?

Have 5 nites in HKG, purely as a tourist.

Harborview is about 70$ nite more expensive. But I am willing to pay that if the location means that I make more productive use of the 5 nites, which already involve a $2000 airfare for gf and me.

I've concluded that the JW is a bit rich for my blood.

Also am interested in amenities, especially quality of the CL. FWIW, I'm gold, and have heard that status gets me a bit furhter in Asia vis a vis upgrades, etc.

Any advice?
Old Mar 21, 2009, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Depends on what you're looking for.

Harbourview has a nicer lounge (still offered free drinks on my last visit). It is very much a business/convention hotel (its attached to the convention center). New beds but old TVs. Very nice service. If you get a harbor view, the vista is stunning. Watching the ferries is mesmerizing. Only downside is that the subway is a hike.

Kowloon is a (small) step down. CL is adequate but the service (both food and people) is not as elaborate. Hotel is adjacent to shopping and restaurants so there is more to do. Less hectic area than the Harbourview. Subway is nearby. Residential neighborhoods are only a few blocks away.

I've stayed at both and prefer the Harbourview because of its amenities. If it were me, I'd stay at the Harbourview and take the ferry over to the Kowloon side to sightsee.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I hate the Harborview. Hate it. I also hate the lounge and feel the service is awful there. Despite having some issues with the Ren Kowloon on my last stay, overall it is a very good value. The lounge is fine; nothing special but it's fine. Breakfast is quite good there. Both are convenient because the MTR is right there (and the KCR at the Kowloon). The JW is great, but I can't justify the extra $$$ any more.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by baglady
I hate the Harborview. Hate it. I also hate the lounge and feel the service is awful there.
Can you be more specific? I've stayed there 10-15 times and never once had a problem with it - in fact, I'd rank it as one of the better Marriott properties I've stayed in with regards to service
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
As a tourist, IMO, the Kowloon is better. It is right next to the Intercontinental with it's terrific bar overlooking the harbor and the Peninsula with Felix's. Also the Tsim Sha Tsui area that it is in is a very tourist friendly area. The MTR (subway) is much more convenient to the Kowloon property. Once on the MTR, getting to the HK side is one stop away, with Central and/or Wan Chai being just one more stop in either direction on the Island line. Central and Wan Chai are two of the very hot night spots. Lan Kwai Fong off the Central stop is terrific. The Harborview is actually in Wan Chai, but not terribly convenient.

As a Plat, I have had TERRIFIC service at the Kowloon property and fantastic upgrades. Can't complain. If you are paying out of your own pocket, I would also recommend that you check out the Courtyard... very nice property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.