Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Where was the source of HK$150/nite?
I stayed in HKG over New Years on an award stay and had to pay the HK$150.00/nite no big deal.

I would hope that the recent changes in stay anytime awards would take care of the nickel and dime cash upgrades needed for better rooms.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott, PC
I stayed at the JW Marriott Hong Kong at the end of March for 3 nights on a reward stay. They did not make any service charge, in fact they even gave me a 20% discount on my restaurant spending - I'm not sure why though.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Where was the source of HK$150/nite?
If you booked the award on line, the fee was always mentioned in the room description. When I booked last week, there was no mention of the fee for the first time.
Old May 15, 2007, 5:23 am

Programs: QF Silver, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat, Priority Pass
Question Harbour View or JW Marriott?

I'm just about to book a 3 night award stay in November. The Ren Kowloon is unavailable, but both the Harbour View and the JW are available. The difference in points is only 13k total. So I assume the JW is the better deal, or should I save the points and try and upgrade to a better view at the Harbour View?
Old May 15, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Markmat
I'm just about to book a 3 night award stay in November. The Ren Kowloon is unavailable, but both the Harbour View and the JW are available. The difference in points is only 13k total. So I assume the JW is the better deal, or should I save the points and try and upgrade to a better view at the Harbour View?
Only stay at the Harbour View if you are there for a convention at the HKCEC. It is attached to the convention centre. Fantastic if you are there for a convention (I have stayed there several times, as recently as last month). The hotel is very good - smallish rooms, but they are nice, and the service is excellent. But if your business is elsewhere, this is not the best location.
Old May 21, 2007, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Best view?

OK, maybe I'm suffering from information overload after reading through this entire very useful thread. But just to clarify, is the consensus (to the extent there is one) that the JW is the best hotel but that the Ren Kowloon has the best harbor view from the rooms and has the added advantage of being right near the Star Ferry? IIRC, the JW has a good view but it's partly blocked by one or more nearby buildings. Correct? Any other comments on these properties also welcome.

Planning a few days in Hong Kong with my wife next March, using points. I've briefly passed through HK in the past, but only for a day or so, so I don't know the city well.

Thanks for any information!
Old Aug 25, 2007, 4:06 pm

Hong Kong?

I'm going to be in Hong Kong for a long weekend in November and was planning on burning some points to cover lodging. Marriott has three properties in Hong Kong, the JW Hong Kong, Renaissance Harbour View and Renaissance Kowloon. Any particular suggestions as to which one is best? I'll be doing tourist stuff.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 6:03 pm

no doubt that JW is the best of three, however I have a question to ask any experienced people.

Which is better? JW Marriott or Hilton's Conrad, they are next to each other

3 night award stay are both available (78K Marriott Pts) or (120K HH Pts)

I am Marriott Platium, and HH Gold (not too much difference from Platium)

If anyone had stayed both before and has the elite status for both Marriott and HH, please let me know.

Roon upgrade chance, hotel itself and lounge etc

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 25, 2007, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I stayed at the REN Harbour View over New Years.

The room was so small I had to step outside to change my mind.

That and the smokers in the Club Lounge

I would go with the JW.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Last stayed at the Conrad was 5 years ago. Now I do mostly Marriott. Both places are great properties. Location being the same. It boils down to which place will you most likely get upgrade. I think your chances are better at the MR (being plat vs gold for HH). I had pretty good luck with MR. Keep in mind things could change a lot in 5 years. I love the c lounge at the JW.
I am sure others will give you a more detailed eval.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
Just got back from a 5 night stay at the JW Marriott in Hong Kong. Had a nice corner room with a view of the harbor. The room was small but very nice. Also had access to the lounge which was about the best Marriott lounge I have been in. The food was very good for breakfast and evening "snacks". The breakfast had a variety of hot and cold foods, including dim sum, congee, cold cuts, and hot breafast-type entrees. Tea time from 2-4PM included sandwhiches and deserts. The evening spread included 3 or more hot entrees and more cold cuts, cheeses, dessert, etc., etc. Also free wine and beer (I don't know if other liquor was free too, I didn't check). The lounge staff were all very pleasant and helpful as were the front desk staff.
I give the hotel very high marks. Exceptionally professional staff.
There was no smoking in the lounge (or anywhere in the hotel that I saw).
JW and Conrad are both connected to an upscale shoppping center. Subway stop is right at the hotel.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I have been traveling to HK for more than 20 years, and have stayed at many different 4 and 5 star hotels.

I have never stayed at the JW, so I cannot comment on anything except the location. It is a great location - if you need to be on the Hong Kong side of the harbour.

I have stayed at the Ren Harbour View several times. The rooms are a little on the small side, but they are nicely done and comfortable, with some nice views possible. I have always found the service to be excellent. The location is great if you are there for a convention (it is attached to the convention centre). But the location is not so good if you are there for any other reason. I do not consider this hotel unless I need to be at the convention centre.

I stayed at the Ren Kowloon last week. I had not stayed there for about 15 years, before this was a Ren property. It is an excellent location in the tourist area of Tsimshatsui, Kowloon, in the New World Centre, a major office and shopping center. I stayed in a deluxe room on the club floor. The room was large and very nice. However, my recollection is that the standard rooms are on the small side. The lounge was fine, with a nice breakfast spread. All in all, I enjoyed my stay here.

I hope that this helps.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:43 pm

I have decided to give JW HK a try, even it costs 78K pts for 3 nights, it is a Cat 6 hotel, hopefully it is closely as nice as JW Shanghai which is only a cat 5.
I also cancelled the Renaissance Kwloon because the standard room is only 18 squared meters (about a little over 200 sq ft), this kind of small room is so miserable that I am not willing to stay there if no upgrade. Although that hotel is offering points saver award now
Old Aug 28, 2007, 6:58 pm

can anyone tell me what is the cost to arrive at JW HK? shuttle? airport express? Hotel car?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 28, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by iwpingmu
can anyone tell me what is the cost to arrive at JW HK? shuttle? airport express? Hotel car?
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/...tel-hong-kong/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.