Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Ptravel - I was referring the the choice between the 2 Ren properties, since rebadc said the JW is pricing out as double.

Would you agree that, unless you are in HK for a fair on convention, that there is more for a tourist who stays in TST than in Wanchai?

The area near the Star Ferry in TST (Harbour City and the Ocean Terminal) is an easy walk from the Ren Kowloon, which itself is attached to a large mall.

I still find the Nathan Road area to be a fun place to walk around, tacky as it can be.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MW147
Ptravel - I was referring the the choice between the 2 Ren properties, since rebadc said the JW is pricing out as double.

Would you agree that, unless you are in HK for a fair on convention, that there is more for a tourist who stays in TST than in Wanchai?
It depends. There's a nice Budhist temple Kowloon side, though the name escapes me at the moment. If you want bad local cuisine, TST has a lot of "local" looking restaurants (though there is one famous dim sum place (the name of which also escapes me at the moment) just off Nathan Road. HK-side has the Tiger Balm guy's house (really quirky and worth a visit), the mid-level escaltors, a couple of interesting tmples, Hollywood Road, excellent shopping and the better restaurants. It all depends on what you're looking for.

And you're right -- the JW ain't cheap.

The area near the Star Ferry in TST (Harbour City and the Ocean Terminal) is an easy walk from the Ren Kowloon, which itself is attached to a large mall.

I still find the Nathan Road area to be a fun place to walk around, tacky as it can be.
I find Nathan Road depressing, but your mileage may vary. If the Ren Kowloon is that close to the Star Ferry terminal, then it would be a great location. The Star Ferry is a true bargain, as well as a great tourist experience, and once on Hong Kong side, taxis are cheap and plentiful.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:24 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I've also been looking at the Marriott properties in HK as I am planning a vacation there over Thanksgiving, is the Ren Kowloon really not a good choice for a great view? The location seems ideal. I heard the views from the Kowloon side are better and the Club Level rates are better for the Ren Kowloon, but since this would be my first time in Hong Kong, a room with a view is definitely something I'm looking for.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:28 am

Programs: SK
Originally Posted by aau
I've also been looking at the Marriott properties in HK as I am planning a vacation there over Thanksgiving, is the Ren Kowloon really not a good choice for a great view? The location seems ideal. I heard the views from the Kowloon side are better and the Club Level rates are better for the Ren Kowloon, but since this would be my first time in Hong Kong, a room with a view is definitely something I'm looking for.
I stayed at the 19th floor wich is the topfloor at Ren Kowloon and only had a limited view of the harbour. Basicly there is a building (some sort of mall i think) blocking the view.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by aau
It is true that the views from Kowloon over to Hong Kong side are generally better. And, unfortunately, the views from the Ren Kowloon are not the best. If you really want the view, and can afford a major splurge, look into the Peninsula. I have been traveling to Hong Kong for almost 20 years (more than 40 trips). Splurged on the Pen once. Had a 22nd or 23rd floor room directly facing HK side. It was just amazing. Something I will always remember (and I have some great pictures to help me remember).
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
We are planning this 3 - 5 day trip sometime between Dec 25th and Jan 7th.

Is there anything special on Dec 31st that we would want to be near or see?
Old Nov 2, 2006, 2:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I found the JW to be fantastically overpriced (HK3050+15%) for a mountain view -upgraded for platinum to harbor vew- closet. Both laptops billed for cruddy internet to boot. Restaurant prices in hotel around twice the price of many of the outstanding restaurants in the attached Pacific Place. I see a lot of raves about the executive lounge, but frankly it was overcrowded and not all that outstanding, imho.

The location is great, tons of restaurants and shopping right there and convenient to subway.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 3:51 pm

View from Kowloon are nicer

Originally Posted by aau
The Ren Kowloon is nice, you will be able to see the HK light shows and the skyline. It is not possible to see it from the HK side. Just me.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 5:46 am

Programs: AAEXP/Marriott Life Platinum
My take on hotels - Kowloon side

I am writing this real time from the 18th floor of the Marriott Renaissance Kowloon.

To begin, for the last 12-15 years or so, I fly paid first (my personal expense), but always look for value, at least as I perceive it, in hotel rooms.

I started visiting Hong Kong/Kowloon when the Pennsula was still on the waterfront.

I choose this hotel this trip for certain reasons. It is my first time at will not be my last.

Every 1st timer to HKG, especially with a special "other half" should insist and pay (don't hope for an upgrade) for a FULL harbor view room.

Those of you who have been there, done that, and don't agree with me, please think back, and possibly reconsider. The harbor is romantic and full of busy people working for food. Yes, its also polluted, they say, but I don't drink from, or swim, in it.

If you want harbor view, do not stay here. If you want a great executive floor experience, do not stay here.

Here are MY choices for FULL harbour view and executive floor experiences, at normally reasonable rates, meaning HK$2100.00 or less:

Grand Stamford
Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel (Prince if pool isn't important)
Sheraton
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:17 am

Renaissance Kowloon Hotel, HK-- any update?

Hi all,

Have anyone recently stay at the Renaissance Kowloon Hotel in Hong Kong?
The search didn't turn up anything recent.
I am particularly interested in the difference between the Standard room and the superior room. Are both of these recently renovated? How about the junior suite?
I prefer to stay at the Kowloon side, so there other two Marriotts are out of the question.

I appreciate any input! Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
Renaissance Harbour View Hotel Hong Kong

Hi,

I'm thinking about staying at this hotel on points. How is this hotel? Is it in a good area? How are the rooms? Are they good about upgrades? Which rooms should I ask for?

Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:49 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
It's far from being the best hotel in Hong Kong but where it wins out is on price. I regard it as the best value hotel there. The location in Wan Chai works for me because you walk out the front door and you're virtually adjacent to the Star Ferry stop to head over Kowloon side. If you want to use the MTR you can connect through walkways without ever having to get wet if it rains. Taxis into Lan Kwai Fong for a night out are pennies.

The rooms have incredible views of the harbour but the furniture is a bit dated. You pay more for a harbour view, although in my experience I have always been upgraded if I am saying four or more days. The service is good, at Easter one year they gave us free chocolate nests filled with a variety of sweat eggs.

The pool is shared with the Hyatt next door and is one of the best on the island I think.

It's not like staying at the Oriental but it is less than half the price.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:59 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Here's a link to the Hong Kong MR Thread from the archives; there's a few other threads that have information on the Harbour View.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535460

I believe I wrote a review in www.tripadvisor.com as well; I did a one night award stay here in January on a 20 hour layover. As a Silver, I was upgraded to a one bedroom/1.5 bath corner suite with a harbor view. I found it convenient to get to and to use as a base from which to explore the city.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:43 pm

I have stayed at this hotel 3 or 4 times. I agree with most of the other comments. The rooms are a little small, but comfortable. Dynasty Restaurant is top notch. Harbour view rooms are great. Usually a good value.
Personally, I do not love the location, unless you are there for a convention, as this hotel is attached to the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre. The Star Ferry is close, but the MTR (Hong Kong's great subway) is a long walk on a humid day (most days are humid in HK). The Wan Chai area is mainly known for it's bars.

All in all, a very solid and comfortable 4 star hotel. A great choice if you need to be at the convention centre. If not, and you want to use points, I would recommend looking at the Ren Kowloon.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
I'm thinking of paying for the hotel using points. Currently, it will cost me 70K points for the Renaissance. Is it worth it spend an extra 25K on the JW Marriott instead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.