Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:44 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
at which point the OP, faced with paying "normal rates" may just say, "never mind."

On my upcoming stay in Mid September, the rate I am getting is $3290 HKD per night (yes, for an upgraded room)...
Old Sep 4, 2006, 3:24 am

Programs: SK
Mariott HKG

I'm going to Hong Kong in the end of september and looking to stay at the Renaissance Kowloon Hotel at a Club Level Deluxe Suite. Is it a nice hotel? How does it compare to the other hotels in the area?

Appreciate your assistance.

Redcap
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Redcap
I'm going to Hong Kong in the end of september and looking to stay at the Renaissance Kowloon Hotel at a Club Level Deluxe Suite. Is it a nice hotel? How does it compare to the other hotels in
I've stayed there frequently. The only other kowloon hotel I've experienced in the old Hyatt Regency (closed at the end of '05). The Ren is a very busy hotel but the club level is nice. The view, if your room is facing the harbor, is spectacular.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of my father's best friends has a brother who is the GM at the JW in Cancun. He got my father a low rate for an upgraded room type. So, it is certainly possible to get deals by knowing people.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:58 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by macj86
The only other kowloon hotel I've experienced in the old Hyatt Regency (closed at the end of '05).
I also stayed at the old Hyatt, and then moved over to the JW Marriott on the island side. I preferred being on the Kowloon side--lots to see and do. If you're using points--JW was beautiful. One other thought if you're staying a few days and don't have to be in a certain location--split time between JW and Renaissance.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:57 am

The stayover is now booked, it will be a clublevel deluxe 60 sqm suite. The price is HKD 2200 + tax for advance purchase pr night.

I just signed up for a Mariott rewards card so im not using points..
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Yes, but most people don't have those connections. Any posting of such a rate should include a disclaimer that it's not generally available. Otherwise, people waste their time trying to get the same rate -- a futile effort, of course.

One might also argue that it's in bad taste and may violate a friend's confidence to disclose such a rate, but I won't go there!

Bruce
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Marriott's in Hong Kong

I have been looking for reviews of the Hong Kong properties and other than figuring out that the lounges are open on the weekend I am lost.

I see there are 2 REN properties and 1 JW Property.

The REN Harbour View looks nice

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 15, 2006, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Ren Harbour View is a very nice property. I have stayed there several times, most recently this past April.
It is directly attached to the HK Convention & Exhibition Centre. If you are going to HK for a fair at the centre, it is a great place to stay. If you are not going for a fair, I do not recommend staying there. There is very little of interest in the area. The MTR (Hong Kong's great subway system) is a 10 minute + walk.

I have never stayed at the JW, so I have no opinion. I have heard it is an excellent hotel.

I stayed at the Ren Kowloon many years ago (before it was a Ren property), so I can't give you a current opinion. But the location is great. That would be my first choice. As I recall, the standard rooms were on the small side. Go for the deluxe room.

If your business is on HK side, go for the JW. If it is on Kowloon side, go for the Ren Kowloon.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've only stayed at the JW, but we've been there a number of times, including once for a one month stay. Though the rooms are smallish, the property is very nice, and the hotel restaurant is one of the top-rated in Hong Kong. Great staff and a great location combine to make it one of our favorite hotels in the world.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
This is a mini Holiday for us.

We are interested in nightlife, night markets, shopping and visiting Disney.

I love JW's but a few of my favorite hotels in the US are REN properties.

I assume as a Plat the JW would treat us pretty well.

The JW is pricing out 2x each of the REN properties.

The Harbour View REN claims to have Disney close as an attraction.

Please keep the comments coming.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 1:31 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Disney Hong Kong is on Lantau Island, nowhere near any of the main areas in Hong Kong. Both Rens and the JW are in the main business/tourist areas of Hong Kong, so being "close to Disney" is rather a misnomer. Maye closer to public transport that takes you to Disney. But that's really neither here nor there.
As I understand it, both Rens used to be part of a different, local hotel chain, and back in the days when I worked in Hong Kong, that particular chain catered primarily to tour groups from mainland China. Don't know if things have changed.
I'd say that the JW in Hong Kong is really very nice, and is a step above the "typical" JW one would find in the US. YMMV, though.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
For a pleasure trip, I would definitely go for the Ren Kowloon. It is part of a large shopping mall (New World Centre), and walking distance to Nathan Road (the main drag for a tourist). Just go for the deluxe room - standard rooms are small.

The only nightlife close to the Ren Harbour View is the seedier type.

Nothing is close to Disney except for the on site hotel.

What time of year are you going?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:29 pm

Disney is easy accessible with metro/trainlines and they run all over HK. If you stay at Ren Kowloon you take the red line to Central and switch to the line running to Disney(cant remember wich).

I stayed at the Ren Kowloon 14 days ago at a club level suite. It was my first time at a Marriott hotel. I loved the club level lounge and the fitness area. As i stayed at the top floor i had some harbour view but if that is important to you should stay somewhere else.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MW147
For a pleasure trip, I would definitely go for the Ren Kowloon. It is part of a large shopping mall (New World Centre), and walking distance to Nathan Road (the main drag for a tourist). Just go for the deluxe room - standard rooms are small.
I respectfully disagree with your characterization of Nathan Road as the main drag for the tourist. For the uninformed tourist, looking to be taken in sleazy electronic shops, perhaps. In Kowloon, the area between the Peninsula and Star Ferry terminal is more interesting (I think), and there is a nice, albeit touristy, mall for buying souvenirs of varying quality. Hong Kong island is much better for shopping -- the JW is adjacent to a large, upscale mall (the name of which escapes me at the moment). The Hollywood area is better for souvenir shopping than Nathan Road -- better quality fake antiques, etc. Taxis are cheap, and the Hong Kong subway is inexpensive and easy to use. The biggest advantage of Kowloon-side is the view back across the harbor, which is why I recommend a Star Ferry ride at night.

Does the OP really want to go to Disneyland, with such little time in Hong Kong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.