Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking a Suite in Hawaii with Points

Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat; Delta Plat; Marriott Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Gold

I am looking at booking a 1-2 bedroom suite for a family trip to Hawaii in Jan. - Feb. 2007. From what I have been able to find searching it seems that most of the vacation club's have very limited inventory. I believe the Waikiki Renaissance has some suites in it, Not sure what else may be available that isn't VC. Has anyone been successful anywhere Maui, Oahu or Kauai in booking a suite for a rewards stay?
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Not 100% sure if this will help you BUT...I know that, the soon to be demolished and rebadged as a St. Regis, Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort has a Platinum Liason who can help you get a suite. I had a problem with availability for an upgrade for one night and I simply emailed her a request that she keep an eye for any cancellations and sure enough once the availability was there she modified my reservation and let me know that everything worked out. I was quite pleased with such service and wish more properties had a similar position (sure it's only good for high visibility/popularity marriotts, not good for a CY/FI). If you know which hotel you want to stay at, give them a call and see what they can do for you.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:03 am

Last Feb, I took my family of 5 to the JW Marriott Ko Olina. I booked 2 rooms (using two 563 Island Hopper awards). It was a HUGE chunk of points (especially because I also upgraded both rooms to oceanview).

They booked us in two adjoining rooms overlooking the pool and ocean. The rooms had a shared entry door and then branched off as two separate rooms, both having their own balcony, sitting areas and large bathrooms. Leaving the individual room doors open made this a large suite setup. There was also a shared foyer area with a credenza where we had the ice buckets, flower display, and an area suitable for room service table/trays, etc.

Looking back on it now, I might have been able to use less points by calling the hotel and asking about a suite on points (honestly, I didn't even think to do that then.) If that doesn't work for you, you could ask to confirm 2 adjoining rooms and it would be the same effect.

We also booked two rooms at the Kauai Marriott but were given two separate rooms (not adjoining) and didn't see any sort of suite setup. I'd think your best bet would be to call the hotels directly and ask how they can accomodate you. That will probably save you points and get you the best setup for your needs.

Have fun.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 6:37 pm

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
We just got back from a week on Oahu at both the Marriott Waikiki and the JW Marriott Ko Olina. Depending on the number of people you're taking, you might do well with a "family room" at the Marriott Waikiki. I changed us from an oceanview room to a family room for an extra $60 a night, which had two queen beds and two twin beds. The desk tried to tell me the new room was only partial oceanview, but I certainly didn't think so. We watched the sun rise over Diamond Head and could look out to Waikiki Beach as well.

As mentioned above, the rooms at the JW Marriott lend themselves well to creating your own suite. The doors to the hallway can be shut, creating a vestibule of sorts, and you can then leave the individual room doors open or close them.

Either place would be great. JW Marriott was more remote and quiet, and while I'm not complaining about the price of meals at the hotel, we did end up having someone go into Kapolei (5 minutes away) for breakfast and lunch most days, primarily so we could sample some of the more genuine, non-resort type food.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.