Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Would You Use 285,000 Points?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2005, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, former elite in several airlines, but don't fly as much now
How Would You Use 285,000 Points?

OK, I've been shelving the points for a few years, only using them for an occasional free night. Well, I'm at 285,000 now and thinking perhaps I should put them to use. I'd love your suggestions, as the options are many.

If you were going to spend 285,000 points, what would you spend it on?

I look forward to your suggestions.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 9:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I would setup a contest, and donate them to the first responder of your question :-)
Old Jun 16, 2005, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
Originally Posted by jonathansullivan
I would setup a contest, and donate them to the first responder of your question :-)
LOL, nice try....

IMHO, the best way to use a large number of miles is intercontinental premium class tickets. Twice I've cashed in AA miles for Business class tickets to Australia. ^
Saved myself SEVERAL thousand dollars.

But I'm sure one of the experts here will come up with an even better usage!

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
Travel packages are the best usage of points... Just redeemed one, and I'm back up to about 110k already!

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
The hotel + air packages are nice, good way to spend your points, depends which airline you participate in the code changes
Old Jun 16, 2005, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Holland America - Cruise to Alaska - 250,000
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
250K points was a common incentive for timeshare purchases in the recent past. Some TUG'ers got nearly a million points during the golden days of Marriott points incentives. Most have used them for travel packages, and then used the miles/certs towards international business class air and CAT 6 or 7 hotels in Europe/Asia. Some have calculated the equivalent expense in the mid teens (10-20K) range...
We're going to do exactly that this year, for an Australia trip.....

Pat
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, former elite in several airlines, but don't fly as much now
Thanks guys. Good ideas. I thought the package deals looked pretty good. I like the Cruise to Alaska idea, too. We went in 2002, and would LOVE to go back! I'd have to use air miles for that one - if you fly in/out of Anchorage, it's quite expensive.

Other thoughts? Has anyone cashed in miles for products? Marriott seems to really be pushing their new catalog now.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:29 pm

I've heard it said many times that merchandise is the worst dollar value for exchange of hotel points or airline miles in general.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
There have been numerous prior threads with similar questions. For the greatest value, the consensus in every one of them is to use the points for a travel package, which provides seven nights in a Cat. 1-7 hotel, and a huge number of frequent flyer miles on your choice of airline. Detailed descriptions of these packages are available at the Marriott Rewards website. If your consideration is not the greatest value for the points, then there are numerous other possibilities. As to the various merchandise items, there is nothing wrong with such awards, but the common perception is that they provide the least value for the points.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott-Platinum, Hilton-Gold, Avis-Preferred, GoldPoints-Elite, Gold Crown Club, Priority Club,etc
Adjustment

Originally Posted by fredlisancnc
Holland America - Cruise to Alaska - 250,000
Currently the points required is 315,000. I was going to use 185,000 with Carnival and then last year they upped it to 285,000. Now, the Carnival/Alaska option is gone completely.

You can purchase up to to 10% (31k for this reward @ $10.00/1k).

I was going to do this but now have 320k, so I do not need to to this.

There are other options other than Alaska.

Have fun.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 4:53 pm

Programs: SWA, UA, Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
come on...there has to be a place you've always wanted to go to?? splurge a little...life's too short
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Just wanted to add that although MAJORITY of merchandise is indeed a poor value, there are some items that provide a much better value than others. So if there's something that you particularly want and it has good point value then why not....
Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:14 am

Travel package. It's the main reason to be here at all.

-David
Old Jun 18, 2005, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by psychephylax
Just wanted to add that although MAJORITY of merchandise is indeed a poor value, there are some items that provide a much better value than others.
Which items are those? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.