FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   How can I earn more Marriott points? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/424704-how-can-i-earn-more-marriott-points.html)

marlin Apr 22, 2005 11:21 am

How can I earn more Marriott points?

Tell me Marriott experts.

I know the obvious like stays, credit card but am I missing anything. I want more!

Thanks

dougef Apr 22, 2005 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by marlin

I know the obvious like stays, credit card but am I missing anything. I want more!

Thanks

Sure, just buy a Marriott timeshare - you'll have more points than you know what to do with :-)

Delta3MM Apr 22, 2005 1:32 pm

Don't forget Diner's Club card as well as Marriott Visa - and I second the buy a timeshare idea - two years ago I bought two weeks for $11K each and got about 600K points, and turned it in again this year for another 110K points.

Billy

marlin Apr 22, 2005 2:03 pm

Billy, what do you mean by "turned it in again" ?

bigguyinpasadena Apr 22, 2005 3:06 pm

I wish Marriott had a link to a decent shopping portal.Holiday Inn(IC)has a really good portal-at Marriott we are stuck with that horrid skymart!

jessej Apr 22, 2005 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I wish Marriott had a link to a decent shopping portal.Holiday Inn(IC)has a really good portal-at Marriott we are stuck with that horrid skymart!

I'd even settle for an I-dine link :D

msrohud Apr 22, 2005 3:41 pm

Billy, what do you mean by "turned it in again" ?

Not Billy, but, owners of MVCI timeshares that they purchased directly from Marriott have the option of not using their TS every other year and turning it "back" to Marriott to rent. Owners still pay their maintanence fees and a fee for doing the exchange (I think it's $104).

In our case, we own at Ko Olina, KBC and Baroney Beach (HH). We always use our 2 Hawaii properties but turn in our Hilton Head every other year for MR points. When you own along with where you own determines how many points Marriott will give you (75,000 to 125,000).

camachinist Apr 22, 2005 7:53 pm

As an alternative to bleeding bucketfuls of cash into MVCI, merely titillate them with your interest.

Timeshare tours can be very profitable, points-wise. Inquire of your hotel concierge when staying in areas where MVCI has properties. They'll be very happy to help you out ;)

BTW, we do own developer intervals.....the main caveat with the points exchange program, beyond what has been discussed, is that points obtained thereby cannot be used for stays at MVCI properties, in timeshare units (some MVCI properties have hotel rooms as well, which are a permitted use).

Pat

BigLar Apr 22, 2005 8:07 pm

Thanks

For a good start, you've come to the right place. :D

Fully half my points stash has come from bonuses -- CC sign-up bonus, the periodic bonus Marriott runs (like the current Megabonus -- good for 30,000 points). I would not known about any of them had I not been monitoring FlyerTalk these last couple of years.

I ran some home improvements through the Marriott Visa - good for about 15,000 points. And so on.

Of course, you may be one of those folks who think anything less than seven figures (miles, points, etc.) is chump change ... in that case, definitely go the timeshare route.

For us ordinary mortals, just pay 'tention and jump on the opportunities as they arise. That's why we're all here, after all.

Delta3MM Apr 22, 2005 8:27 pm

By "turn it in again" I was refering to what the other posters have said: that is the ability to turn the week in for points. The amount of points varies by property. There are some properties that can be turned in every year (most are every other year) and some >125K points/year.

And, although you said "other than staying at a marriott" - don't forget the bonuses for staying at a marriott. In addition to the 10 points per dollar, I get 3 points on my visa for every dollar spent, and additional 3 points for being plat and 500 points for each stay (plat arrival gift - I never select anything else). I also get this if I book multiple rooms (which I do sometimes, if I've got a large enough group...)

The timeshare presentation are another good source - I've racked up well over 100K on those alone over the years. Promo's ( like the mega bonus going on right now) and the pseudo saving Bonus Bucks (saves money on later stays - but gives me all the points) all add up.

It surprises me how fast they accumulate. And I amost never take anything other than a package with air miles (235K/250K/270K) points.

I miss the old award chart(s)! The 440K award for two 10 day stays and 240K miles on United .... Got me to the olymipics in sydney in First class!

Billy

Cornroaster Apr 22, 2005 8:42 pm

MyPoints

You can also collect MyPoints and trade them in for certificates for Marriott points. It doesn't bring in a great deal (1750 MyPoints bring a certificate for 1000 Marriott points) but over the last couple of years, my wife and I have picked up about 12000 Marriott points, basically for clicking on email. If you haven't joined MyPoints and want a referral, send me a PM and I'll be glad to refer you ( I will get some extra points for that.)

jonathansullivan Apr 23, 2005 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Cornroaster
You can also collect MyPoints and trade them in for certificates for Marriott points. It doesn't bring in a great deal (1750 MyPoints bring a certificate for 1000 Marriott points) but over the last couple of years, my wife and I have picked up about 12000 Marriott points, basically for clicking on email. If you haven't joined MyPoints and want a referral, send me a PM and I'll be glad to refer you ( I will get some extra points for that.)

My wife and I have found more value in redeeming our MyPoints for Gift Checks...Seems to be a bit of a better value for the points. :-)

marlin Apr 24, 2005 5:47 am

Thanks everyone

BigLar, I am definitely a mortal. Cornroaster, didn't I see you over at Rewards TV....I also am a mypoints earner and found the redemption to Marriott cheques was more valuable to me.

Think I'll check out the Timeshare demo without the cash infusion although thanks for explaining the turn in. That seems like a decent way to own a timeshare-not committed every year.

FalseChecker Apr 24, 2005 10:26 pm

You could become the CEO?