Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite Credentials Arrived

Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite Credentials Arrived

Old Jan 20, 2007, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
Since we are able to buy points, I guess I could always buy myself to lifetime platinum, if needed.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Platinum, MR Platinum, SPG Platinum
Can anyone tell me why the 12 years is a requirement. I've already done 800 nights and 3+ million points in less than 5 years. I"m not sure why I would have to wait with no stays for 6 years once I hit 1,000 nights? Any thoughts?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by The Village Idiot
Can anyone tell me why the 12 years is a requirement.
I suspect that Marriott wan'ts its LT status to include some type of long term commitment to Marriott.

Given that with the Roll Over nights that Marriott has had for last year and this year, it is possible for some people to get almost the needed number of nights in just a few years. Also with all the promos, CC earnings, plus add in that Marriott recently reduced the points required, it isn't necessarily all that hard to earn the points needed either. So that leaves the 12 year rule make sure this status is truly a "lifetime" achievement.

I've always thought of this status as a "retirement" kind of thing (at least in principle). While one is still in their prime earning years, Marriott would prefer you give them all your business. As you enter your "retirement" years, Marriott is rewarding your for a lifetime of staying at their properties by not requiring you to renew your elite status now that you may not be traveling as much as you used to.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I've always thought of this status as a "retirement" kind of thing (at least in principle). While one is still in their prime earning years, Marriott would prefer you give them all your business. As you enter your "retirement" years, Marriott is rewarding your for a lifetime of staying at their properties by not requiring you to renew your elite status now that you may not be traveling as much as you used to.
Never thought of it that way...^

I only wish that I could retire at 35 when I get lifetime plat
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm nowhere close to retirement age, but now being self-employed (after F50 & F500 cos) & dependent on clients my travel goes up/down each year. On the down years the Lifetime Plat comes in handy.

And actually since I've gotten it I've thrown more bizness to Marriott than other chains. Guess those silly marketers aren't that stoo-pid

If one's travel is down & you've got top tier, why even chase status on other chains? Go w/ the one where you know you've got top tier.

On heavy travel years I get chasing the 2nd chain in case you're somewhere Marriott isn't or doesn't offer a competitive rate, but unless you know you're doing to do enough to get mid or top tier on the other, might not be worth the chase.

OVMV. Cheers.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:43 pm

I book most of my husbands travel. He is at about 20 years with Marriott and got Lifetime Plat. about 2 years ago. (nights were his lagging stat.). I find little change in his desired stay pattern except that every year he becomes MORE insistent that his stays be at Marriott. Of course there are exceptions if a specific hotel has been particularly unwelcoming. I agree that Marketing got it right by requiring a longstanding relationship to earn longstanding benefits.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
I don't know if I agree with the years part. All it means is that the person can stay at another chain for 7 years and wait until the lifetime plat kicks in. I would add another 200 - 300 nights to the nights requirement and then lower the years requirement as an optional way to qualify.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Given that with the Roll Over nights that Marriott has had for last year and this year, it is possible for some people to get almost the needed number of nights in just a few years. Also with all the promos, CC earnings, plus add in that Marriott recently reduced the points required, it isn't necessarily all that hard to earn the points needed either. So that leaves the 12 year rule make sure this status is truly a "lifetime" achievement.
How would Roll-Over nights shorten or accelerate the requirement to have 1000 BIB nights to be awarded Lifetime Platinum?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. Venkman
How would Roll-Over nights shorten or accelerate the requirement to have 1000 BIB nights to be awarded Lifetime Platinum?
Lets say that Marriott allows Roll-Over nights for 2 consecutive years. Lets also say that you have 350 nights the year for the first roll-over. So assuming you never stay in a Marriott again you will have the following lifetime nights after 3 years:

Year 1: 350
Year 2: 275 (assuming a Plat member gets rollovers for over 75 nights)
Year 3: 200 (assuming a Plat member gets rollovers for over 75 nights)

Total lifetime nights: 825 nights (and this doesn't include the possible 15 nights you could still be getting with the Premier Visa.)

This is per the latest updates from Marriott Concierge in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...roll-over.html thread stating that Roll-over nights will count just like any other night for the following year.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Perhaps a fortuitous example, but carry that pattern out 2 more years - 350 is exactly the number needed in 1 year to accumulate 1000 nights for lifetime PLT without ever staying at a Marriott again (350+275+200+125+50), if carry-over continues.

I must say I'm surprised that carryover isn't just the number each year over 75 nights *in that year* as originally described. I have about 175 nughts to go and this feature will pull my qualification in by a year or so (and I have a long way to retirement). I hit both Silver and Gold this year (thanks to the reduced points level).

Rollover certainly makes earning lifetime status easier, now that nights is likely the limiting factor rather than points.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Rollover nights is going to make it easier for me to stay with both Hyatt and Marriott and hit lifetime in 2014, the first possible time for me. I need about 200 more nights, and I expect to rollover another 55-65 nights for next year (even after getting bumped to PP this year). Nights and years with program are what I need for LT status in platinum. I have enough points (at the reduced level or enough for LT gold under the old point requirements).
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: MR Plat, AA EXP, Hertz Presidents Club, SPG Plat
Where is everyone looking for their lifetime stats?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by jetlagjunkie
Where is everyone looking for their lifetime stats?
Marriott now lists lifetime nights on the website. Just log in at click on "My Account Overview". Unfortunately, to see your total program points or find your number of years with a Marriott account you will need to call MR and ask them.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott PLT (LTPP), SPG PLT (LTG), AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta silver, Hertz PC
Bumping this old thread in the absence of a proper LTP roll call thread...just hit 750 nights last Friday, but showed up on my online account today...yay me! Not sure if they still mail any credentials for the status...any recent inductees?

To celebrate this good news, I left my Bose QC25 + Apple Airpods on the plane yesterday. This is the first time in about 2 years I took my Bose headphones with me (had forgotten where my wife stored them at home) and the first time I stored my Airpods in that manner, and BAM, both gone in one shot. Filled out a lost items report, but let's see what happens.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR Ambassador, HH Gold
They mailed me a card in the spring of 2017 for lifetime so i'm guessing they still send them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.