Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Dayton Courtyard - no hot water - compensation?

Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star

Its cold here in Dayton OH.
The hotel had no hot water earlier this week at 7 am in the morning.
I called the front desk and they were aware of the problem and trying to reset the hot water tank. (I don't know if that makes any sense).

The water was icy and I wasn't about to catch a cold taking a freezing shower.
I felt terrible for the rest of the day and was lucky to rush out by 4:00 p.m. and grab a shower.

Offered compensation: A free breakfast or 1,000 Marriott Reward Points.

I'm not very happy about the offered compensation. Should I ask for more, or would that be unreasonable?

Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Originally Posted by chichow
Its cold here in Dayton OH.
The hotel had no hot water earlier this week at 7 am in the morning.
I called the front desk and they were aware of the problem and trying to reset the hot water tank. (I don't know if that makes any sense).

The water was icy and I wasn't about to catch a cold taking a freezing shower.
I felt terrible for the rest of the day and was lucky to rush out by 4:00 p.m. and grab a shower.

Offered compensation: A free breakfast or 1,000 Marriott Reward Points.

I'm not very happy about the offered compensation. Should I ask for more, or would that be unreasonable?

Thanks.
In your shoes I would take 1000 marriott points and be satisfied. At the CY in Herndon we had the fire department test the fire alarms between 12 noon and 4pm....Not that big of a surprise to me when we had a 2 am fire alarm because someone made a 12 hour mistake. I wasn't offered any compensation and I spoke to the GM.

Look at it this way, if you lived in an apartment and you had no hot water because of a failure you're not entitled to get a discount on your payment for that month (at least it hasn't happened to me yet!).
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
I'd ask for more...

I'd be looking for more, maybe the cost of 1 night back, or, a more substantial number of MR points.

This was a major inconvenience, and what they offered you was an insult. I'd contact the GM, and if you don't get anywhere with him/her, contact Bill Marriott's office.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:26 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
I recently had a four night stay at an Embassy Suites and they had a gas main break and thus no hot water for approx. 40 hrs (two mornings). They comped one of the nights ($139) for the inconvenience. Granted my experience was more drastic than your experience, but your inconvenience was worth more than a breakfast or 1k MR points.

A hot shower is an entry level element/benefit of the hotel stay. If they can't provide it, for whatever reason, they owe you a discount. But perhaps not a full night -- 50% seems more reasonable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.