FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Using bonus bucks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/380490-using-bonus-bucks.html)

Carolellen607 Dec 15, 2004 4:34 am

Using bonus bucks

I'm new to this forum but need help. I am staying at the camelback inn in Scottsdale for 6 nights early next year. Stay was booked using what they label an "AAA hot rate" . Will I be able to use bonus bucks for this stay? If the room is not eligible, will I be able to use them for the spa or restaurants? I would appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks.

bdschobel Dec 15, 2004 6:56 am

You can use three Bonus Bucks on a 6-day stay at any "publicly available" rate. There has been some debate about whether or not AAA rates are publicly available. The official Marriott lurker says no, but others say yes. You might change your rate to one that is clearly publicly available if that gives you some added comfort about using Bonus Bucks.

My own approach would be to turn them in at checkout. At that point, few people will take a lot of time to argue about them. They'll just post them, and you'll be on your way. You might get an argument about not having turned them in at check-in, but you can find some excuse for that (like "I couldn't find them when I was checking in but found them later.").

Bruce

Carolellen607 Dec 15, 2004 3:15 pm

thanks for your input

DJ Dec 16, 2004 12:16 am

AZ Property and BB okay.

I have used BB's at that property no problem and with the AAA rate becase it's publicly listed rate.

Carolellen607 Jan 10, 2005 7:00 am

Originally Posted by DJ
I have used BB's at that property no problem and with the AAA rate becase it's publicly listed rate.

Since I planned to buy the bonus bucks on Ebay, I wanted to be certain they would be accepted. I received an email from Marriott Customer service which states that they can't be used with the AAA rates. I would change the package but since I booked a while ago the other rates are too high to be worth it. I guess I am too chicken to take a chance. Thanks to all for your help.

flyerwife Jan 10, 2005 9:10 am

I wouldn't hesitate to pass it to the Front Desk Associate upon checkin, as you present your Marriott Rewards card or credit card.

I might only try giving one....and if it's readily accepted, you can fumble and say "oh here, I found the others".

The worst they can do is say no.

900at Jan 27, 2005 4:49 am

When to show your hand

I believe the certs say you should mention that you have them when booking the reservation. From the comments I've seen, it appears lots of folks don't do that, they just show up and hand them over. The tone seems to be that they are accepted same as cash and the hotels have no problem taking them. Has anyone ever had a problem not declaring them when the reservation was made?

Thanks

mrcheaps Jan 27, 2005 8:25 am

Using Bonus Bucks

I have used almost 50 bonus bucks certs and have not had a problem of them being accepted. Even at a Courtyard where I have a negotiated rate. Almost all of the reservations were made on-line or over the phone. Only 1 time did I call and mention the Bonus Bucks.

The only problem that I run into is the clerk not knowing how to post to their system. They usually find someone later that knows.

Three things that I do: (1) Sign and Circle the Amount. (In case they dispute the amount on check out. I once had a $25 that I thought was $50.) (2) record the Cert # If they claim you did not give them one. I believe that it is the Cert # that gets them re-imbursed and the paper is their keep-on-site-to-confirm documentation. (3) Verify the posting before final check-out. Easier to change before printing or leaving. (One time it was posted as a charge, not a Credit - For my trouble, they only charged me for 1 night, not 2. Saved about $30 from what I expected to pay)

As others have stated, ask - the worst answer is NO.

jessej Jan 27, 2005 8:49 am

Originally Posted by DJ

i have also used them at the ewr airport marriott with the AAA weekend rate
and they didnt even ask to see my aaa card

SuperSnoop Jan 27, 2005 9:52 pm

Is there any way to use Bonus Bucks when booking a "21 day advance, full prepayment" rate on the Marriott website?

jessej Feb 4, 2005 7:52 am

as far as i know

Originally Posted by SuperSnoop
Is there any way to use Bonus Bucks when booking a "21 day advance, full prepayment" rate on the Marriott website?

no

bonus bucks can not be used with any online, advanced, pre payment rate

the only they they can possibly be used
if you are at that hotel, in person, and then book it directly via the fornt desk, and surrender the cert then
and thats a maybe

i tried to book a 99 euro rate in france
and was told that using the BB the lowest rate i could get was 125 euros
as the 99 euro rate was a prepaid rate and that amount would be charged to my credit card within 24 hours of making the reservation

then had the same thing when i tried to book a room at the $99 rate at the philadelphia airport renaissance

MsEverywhere Feb 4, 2005 12:09 pm

I have a res @ Park City Marriott in March. Since this is high season for them, they took a deposit of first & last night's room. I'm only staying 2 nights. So will I be able to present my MBB upon checkin or checkout, and get the refund?